Story Poster
Jimbo Fisher
Max Wright
Antonio Johnson
Fadil Diggs
Texas A&M Football

Aggies reach midway point still searching for their 'mid-season' form

October 3, 2022

Texas A&M quarterback Max Johnson has not yet been ruled out of the Aggies game against No. 1 Alabama this weekend.

Johnson sustained what appeared to be a thumb injury on his throwing hand during the Aggies’ 42-24 loss to Mississippi State last Saturday.

However, on Monday, coach Jimbo Fisher said Johnson’s status for the Alabama game is uncertain.

“We’ll go day-to-day,” Fisher said. “He banged his hand. We’ll evaluate him as he goes, day-to-day.”

Sophomore Haynes King figures to start if Johnson is unable to play. However, Fisher suggested former five-star recruit and true freshman quarterback Conner Weigman could see action.

“We’ll have Haynes and Conner to play if there is something there (with Johnson’s injury),” Fisher said. “We’ll have to wait and see on Max.”

Matt Bush-USA TODAY Sports
Max Johnson threw for 201 yards and one touchdown vs. Mississippi State before leaving the game with a thumb injury.

Johnson’s uncertainty may mean the Aggies could be without three offensive starters against the Crimson Tide. Receiver Ainias Smith is out for the season. Left guard Jordan Moko left the Mississippi State game on crutches. His status also has not been updated.

It won’t matter who’s in the lineup if the Aggies don’t play better and eliminate recurring mistakes that have plagued the offense all year.

A&M (3-2) is ranked last in the SEC in scoring offense, 12th in rushing offense, 13th in passing offense and last in total offense. They’re also 11th in sacks allowed and 11th in third-down conversions.

Fisher again said execution is the explanation for that futility. He continues to maintain that game film shows that missed assignments have nullified potential big plays.

“Sometimes it’s not always the same guy all the time,” He said. “If one guy takes a turn and one guy takes a turn, then all of a sudden, it can mess up a drive.

“We just have to keep working at it and make sure we get it and give them the confidence to be able to do it and go play.

“Those guys are playing their tail off. It has nothing to do with ‘want to’ or not wanting to. They will get it.”

It’s getting harder to believe the Aggies will “get it.”

The phrase “mid-season form” refers to a team being at its best. The Aggies are entering their sixth game — the midway point — and are repeating the same errors.

Fisher remains adamantly optimistic, though.

“Their ‘want-to’ is there. Their habits, their work habits, all the things. They’re tremendous kids. We have to do a good job of coaching. I believe in our players 100 percent.”
- A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher

“I know their ability is there,” he said. “Their ‘want-to’ is there. Their habits, their work habits, all the things. They’re tremendous kids. We have to do a good job of coaching.

“I believe in our players 100 percent.”

Tight end Max Wright said the Aggies are looking ahead with the intention of getting better.

“SEC football is a week-to-week game,” Wright said. “It doesn’t matter about last week. It’s always looking forward to the next week, especially when you’re going to play a good team like Alabama.

“You’ve got to be able to put aside how you’ve been playing, focus on the task at hand, take it day-by-day, preparation-wise. Just come together.

“We know if we play good football, we’re a really good team. We haven’t played our best football yet.”

Aggie fans certainly hope not.

Discussion from...

Aggies reach midway point still searching for their 'mid-season' form

6,008 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Paul Dirac
msandusky
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How has the QB whisper missed on so many qb's? Calzada, Stowers, King? And If I hear "they are just not executing" again, I think I am going to lose my mind. How about getting some coaches who can coach and get an OC!! Jimbo does less with more!
dcg4403
AG
msandusky said:

How has the QB whisper missed on so many qb's? Calzada, Stowers, King? And If I hear "they are just not executing" again, I think I am going to lose my mind. How about getting some coaches who can coach and get an OC!! Jimbo does less with more!

Freaking A. This sounds a LOT like that orange team in Austin. Where 5 stars go to become 3 stars.

Except I think we will see "where 5 stars go to transfer to another school". Unless we see a massive overhaul this offseason. You cannot keep blaming the kids for poor execution. Keep pounding sand Jimbo!!
dlsarmi2
AG
"They're tremendous kids. We have to do a good job of coaching. I believe in our players 100 percent."

Unfortunately, we're losing belief in the coaching staff starting with a HC getting paid > $9mil/ year @ Year 5 and this season's play showing the fruits of his "rebuilding" and "coaching" styles...smh...
Bunk Moreland
So many posters on this site owe Mond an apology. Becoming more clear every day he covered up a ton of Jimbo warts.

PyriteAg
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

So many posters on this site owe Mond an apology. Becoming more clear every day he covered up a ton of Jimbo warts.

We've gone from arguing about whether Mond was a good QB or not to whether Mond covered Fisher's weaknesses or not.

Regardless of what people think, that is just sad.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
msandusky said:

Not downing a kid but Jimbo said they recruited Stowers and the QB that just ran it 75 yards against the Hogs.
Choose better Jimbo.
HDeathstar
"Mid-Season Form" How about Pre-season form first. Lets get there first.
Paul Dirac
Bunk Moreland said:

Okay. Deal. Right after he apologizes to our former beloved President who arguably literally saved our school from being dissolved. Disgusting behavior. He should return his ring.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.