Story Poster
Jimbo Fisher
Max Wright
Demani Richardson
Randy Bond
Texas A&M Football

Texas A&M not looking to 'bail' out on 2022 season despite 3-4 record

October 24, 2022

A 3-4 start to Texas A&M’s football season is bad enough.

But there is a danger things could get worse with Ole Miss, LSU and Florida — all teams with winning records — remaining on the schedule.

The Aggies’ collective mindset could be an even greater threat to any success for the remainder of the season.

Disappointment often leads to disinterest. Losing games can mean losing focus.

The Aggies can still salvage their season with a late run, but winning out is impossible if players are checking out.

However, Jimbo Fisher said he hasn’t seen anything to indicate the Aggies are already throwing in the proverbial towel.

“I don’t see that out of our guys,” Fisher said on Monday at his weekly press conference. “I see our guys and the way they practice.

“I don’t see guys wanting to bail. I don’t see guys wanting to do that. Guys continue to practice hard and play hard. That, knock on wood, hasn’t been an issue with us.”

Some A&M players say Fisher need not resort to superstition to avoid tempting fate. They promise the Aggies — who started five freshmen in last week’s 30-24 loss to South Carolina — remain invested in this season.

“That’s where for some of the older guys, it’s important for some of us to take some of the younger guys under our shoulder. You know what, this is when you find out who’s going to be in the foxhole with you.”
- A&M tight end Max Wright

“I’m very confident that this team hasn’t checked out,” senior tight end Max Wright said. “As frustrating as the start of the season has been, there’s still a lot of ball to play. There are still a lot of great things that can happen the rest of the season that can still help us finish out this year really strong.

“I think that anytime you have a fairly young team and you face some disappointment early, there’s definitely a lot of that mindset that kind of starts to creep in.

“That’s where for some of the older guys, it’s important for some of us to take some of the younger guys under our shoulder. You know what, this is when you find out who’s going to be in the foxhole with you.”

Senior safety Demani Richardson agreed.

“I still feel a sense of fight,” Richardson said. “I know guys will go out and practice hard, keep pushing and not give up. We’re definitely together, but there’s definitely quietness. We’ve just got to keep going and keep going out there to fight hard every day.”

The Aggies must fight hard for any chance to turn around their season. They will need better results on offense, which is the lowest-scoring in the Southeastern Conference. They also need to bolster their run defense, which is ranked 12th in the SEC.

Ole Miss leads the SEC in rushing offense. Florida is third. LSU is seventh.

Slowing those running games will be difficult even if everybody is sufficiently motivated to play.

Fisher adamantly maintains he’s not worried about the Aggies’ desire to play and win.

“Our guys are playing hard,” Fisher said. “They see it when we show it on (video) it’s (success) right here. If we do this, this and this, it’s right here. They see. They’re disappointed that we didn’t make (the plays). They understand how. We’re trying to educate and teach. We’ve got to find different ways to teach. Find different ways to make sure we’re asking them to do the right things.

“But they buy in and see how they’re playing, how hard they the play. We’ve just got to get them to play better and coach them better. We’re right there.”

Jamie Maury, TexAgs
A&M hosts No. 15 Ole Miss on Saturday night at Kyle Field. The Rebels defeated the Aggies, 29-19, in Oxford last season.

Unfortunately, Fisher has said the Aggies were on the door of success for several weeks. They haven’t broken through yet.

Wright said they’re still knocking, though.

“It’s important for us to really lean on each other and rally each other rather than turn it into an individual thing,” Wright said. “It’s important for us to remember that. You know what, that stuff’s in the past. You can’t change how it’s been, but you can change how it’s going to be in the future.”

Notes

• Fisher said quarterback Haynes King is healthy and is expected to play on Saturday against Ole Miss. King appeared to sustain an undisclosed injury to his right shoulder late in the loss to South Carolina. He was replaced by freshman Conner Weigman.

• Fisher also announced center Bryce Foster, guard Aki Ogunbiyi and guard Jordan Moko are injured and will not play the rest of the season.

• Texas A&M’s game against Florida at Kyle Field on Nov. 5 will kick off at 11 a.m. CT.

Discussion from...

Texas A&M not looking to 'bail' out on 2022 season despite 3-4 record

6,601 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SD1971
MagnumLoad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
if he thinks Haynes played a great game or our offense in general did, he is watching a different game or is delusional. He said Ole Miss does a really good job of running it and taking shots down the field. My question would be, why don't we do that? 9 TD vs 10 picks. Why keep trying to put a square peg in a round hole? His words don't match what is happening. OK, all the Jimbo and King apologists fire away. I know, I know, no qb can be good behind our OL. I would note that a couple of times Weigman got rid of the ball quickly where King or Max take a sack. So, I'm full of it and we just need to keep sawing and expect better results. What a pile of steaming bs.

Edited to add I will be there for ole piss, and will be taking my grandson to the FL game. I just hope Fisher quits trying to micro manage our qb play by then, and will put talent on the field and let 'em play.

And by putting talent on the field, I'm not just talking qb. I'm talking Leveon Moss (sp?), LJ, Preston, etc. Not knocking Achane or receivers, but rotate, and use multiple sets, some 2 back. Quit seeing players as robots to plug into his video game.
I hate tu. It's in my blood.
TMF
AG
Actually looks like a lot of the team bailed. Jimbo has to go.
SD1971
AG
And we just lost LJ, Marshall, Harris, and PJ Williams, they have all been suspended.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.