Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

I feel sorry for Haynes King

7,629 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AWP 97
Paul Dirac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He's a good guy and he waited a whole season to heal and get back to being QB1. He had to work with our O line and our wide receivers are not getting separation. Just like the uncle in Napoleon Dynamite, I was a genuine football star in my youth. These stud receivers are being coached poorly.
I was so hoping that King would have a great quarter

And you could see the enthusiasm on his face as he stepped up to the plate. I'm proud of him!
Paul King
Ag in Tiger Country
AG
Paul Dirac said:

He's a good guy and he waited a whole season to heal and get back to being QB1. He had to work with our O line and our wide receivers are not getting separation. Just like the uncle in Napoleon Dynamite, I was a genuine football star in my youth. These stud receivers are being coached poorly.

And you could see the enthusiasm on his face as he stepped up to the plate. I'm proud of him!
Paul King

Hell man, I grew up in Longview; I consider myself one of Haynes' biggest fans/ supporters, so I too wanted him to prosper but great success has clearly evaded him thus far.
AggieArchitect04
AG
I'm sorry but King is just not very good. He has more turnovers than touchdowns in his career at A&M and has struggled to really have a breakout game.

Many people are great at high school athletics and never materialize as college athletes.
Divining Rod
I too feel bad for him, and I've been hard on him in the context of not understanding Jimbo's approach to our QB1 selection.

Paul Dirac
In the spring game, what stood out most to me was that our wide receivers weren't getting separation.

I asked myself are these just really good defenders? I think they are, but a stud receiver is gonna get separation at least some of the time. I swear I could coach them up. Just give me a couple of practices. I get the feeling that they would say heck I knew that and they would privately voice their displeasure at coaching.
The first key is getting a good plant and then accelerating to get separation like it's no one's business. You want to keep running fast but you DON'T want to run at your top speed before the ball gets there. If you're running at maximum velocity it's very hard to slow down to adjust if the ball is thrown behind you and if you're at full speed it's impossible to accelerate faster. You can do a 10 or 15 yard slant and make lots of yards after you catch it. I think that almost always the ball should be thrown within three or four seconds of the quarterback getting his hands on it. An exception would be for a deep deep pass but even in that case all the receiver has to do is get ahead of the safety so you can catch a pass at 20 or 25 yards and still make a touchdown. Yeah, if it's third and 30 you'll probably want to throw the ball 30 yards.
Meximan
The O line is really bad at getting their blocking consistently right, and the wideouts are just doing the QBs no favors at all. I feel like A&M has been in the top 10, if not leading the nation in drops by wide receivers for the last 10, 15 years running. It's ridiculous how much top talent is there and yet they have bricks for hands... which is great in boxing, terrible in football. If they caught even half their dropped passes and ran even half their bad routes better the QBs would look WORLDS better.

Just. Catch. The damn. Ball.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I feel bad for all of us having to put up with this ****ake again and again.
BlueSmoke
Paul Dirac said:

Paul King
These kids get opportunities, nothing more.
alamogeorge
AG
AggieArchitect04 said:

I'm sorry but King is just not very good. He has more turnovers than touchdowns in his career at A&M and has struggled to really have a breakout game.

Many people are great at high school athletics and never materialize as college athletes.
You're gonna eat your words when he transfers to Oklahoma.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Aggieland!" -Davy Crockett
Aggie
AG
AggieArchitect04 said:

This
He has just proven to be a very average gameday QB.

I saw the kid play in Hs, he was very good.

But as guy above correctly noted, lot of good HS players don't pan out in college .

That's why I don't pay a ton of attention to recruiting.
I know many on this board do and even pay for recruiting inside stores , which is comical.
It has more to do with development than it does recruiting
High school football and college football are not the same games.
dcg4403
AG
Ag in Tiger Country said:

Paul Dirac said:

Paul King

Hell man, I grew up in Longview; I consider myself one of Haynes' biggest fans/ supporters, so I too wanted him to prosper but great success has clearly evaded him thus far.

I agree. I was a massive Haynes fan since he won the 6A and then committed. I honestly thought he was going to be the best if not one of the best QBs in school history. Yes, I did.

Problem is, we now all know it is not the QBs in this system. It is the system itself. Going to Jimbo as a QB is a death sentence. I would tell my kids to run if Jimbo was recruiting them and how sad is that???
AgPops
The last two were on the receivers. I have no idea why Preston was in the game, watch his reaction after the interception.
TyperWoods
AgPops said:

The last two were on the receivers. I have no idea why Preston was in the game, watch his reaction after the interception.

Preston quit.
TopoTacos
AG
I wish it worked smoother for King. His willingness to throw the deep ball is something we need to keep defenses honest. Unfortunately the line hasn't been great and he doesn't show great pocket feel.

That said, for all his fumbles and forced throws into tight coverage, I don't think I've EVER seen a QB suffer as many "bounced off receivers hands to the defending INT" as I've seen in King's few appearances the last 2 seasons.
Dad
AG
I like him better than Johnson just because he is willing to air it out. I feel like that is the only way to overcome Jimbo's offense. I feel like if luck would swing his way and he learned from mistakes he could turn into a decent QB.

With that being said, I'd like to see Weigman play at this point.
Showertime at the Bidens

I've yet to see King throw a tight, crisp pass. The ball looks slow and wobbly coming out of his hand.

Gyles Marrett
I too wanted Haynes to be great....but to be very honest, anyone who saw his long throwing wind up motion to release the ball that didn't have a few concerns doesn't understand the speed of the game difference from high school to college. That extra time to release the ball was troubling.

