Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Y'all remember when Sherman….

7,849 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In 2010 gathered all the players around at practice after the embarrassing home loss to Missouri to have us at 3-3 and he took the offensive playbook and set it on fire at the beginning of practice? Changed our entire offensive strategy and went 6-0 to finish the season at 9-3.

I wonder if jimbo has figured out whatever sherm did that season and is willing to do the equivalent…..probably not….
AggieSteel
AG
so we light the playbook tomorrow at dawn?
Drum5343
AG
It was the game tape that he burned.

Also, looking back… that was my zip year in the band. That year started my unhealthy obsession with Aggie football because of how awesome it was.

So if I die an untimely death, it's all Sherman's fault.
SECAg13
AG
Then the following year we were very highly ranked and had a double digit lead at halftime for every game except OU. Second half collapses led to us finishing 6-6 and Sherm getting fired.
My Name Is Judge
Don't worry about anything like that happening this year

Jimbo has faith in his scheme & faith in durkin's scheme

He said so in his presser, less than 48 hours after getting fisted by the pirate on national tv…

True story
Just Tired
actually i heard he tried to burn the playbook but couldn't execute it.
MarylandAG
Sherman had issues closing out games but damn he could evaluate O line talent and had the right staff to coach them up. If I am not mistaken that was his roots, he was an O line coach when he started. Sumlin owes him because he recruited most of the o line Sumlin and JFF inherited. Maybe I'm wrong. I recall he got fired while out recruiting, probably was in a recruit driveway when he got the call.
ElephantRider
AG
Didn't a lot of that have to do with starting Tannehill over Jerrod?
MarylandAG
Didn't he start Jerrod first? Tanny was playing WR. Then I think Jerrod got hurt.
AGDAD14
That was my first year as an Aggie dad. I made a lot of old Ags upset when I kept telling them our QB was not good enough. Coach finally made the change at QB. It was a fun season after Tannehill took over with a couple of young offensive lineman leading the way.
12Power
I was at that Mizzou game. I have the same frustrations now as I had back then. The OSU loss was just as frustrating..
Teslag
AG
Sherman's biggest problem is that he never could grasp how important momentum was in the college game. He approached it like the NFL, and played the percentages as such. This allowed his teams to get lethargic as he went into conservative second half shells trying to control the ball.
phatty26
That schedule was nowhere near as hard as what we play now. If we see us clean up mistakes yall wont be calling for his head.
_mpaul
AG
jokershady said:

In 2010 gathered all the players around at practice after the embarrassing home loss to Missouri to have us at 3-3 and he took the offensive playbook and set it on fire at the beginning of practice? Changed our entire offensive strategy and went 6-0 to finish the season at 9-3.

I wonder if jimbo has figured out whatever sherm did that season and is willing to do the equivalent…..probably not….
I know. After he burned the playbook, we lit it up against NU and OU that year, right?
Paper. An insane deer. Taco meat.
The Dirty Sock
2011….never forget
jokershady
AG
_mpaul said:

jokershady said:

I know. After he burned the playbook, we lit it up against NU and OU that year, right?
yup.

OU was the epic defense where on 3 different occasions we stopped them at 4th and goal.

NU was one of the craziest games I ever attended. Night game where every fan in the stands was yelling the entire time and the towels were beautiful
CrottyKid
AG
It is a psychological issue with Jimbo.
That offensive system is part of his identity. It would be like burning a part of himself. He can't bring himself to do it.

A more effective strategy to get him to change his mind and think it was his own idea would be to compare him to Bobby Bowden. Perhaps Jimbo can be convinced that he is in the same stage of his career as Bowden was when they paired up at FSU. He can be the next Bobby Bowden, and he can find the next Jimbo Fisher and bring him along just as Bobby did him.
Drum5343
AG
Somebody call DiCaprio and Hans Zimmer… I got an idea…
Iowaggie
AG
I used to complain about a coach who could not hold leads...until I met a coach who had no leads.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
jokershady said:

_mpaul said:

jokershady said:

yup.

OU was the epic defense where on 3 different occasions we stopped them at 4th and goal.

