Story Poster
Photo by Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Give him a chance? Time might be right for Weigman to see action

October 14, 2022

Twenty true freshmen have played for Texas A&M this football season.

None of them are quarterback Conner Weigman. That needs to change next week when the Aggies face South Carolina.

Play Weigman, Jimbo.

Do it because he was a five-star prospect. Do it because Aggie fans want to see him. Do it because if there are further injuries at quarterback, you don’t want to bring in a replacement with absolutely no collegiate playing experience.

Coach Jimbo Fisher’s offense is said to be extremely complicated. Perhaps, it’s too complicated for a true freshman to absorb.

Of course, according to unsubstantiated reports, King could miss the game against South Carolina with an injury. That may indeed be the case, but don’t count on it until you hear it from Fisher or Liucci.

Even if King is ready to go, Fisher could/should put in some plays designed exclusively for Weigman. Weigman has a big arm and outstanding running ability. Let him show it.

Those who disagree might argue a 10-win season — with a bowl game victory — is still within reach. Therefore, do not compromise that goal by playing a quarterback who might have limited knowledge of Fisher’s system.

Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Weigman arrived in College Station as a five-star signee out of Bridgeland High School as part of A&M’s historic 2022 class.

The counterpoint is by giving Weigman a few meaningful snaps, Fisher would be enhancing A&M’s chances of winning out.

Perhaps more than any other college football program, Texas A&M understands how precarious the quarterback position is.

An injury to Kyle Allen forced freshman Kyler Murray into action in 2015.

An injury to Trevor Knight derailed A&M’s College Football Playoff hopes in 2016.

True freshman Kellen Mond was thrust into the starting lineup because of an injury to Nick Starkel in 2017.

King was lost for the year less than two games into the 2021 season.

Max Johnson was sidelined during a loss to Mississippi State on Oct. 1. It is unclear when or if Johnson will return to action.

As previously alluded to, King was battered and bruised last week against Alabama.

He demonstrated his toughness by almost leading the Aggies to an upset of the then-No. 1 Crimson Tide. But given his injury history and A&M’s pass protection problems, Fisher cannot take for granted that King will go unscathed through the remainder of the season.

Therefore, it just seems wise for Weigman to get vital experience. Just in case.

This isn’t to suggest Weigman should start if King can go. Rather, maybe designate a series or two for Weigman.

Of course, should the Aggies' offense be on a roll and on the brink of taking complete control, Fisher would have the option to delay Weigman’s entrance.

Even if King is ready to go, Fisher could/should put in some plays designed exclusively for Weigman. Weigman has a big arm and outstanding running ability. Let him show it.

But eventually, he should put Weigman in the game.

Besides, A&M has had success with true freshmen quarterbacks in the past.

In 1987, freshman Bucky Richardson came off the bench to spark a 27-14 victory over Southern Miss. He had an 82-yard touchdown run in the win. He went on to start eight consecutive victories, including a 35-10 Cotton Bowl win over Notre Dame.

Freshman Corey Pullig came on when starter Jeff Granger sustained a concussion midway through the 1992 season. He promptly started four consecutive victories.

Ten years later, freshman Reggie McNeal came off the bench to throw four touchdown passes and lead the Aggies to a 30-26 upset of No. 1 Oklahoma.

Mond started in five victories after taking over Starkel in 2017. That included wins over Arkansas, South Carolina and Florida.

Maybe Weigman could add to that list of Texas A&M freshman quarterbacks who have made a significant contribution and have had success.

He needs a chance.

Give him that chance, Jimbo.

Discussion from...

Give him a chance? Time might be right for Weigman to see action

25,583 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 12Power
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
i think it could be debated that giving weigman a chance is the aggies best chance of winning.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Uh oh Olin Jimbo ain't never taking another question from you ….. nice knowing ya.
AgfromHOU
AG
An injury to Kyle Allen forced freshman Kyler Murray into action in 2016. That was 2015

An injury to Trevor Knight derailed A&M's College Football Playoff hopes in 2017. That was 2016

True freshman Kellen Mond was thrust into the starting lineup because of an injury to Nick Starkel in 2018. That was 2017
BobSaget
eATMup-Reveille
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

i think it could be debated that giving weigman a chance is the aggies best chance of winning.