At this point between the 3 I only feel sorry for CW. Sit on the bench watching the disaster QB play and yet to be given a chance.
Aggie_Nuke
AG

King needs to be placed back to QB3, with Conner as QB2. I don't want to see King again this season unless both Conner and Max are unable to play.

What's the problem in letting Conner have a try for a whole game ? Certainly won't matter as far as our season goes, or any chance at post-season play. So, give him a fair chance and see what he can do. We've already seen enough of King, and he's had his chances.

The ONLY valid ANNUAL goal for ALL Aggie Sports is a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Gig'em !
FTAC '73
HalifaxAg
AG
Nothing against the kid, but his throws are behind the receiver. Every time, the receiver is having to stop or go to his knees to catch it. That is what has also contributed to INTs and tipped balls. I think the game is too fast for him at this level. Not saying he couldn't get there, but he isn't ready for primetime.
Specialized
AG
Aggie said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

This
He has just proven to be a very average gameday QB.

I saw the kid play in Hs, he was very good.

But as guy above correctly noted, lot of good HS players don't pan out in college .

That's why I don't pay a ton of attention to recruiting.
I know many on this board do and even pay for recruiting inside stores , which is comical.
It has more to do with development than it does recruiting
High school football and college football are not the same games.

This is easily proven to be untrue.
Gyles Marrett
Aggie_Nuke said:

King needs to be placed back to QB3, with Conner as QB2. I don't want to see King again this season unless both Conner and Max are unable to play.

What's the problem in letting Conner have a try for a whole game ? Certainly won't matter as far as our season goes, or any chance at post-season play. So, give him a fair chance and see what he can do. We've already seen enough of King, and he's had his chances.

This is what I don't understand. No one would blame Jimbo and he'd have nothing to lose by saying CW is our future. He's QB1 and starting Saturday. Then build from there. It actually would make the most sense as far as a decision about the QB position currently instead of going back and forth between two underwhelming QB's with CW watching from the sideline.
12Power
King's HS passing yards looks to be mostly long straight passes. He is not accurate on timing routes or touch passes. We do not have a very good QB evaluator on our staff. King, Calzada, Stowers all busts. Hopefully Weigman is the answer.
The Grinder (99)
AG
I could imagine a scenario where Jimbo doesn't want to start CW against Alabama for his first action, but moves to him afterward. Yes, if CW came out and played great against bama that could do wonders but if he got beat up behind this o line in his first start, the damage could be bad mentally.

A bad game Saturday by king could give N great opportunity to start CW against S Carolina after a bye week
OKC~Ag
I am sad to see A&M fan base has soured on Kings prospects. I wish it was otherwise...

I would just say King has been just unlucky with his interceptions...assigning all the interceptions to king seems unfair but certainly his interception numbers are too high.

Anyway, it wouldn't be surprising, if he goes through portal in January and king flourishes with new team next year...we'll be left wondering what could have been if things worked out...who's that QB that fled us and ended up in ou?
oysterbayAG
AG
Haynes King is going to be under tremendous pressure to prove himself against #1 Alabama. knowing this may be his last shot. It will be very interesting to see how he handles it. Good luck to him. You never know, maybe we will get 2 six picks and 2 scoop and scores along with 2 or 3 targeting calls etc.
Houstonag
AG
14 points were from turnovers. Missed FG for six then the PI for six. Then another TD with our defender getting beat on the left side for six for a long TD.That is 21 points on mistakes.
Bunk Moreland
Houstonag said:

14 points were from turnovers. Missed FG for six then the PI for six. Then another TD with our defender getting beat on the left side for six for a long TD.That is 21 points on mistakes.

Then a dropped pick 6 and a dropped TD and a fumble at the 3 going in. That's 21 more points not scored on mistakes.
dixichkn
AG
The Grinder (99) said:

I could imagine a scenario where Jimbo doesn't want to start CW against Alabama for his first action, but moves to him afterward. Yes, if CW came out and played great against bama that could do wonders but if he got beat up behind this o line in his first start, the damage could be bad mentally.

A bad game Saturday by king could give N great opportunity to start CW against S Carolina after a bye week
This. Plus, if there are TRULY any offensive changes in scheme/playcalling forthcoming that would give us an extra week to work on them
SilverTongueDevil
I know a lot of people were able to excuse last year due to King's injury so early in the season. 8-4 but could have been 9-3 or 10-2 if he doesn't get hurt. That ship has sailed. He's 3 years into the program and clearly not up to the job. He won the job 2x in Fall camp which might indicate he's a good practice player. I do put a lot of the development issues on the coaches but I am stunned has looked this bad. He had a good chance Saturday to head in the right direction. He made some nice plays to start but then here comes the turnover machine.
Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. Vince Lombardi
mncag
50 % king 50% scheme /coaching issues.
He needs to be in more hunh wide open offense.
That doesn't mean bombs away play
AWP 97
AG
dcg4403 said:

Ag in Tiger Country said:

Paul Dirac said:

Paul King

I agree. I was a massive Haynes fan since he won the 6A and then committed. I honestly thought he was going to be the best if not one of the best QBs in school history. Yes, I did.

Problem is, we now all know it is not the QBs in this system. It is the system itself. Going to Jimbo as a QB is a death sentence. I would tell my kids to run if Jimbo was recruiting them and how sad is that???

I'm as diehard Aggie as there is but I don't think I would send my QB son to play for Fisher in the current state of Aggie football. At least, if my son had any aspirations of winning or playing in the NFL. I'm not even sure Trevor Lawrence could overcome this team's deficiencies right now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.