Story Poster
Jimbo Fisher
Layden Robinson
Albert Regis
Texas A&M Football

Weigman's poised first start offers Aggies hope for a strong finish

October 31, 2022

Freshman college football players often need time to adjust. They frequently need some time to begin playing at a high level.

That’s why the stellar performance of Texas A&M freshman quarterback Conner Weigman in his first career starting assignment was unexpected to some.

But not to A&M junior guard Layden Robinson.

“He always has energy at practice,” Robinson said. “He’s always excited when he gets in there with us. He has a smile on his face. He brings that competitive nature that you need. I didn’t expect anything less from him.”

Weigman passed for 338 yards and four touchdowns and did not throw an interception in a 31-28 loss to then-No. 15 Ole Miss last Saturday.

His performance provides hope that the Aggies (3-5) can end a four-game losing streak when they host Florida (4-4) on Saturday.

“I thought he played really well,” A&M coach Jimbo Fisher said. “(He) Controlled the game. Managed the game. Poised. The moment wasn’t too big for him at all. Part of his maturation coming on.

“He was accurate with the football. Took care of it. No turnovers.”

“(Weigman) always has energy at practice. He’s always excited when he gets in there with us. He has a smile on his face. He brings that competitive nature that you need. I didn’t expect anything less from him.”
- A&M OL Layden Robinson

Weigman’s 338 passing yards were the most by a true freshman in A&M history. His four touchdown passes were the most in a game since Kellen Mond threw four against South Carolina in 2020.

His performance also begs the question of why it took so long for Fisher to put him in the lineup.

Indeed, Weigman might not have played at all had quarterback Haynes King not sustained an apparent shoulder injury in a 30-24 loss at South Carolina on Oct. 22.

Fisher said Weigman had shown considerable progress in recent weeks.

“When you play quarterback, you have to be able to do all things,” Fisher said. “It’s not just what you do. It’s how you affect when the other guy doesn’t do what he (is supposed to do). Can you get to this progression and this progression and this progression?

“It really started clicking. You could see it. I’ve always felt that about him that he was going to do that. He’s a hard worker, and he has a natural knack for doing things. He has a feel for things and an instinctive part of the game.”

Weigman might be the solution to the problem A&M has had at quarterback since Mond’s departure in 2020.

If he continues to play at a high level, the Aggies have a good chance to capture the three more victories required to qualify for a postseason bowl game.

Florida and Auburn, which the Aggies face on Nov. 12, are tied for 94th in the nation in scoring defense. Massachusetts — which visits Kyle Field on Nov. 19 — ranks 103rd.

There is potential for the Aggies to score a lot of points if they continue to get sound quarterback play.

Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Conner Weigman’s first career start comes one week after his collegiate debut at South Carolina.

But Fisher warned to tap the brakes on expecting too much from a freshman quarterback.

“He has played in one game,” Fisher said. “Let him be a freshman and play his second game. Let him keep playing.”

He’s certainly going to do that.

“He brought energy to the huddle,” Robinson said. “He brought just that excitement on the field. He was just ready to attack what he was doing. That’s always good coming from a quarterback.”

Notes

• Fisher said linebacker Edgerrin Cooper and nickel back Antonio Johnson are day-to-day for the game against Florida. Cooper played sparingly against Ole Miss. Johnson did not play.

• Fisher also said running back LJ Johnson is still with the team. There were rumors he might have left last week. Also, defensive back Denver Harris, receiver Chris Marshall, defensive end Anthony Lucas and offensive lineman PJ Williams — all freshmen — remain indefinitely suspended for violating team rules.

Discussion from...

Weigman's poised first start offers Aggies hope for a strong finish

8,671 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by StinkyPinky
big red dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Really excited about the future of this team. Sucks that we had such a drastic step backwards but I believe these young guys are going to bring this team back with a vengeance.
Aggie87
AG
"If he continues to play at a high level, the Aggies have a good chance to capture the three more victories required to qualify for a postseason bowl game."

Not if the run defense doesn't turn things around and actually stop runners. 390 yards given up rushing is more why we lost the last game than QB play.
laruejd
AG
The defense was much worse against Ole Miss. Little containment by DE's and LB not at home. One middle linebacker needs to stay home in case QB runs. A lot of talent on the field but poorly coached.
laruejd
AG
Four and Five star players, one star coaching.
Dan Meadows
Conner will do very well as long as the offensive line protects him.
RAB83
AG
Just hope we can keep the fish out of the transfer portal.
TX_Aggie37
AG
There are going to be some transfers. Prepare yourself for that. It's inevitable. Especially the kids that can't stay out of trouble. I hope I'm wrong, but wouldn't surprise me to see Denver and Marshall leave since they've now been suspended twice. Hopefully Lucas, Shemar Stewart, Overton, Anderson, Matthews and all the other defensive studs stay. Really important to keep Evan Stewart happy as well.
dlsarmi2
AG
Hope is great to have but NOT a good planning tool. CW (and the rest of these players) need to be coached/ developed. I (and many in this fan base) are very skeptical of the current state of the coaching staff on both offense and defense. Waiting to see what kind of coaching changes come after this '22 season that can facilitate development of players like CW, Stewart, DLine (and the OLine) into their full potential.
AggieBoiler
Those 2 fine young men make me proud to be an Aggie and optimistic about our football program. They show pride, dedication and commitment to the team and A&M.

Love that Jimbo selected an upperclassman and a fish for the presser. They both did a helluva job.

Gig'em
aggieclay
Hope like hell he's able to repeat that performance and build on it! Gig'em Conner!
StinkyPinky
AG
Dan Meadows said:

Conner will do very well as long as the offensive line protects him.
And the good news is (at least from a sample of n=1) the line appears to respond to him under center and work harder (=play better). Future is bright.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.