Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Y'all remember when Sherman….

7,847 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
Teslag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wahoo82 said:

Teslag said:

Sherman's biggest problem is that he never could grasp how important momentum was in the college game. He approached it like the NFL, and played the percentages as such. This allowed his teams to get lethargic as he went into conservative second half shells trying to control the ball.
IMO He was just figuring that out when we fired him. I would have loved to see him get a couple more years at the helm.

He was "figuring it out" in his last year when he was the worst at it?
hunter2012
AG
Jimbo's Playbook:

ElephantRider
AG
MarylandAG said:

Didn't he start Jerrod first? Tanny was playing WR. Then I think Jerrod got hurt.
Jerrod was the starter for the first half of the season and was awful. Might have been due to a lingering injury. That sounds right, but I don't remember for sure.
duffelpud
AG
Jimbo could bring in the listeater to trim his stacks. I'd pay to see that!

"What's this button do?"
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

Ahhh yes. The magical "Poop Slap" season.

Yep, it was the same week as the infamous poop slap was laid out. Ole boy still owes us a poop slap. Welcher.
JohnLA762
AG
Just Tired said:

actually i heard he tried to burn the playbook but couldn't execute it.

Actually, he executed it, but the stone tablets they were written on wouldn't catch fire.

Ya know, cause it's so antiquated/ancient and all.
Win At Life
AG
Just Tired said:

actually i heard he tried to burn the playbook but couldn't execute it.
Actually, he only burned the first half of the playbook. The second half just fizzled.
SinKiller
MarylandAG said:

Sherman had issues closing out games but damn he could evaluate O line talent and had the right staff to coach them up. If I am not mistaken that was his roots, he was an O line coach when he started. Sumlin owes him because he recruited most of the o line Sumlin and JFF inherited. Maybe I'm wrong. I recall he got fired while out recruiting, probably was in a recruit driveway when he got the call.
He was head coach of the Green Bay Packers...He didn't fall off of a turnip truck like some will suggest. Losing halftime leads in this era of high-flying offenses really isn't the big deal people make of it. Sure the L sucks, but it's much easier to score nowadays.
ABATTBQ11
AG
AggieSteel said:

so we light the playbook tomorrow at dawn?

More like the entire Bright complex
waco_aggie05
AG
I thought part of his firing was due to him vocally opposing going to the sec
CrottyKid
AG
You are correct, but I doubt Jimbo sees it that way.
GIF Reactor
AG
HanktheAg
AG
He changed because the qb got injured.
Sterling82
HanktheAg said:

He changed because the qb got injured.

I believe this is correct. Johnson was a great prospect until that. I also would say Mike Sherman was one of the best O-Line coaches in the history of A&M football. As a head coach he took over a depleted and demoralized program and went from awful to 6-7 to 9-4 in the course of 3 years. By 2011 we truly had a team poised to win the B12 and were up 21-3 on OSU in our first conference game before melting down in the second half. That scenario persisted all season resulting in a horrifically infuriating season. Nevertheless, Sherman was on the cusp of landing a great recruiting class. I still believe he could have done great things here and think his downfall was in the S&C as we were gassed the entire second half of the OSU game. The departure of DeRuyter accelerated the decision because the powers that be didn't think we could replace him with a good DC with Sherman on the hot seat. The fear of getting dominated in the SEC prevailed.
jokershady
AG
ElephantRider said:

MarylandAG said:

Didn't he start Jerrod first? Tanny was playing WR. Then I think Jerrod got hurt.
Jerrod was the starter for the first half of the season and was awful. Might have been due to a lingering injury. That sounds right, but I don't remember for sure.
that is correct. This was the season with the massive 2nd half screw ups where we had big leads against ok state and Arkansas and blew it in the 2nd half.

Was also the season that when during the Nebraska game the entire stadium went insane when they called JJ's name for senior night and we chanted his name.
Stat Monitor Repairman
How is a matter of motivation?

You at the biggest school in the best division of college football.

In one of the biggest stadiums in college football.

Double the asses in seats of the average NFL game.

You guaranteed to have a shot at the #1 ranked team every year.

The players at all schools are the absolute best-of-the-best.

Jimbo is right.

At the end of the day it ain't about Jimbo.

It's about the players executing.

Jimbo taking a bunch of flack unnecessarily.

The main point is that I'm sunshine pumpin' Jimbo.

A ya'll mfers need to not go crazy and wait all this this out.

It ain't about Jimbo

Y'all mad. I get it. But it ain't about Jimbo.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.