NU was one of the craziest games I ever attended. Night game where every fan in the stands was yelling the entire time and the towels were beautiful

I think you missed his point. We scored 9 against Nebraska. That stunt didn't really "fire up" the offense…
gA_CMAB_FA
Sherman's offense could actually block and complete passes downfield against decent defenses. Fisher's offense can't complete passes or run for over 5 yards an entire game vs the likes of App State.

Jimbo's a great recruiter and that's it. He's fatally flawed as a head coach due to his inability to develop a modern-day passing game. His passing game scheme is beyond pathetic, and what's worse is that he doesn't even realize how sh*tty his offense is! Oh yeah - and those Durkin and Addazio characters he hired - what a cluster-Fk! At $9mil/year to boot - what a con job Jimbo has orchestrated!
Miles711
AG
Sherman lit the playbook on fire, but it went out halfway through.
Ag in Tiger Country
AG
CrottyKid said:

That offensive system is part of his identity. It would be like burning a part of himself. He can't bring himself to do it.

A more effective strategy to get him to change his mind and think it was his own idea would be to compare him to Bobby Bowden. Perhaps Jimbo can be convinced that he is in the same stage of his career as Bowden was when they paired up at FSU. He can be the next Bobby Bowden, and he can find the next Jimbo Fisher and bring him along just as Bobby did him.

That's absolutely brilliant; it could actually work, and I mean it.

Now, if Jimbo declined such an offer, choosing instead to go with the offensive output thus far that's credited solely to him, then I say the ******* is crazy and insanity invalidates legal/ contractual relationships in some cases; it'd be worth exploring if $85 million becomes a consideration!
safety guy
AG
After that 3-3 start in 2010, we went on one of the most consistently, inconsistently, dominating stretch of football over a long period we have ever had. We went on a 43 game streak where we had the lead at some point in the game and even more was that we had double digit leads in 40 of the games. We actually won 2 of the three games where we only had a single digit lead. But over that 43 game stretch, our record was 32-11. Respectable but not what it should have been if we could have held onto leads. We lost 10 games where we had double digit leads with 6 coming under Sherman and 4 under sumlin.
AggieArchitect04
AG
Drum5343 said:

It was the game tape that he burned.

W
AG
after the 3-3 start, Sherman was able to turn to a future 10-year NFL quarterback.

he also had an NFL Hall of Famer at DE/OLB (Von) that made one big play after another down the stretch.

he also had a WR that got great separation (Swope) and one that could consistently win jump balls (Fuller)

um, not sure any of those guys are on the 2022 roster
Paul Dirac
I'm in. Dark thirty! GiddyUp
Paul Dirac
Sometimes *cough cough* things happen… there's spontaneous combustion.
FlowCtlr
AG
jokershady said:

_mpaul said:

jokershady said:

yup.

To this day that was my most fun experience at a game.
jokershady
AG
Paul Dirac said:

I'm in. Dark thirty! GiddyUp
oh I ain't saying he'll do an equivalent to salvage the season….cause he won't.

Just bringing up memories from long past cause it ain't like we got much else to look forward to this year.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Ahhh yes. The magical "Poop Slap" season.
Wahoo82
AG
Teslag said:

Sherman's biggest problem is that he never could grasp how important momentum was in the college game. He approached it like the NFL, and played the percentages as such. This allowed his teams to get lethargic as he went into conservative second half shells trying to control the ball.
IMO He was just figuring that out when we fired him. I would have loved to see him get a couple more years at the helm.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Just Tired said:

actually i heard he tried to burn the playbook but couldn't execute it.
The fire couldn't catch?
ought1ag
AG
Cyrus Gray also went off the latter part of the season........torched tu for 200+ yards if i remember correctly.
SilverTongueDevil
Ag in Tiger Country said:

CrottyKid said:

That's absolutely brilliant; it could actually work, and I mean it.

Now, if Jimbo declined such an offer, choosing instead to go with the offensive output thus far that's credited solely to him, then I say the ******* is crazy and insanity invalidates legal/ contractual relationships in some cases; it'd be worth exploring if $85 million becomes a consideration!

That didn't actually work out for Bowden. Fisher was brought in as a head coach in waiting. The offense improved somewhat but the team didn't get any better. Bowden was forced out sooner than he wanted to leave. It did work out for Jimbo as the team improved tremendously once he became the head coach. So do we need to bring in a head coach in waiting?
Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. Vince Lombardi
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.