Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Coach's son

4,201 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by agnerd
AggieArchitect04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If a kid is the son of a high school football coach and plays football himself, does he get more consideration or attention during recruiting?

Is it always deserved or validated by their play?
AgLaw02
AG
Very slightly.

No
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
AggieArchitect04 said:

If a kid is the son of a high school football coach and plays football himself, does he get more consideration or attention during recruiting?

Yes, they get more attention because the coach will know people. It may not result in a scholarship, but a preferred walk on offer.
Eso si, Que es
High motor
Lunch pail
Coach's kid kind of player
bowhuntr
HowdyTexasAggies said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

Yes, they get more attention because the coach will know people. It may not result in a scholarship, but a preferred walk on offer.

Concur, these coaches spend a lot of time together at coach conferences, etc. I don't think it leads to unmerited scholarships, but I've seen the preferred walk on happen at big schools.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Yep, really no different than any other industry. If my kid wants to follow something similar as my work....I am naturally going to network for him / her.
Paul Dirac
What is the rule? Can the team be made up of 300 non scholarship players? Thinking about Jackie's 12th man team.
agnerd
AG
Coach's kids won't get any preference in athleticism, but they will likely get a better grade for their knowledge of the game. Dad has probably been watching game film in the living room since he was born, and the kid was probably getting familiar with blocking schemes around 5 years old. You can usually rely on coach's kids to not get 15-yard personal foul penalties, miss a blocking assignment, target a player, or have bad technique. They might get overpowered, but they will be in the right spot.

Same thing as the band/choir/orchestra director's kid that's been playing their instrument 8 years longer than everyone else started, they're going to be better at it and probably rightly deserve more attention.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.