If you're talking about winning next season, there should be no debate on whether playing him increases the odds of that. Oh and by the way, exactly what great QB play have we witnessed this season?
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
eATMup-Reveille said:

If you're talking about winning next season, there should be no debate on whether playing him increases the odds of that. Oh and by the way, exactly what great QB play have we witnessed this season?

none that's why i said it could be debated that he gives us the best chance to win. sight unseen so to speak/ hasn't played in college yet
Aggie1188

Weigman is twice as good as any QB we got on the roster.
Aggie1188
What's funny is how Olin tries to convince himself that our other QBs are not horrible and are costing us games. Yeah, the OL is weak but an evasive QB dodges a lot of that, and Weigman has always been the more accurate passer anyway. He even tore up the Allstar games, and was more accurate than the other QBs in our spring game.
eATMup-Reveille
Aggie1188 said:

Weigman is twice as good as any QB we got on the roster.

As much as I'm a proponent of getting CW into the remaining games, we don't know how he will perform, especially in the first couple of games. HOWEVER, that is precisely why he SHOULD get playing time the remainder of the season, so that if he is the starter next season, he will have SEC experience.
eATMup-Reveille
Aggie1188 said:

What's funny is how Olin tries to convince himself that our other QBs are not horrible and are costing us games. Yeah, the OL is weak but an evasive QB dodges a lot of that, and Weigman has always been the more accurate passer anyway. He even tore up the Allstar games, and was more accurate than the other QBs in our spring game.

Hitting receivers in stride would be a HUGE problem for opposing defenses.
Ian Neff
AG
Well there's no way Jimbo's doing this now. Olin, cmon bro.
LatinAggie1997
AG
Play him.
Football Fred
AG
He should start regardless of King's health. It's time and everyone secretly knows it.
Evanhue
AG
Quote:

and was more accurate than the other QBs in our spring game
While I think he's the best QB on our roster, let's not go wild. He was like 5 of 20 in the spring game.
Stone44
AG
Weigman is the only quarterback we have that has the ability to lead us to a natty. Jimbo knows this and so do the players. We need these freshman to bond together and work with each other NOW as we strive toward our goal. Having a young quarterback working with our young receivers for the rest of our season is exactly the development we need. Solidifying this relationship will give our young offensive players hope for the future and hopefully keep some from hitting the portal.
TxFig
AG
WORST IDEA EVER.

If the last 6 years have taught us anything, it's that it takes TIME to learn how to run Jimbo's offense. Let Wegman redshirt and use this year to LEARN.
NoahAg
Olin you're wrong about Kyler in 2015, being "forced into action." He played in the first game of the year against Arizona St. in the first half I believe.
Let's go, Brandon!
Houstonag
AG
Weigman would be overwhelmed by the failure of the OL to protect. He just does not have enough experience unless a new play design strategy is applied. Changing the play design to have more deception and roll out passes in order to buy time should be a strategy.
HoustonAg2021
We don't have anything to play for anymore you have to get him experience before next season.
Lake08
TxFig said:

WORST IDEA EVER.

If the last 6 years have taught us anything, it's that it takes TIME to learn how to run Jimbo's offense. Let Wegman redshirt and use this year to LEARN.

If I have to hear about Jimbos "complicated" offense one more time….complicated and vanilla. Yeah, great job, jimbo
HoustonAg2021
TxFig said:

WORST IDEA EVER.

