Story Poster
Jimbo Fisher
Devon Achane
Sam Mathews
Texas A&M Football

Press Conference: Fisher, Aggies travel to Auburn for SEC clash

November 7, 2022

Texas A&M hits the road this weekend as the Aggies look to snap a five-game skid when they face Auburn at Jordan-Hare Stadium. On Monday, Jimbo Fisher, Devon Achane and Sam Mathews spoke to the media as the Maroon & White prepare for the Tigers.

The following are live, paraphrased notes from Jimbo Fisher’s Monday afternoon media availability:

• Looking at the game, back and forth first half. They moved down the field and points in the first drive. Defensively, they got some runs and boot plays. Kept matching on offense. Could not get the running game going. We had a chance to come back. It was 34-24, and we got another drive and, on third-and-7, got beat on a pass rush. We have got to come out in the third quarter and play better. We got to play the run. Fit the holes and tackle better in space. We have to find those plays.

• When you break bones and the knee goes, that is not strength and conditioning. Our strength and conditioning program is state-of-the-art. We have three guys out with turf toe. A finger can break on a helmet. I think it’s all bad luck.

• We are young because guys come out early in the draft and with the transfer portal. You look at top teams, and they are playing young guys. It’s going to be what going to happen more and more in college football if the rules don't change.

• I love the portal, but they jump in for a day and then the next day, know where they are going. You use the portal and recruiting to your advantage but do it by the rules.

• The players have been very happy. We talk to them every day about it. They like where they are going as a future. This team is a tight-knit group of guys.

• Antonio Johnson is a great player. He was in the training room right now. He’s trying like heck to get out there.

• On the delay of game on special teams, there was a miscommunication between the trainer and coach, and we didn't have a sub.

• Recruiting is a never-ending game, no matter if you have success or failure. People can be in recruit's ears 24 hours a day because of our world now.

• Sam Mathews could very much so far be a the 12th Man candidate next year. He can run.

• The team is not completely over the flu. Conner Weigman is cleared. He had IVs all weekend. I could not answer how many players will be out this weekend.

• We kept a lot of the same things we did a year ago. We added schemes and things. You have to do it each and every play. 

• Each team is different. Overall picture it’s the same principles. We have gained a lot of experience in the multiplicity of looks we have had.

• I don't want to get into injuries. No offense to y’all, but that tells the other guys who, what, when, where and why too.

• Tank Bigsby is one of the best backs in the league and in the country. They do a combination of things.

• We re-evaluate the program every year.

• We always need a win. You don't need one more than the other.

• I rely on why it happened. When you call someone for advice, and you ask what is going wrong, you look at history. We don't let the losses affect the way you prepare. In life, when you get out of whack, you go back to the basics. 

• Conner Weigman is QB1 headed into the weekend.
Discussion from...

Press Conference: Fisher, Aggies travel to Auburn for SEC clash

6,500 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Wrecking Crew 21
Gyles Marrett
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sam Mathews presser was one of the most refreshing I've listened to. Kid with some perspective.

Meanwhile we have posters on here talking about need to do things to Jimbo that lack decent morality a human being should have.
Sefton
Really liked his back story, like talking about going to his first Aggie game, his patience before he finally got to the practice squad, and where he is now.
I was also wondering if anyone's ever told him he looks like Tom Brady. ;-)

And Devon... man, not only extremely talented, but humble too. Great kid.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
I like Jimbo and support him, and like the fact he is a straight shooter and doesn't make excuses. HOWEVER....

the lack of O production in the 3Q and also bad run defense / run fits, you can only say so many times we have to do better. Everyone knows that. I want to hear WHY it is failing and what can be done to fix it. I don't care if we had 11 true freshman on defense that all graduated 2 years early to play CFB.... the run defense is abysmal and it isn't just physical, it is schematic and coaching.

Is there ANY reason to think Auburn will also not run for 300+ yards?!?!?
fieldtrailer
AG
Sounded like he's saying he can't use portal because only kids that have been bought are the ones that go into portal. Is this true? Does it happen? I'm sure. Should Fisher take advantage of it with a team void of any depth? Absolutely.

Terrible excuse.
sharpdressedman
No matter the outcome of any game, our players represent themselves, the team, and the school with great class.
cevans_40
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

I like Jimbo and support him, and like the fact he is a straight shooter and doesn't make excuses. HOWEVER....

the lack of O production in the 3Q and also bad run defense / run fits, you can only say so many times we have to do better. Everyone knows that. I want to hear WHY it is failing and what can be done to fix it. I don't care if we had 11 true freshman on defense that all graduated 2 years early to play CFB.... the run defense is abysmal and it isn't just physical, it is schematic and coaching.

Is there ANY reason to think Auburn will also not run for 300+ yards?!?!?

I am seeing LBs that don't come downhill and safeties that don't fit well. If DL doesn't make the tackle it becomes very dicey.
Batman96
Sam - Only Durkins Defense would call this walk on linebacker to move back to DB.

Kid seems great, just couldn't help thinking,.." so let me get this straight. You're a walk on linebacker that has done a great job of working your way up the depth chart and you get called back to play defensive back. Aren't we a little bit short at linebacker As well?"

Gtfoh Durkin
AWP 97
AG
sharpdressedman said:

No matter the outcome of any game, our players represent themselves, the team, and the school with great class.

Except when they don't or did I miss the sarcasm?
Wrecking Crew 21
At least we have great Aggie representatives!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.