We don't have anything to play for anymore. You learn by getting experience the most.
AzAg80
AG
I agree, it's imperative, now with Johnson out for the season, that CW get some playing time. One thing I would add -- let Connor play WITH THE FIRST OFFENSE !!!! So many times Jimbo gives a backup QB one or two drives late in the game, but with the second or third unit. The backup QB spends every snap running for his life because of no protection. That's not productive experience. Why does this even have to be mentioned?
Whaler
AG
AzAg80 said:

I agree, it's imperative, now with Johnson out for the season, that CW get some playing time. One thing I would add -- let Connor play WITH THE FIRST OFFENSE !!!! So many times Jimbo gives a backup QB one or two drives late in the game, but with the second or third unit. The backup QB spends every snap running for his life because of no protection. That's not productive experience. Why does this even have to be mentioned?
Unless our first team OL makes amazing improvements this week (highly unlikely) CW will be running for his life anyway. I'd like to see CW some, but I'm afraid he'll get killed like our other 2 QBs due to lack of protection. They all need to learn to throw the ball somewhere in less than 2 seconds to avoid being killed by our opponents DL.
dcg4403
AG
There is no decision here. Only a true idiot would start King over Weigman at this point in the season.

God, I sure hope Jimbo does not prove himself to be our $100M idiot.
northeastag
AG
TxFig said:

WORST IDEA EVER.

If the last six years have taught us anything, it's that Jimbo is incapable of adjusting his offense to the talent level and experience of his players. And that his offense is antiquated and easy to defend.
AggieDadxTwo
I think the author and a lot of you are missing a huge point in this. Have you not seen a number of 5th year QBs kicking the Aggies rear? App State ring a bell? Huge trouble with Arkansas last year and this year (6th year QB in that one)? I have also seen this in a large number of other "upsets" of ranked teams this year. The COVID year has created a bunch of these guys and they are feasting in the NCAA. Experience counts at QB a lot more than it does at other positions.

So do you not see the value in red-shirting Connor in his freshman year and saving his 4 years of eligibility for when all those other recruits in last year's class are experienced? Or we could waste now what would be his eventual 5th year when he is at the top of his game on a season that we all know has zero chance of a natty and only a small chance of a major bowl game at this point.

Connor may very well be a franchise QB; but he is also 18 years old at the moment. I would also hate to see his long term confidence rattled or get him injured playing behind a line that is still learning to protect. I suspect Jimbo will only play him if he absolutely has to due to all the other QBs going down to injury. And even then, maybe not.
HtownAg94
AG
When is the last time a 4/5 star that was worth the rating stayed for all 4 years of eligibility???

That's the deal - if he is that good, get him in there. If not, then we need to know that as well...
Jarrin' Jay
AG
This isn't 2020 or 1980. Extremely rare for a player to stay 4 full years.

It would not be a waste for Weigeman to start the rest of this season then still have 3 years of eligibility remaining.

The offense is abysmal and the QB play of King has a lot to do with it. He was benched for Johnson. He is a INT machine, despite his speed is not a good runner, and is not accurate. I would rather finish 6-6 with Weigeman starting the rest of the games than 7-5 with King.

Much of the 2022 recruiting class has played, it's time to get Weigeman in there to play with the other true fish to see if he can be a difference maker. We KNOW King is not a difference maker...
hogfan14
AggieDadxTwo said:

I think the author and a lot of you are missing a huge point in this. Have you not seen a number of 5th year QBs kicking the Aggies rear? App State ring a bell? Huge trouble with Arkansas last year and this year (6th year QB in that one)? I have also seen this in a large number of other "upsets" of ranked teams this year. The COVID year has created a bunch of these guys and they are feasting in the NCAA. Experience counts at QB a lot more than it does at other positions.
KJ Jefferson is only in his 4th year. Could still come back next season.
TX_Aggie37
AG
I personally think you have to get him some snaps so you know what you have. Going the entire offseason with yet another QB battle would be brutal for the players and the fanbase. I think it's critical to have an established QB1 for 2023 by the end of the 2022 season so you have some stability.
12Power
Who in the HECK thinks we can win 10 games with HK? The odds of us having a 10 win season are better with Weigman knowing less of the JF offense than HK who knows more.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.