Story Poster
Jimbo Fisher
Fadil Diggs
Max Wright
Antonio Johnson
Texas A&M Football

Press Conference: Ags prepare for trip to Tuscaloosa to face No. 1 Tide

October 3, 2022

Texas A&M travels to Tuscaloosa this weekend to face top-ranked Alabama in primetime at Denny-Bryant Stadium. On Monday, Jimbo Fisher, Fadil Diggs, Max Wright and Antonio Johnson spoke to the media ahead of the contest.

The following are live, paraphrased notes from Jimbo Fisher’s Monday afternoon media availability:

• After evaluating the film, they played a good football game. We didn't capitalize in all three phases. We need to relax and make plays. There were big momentum swings. The guys are playing hard. They have to relax. We had opportunities and get better. We need to reinforce the things they are doing well. We have a great opportunity this weekend. Nick Saban is a tremendous coach. We have to move on. You can't let one become two.

• When you are young, sometimes you try too hard. They have to relax and play.

• Very athletic, strong arms. Jalen Milroe always did great at camp. He’s an outstanding athlete. Eli Stowers committed to us first. Milroe can throw it a mile. We recruited him.

• No update on Max Johnson. Day-to-day. We have Haynes King and Conner Weigman are ready to go.

• Nick Saban and I are in good shape. We have moved on.

• We have to give them confidence and knowledge. Those guys are playing their tails off.

• I’ve taken something from everybody I’ve coached under. Whether it's organizational stuff or knowledge of the game. All the coaches I coached under were highly successful. Les Miles, Bobby Bowden and Nick Saban all won a national championship. Nick Saban is a tremendous coach. Maybe one of the best ever. He’s a very good football coach.

• We have put Devon Achane in the slot. He has the ability to do.

• Conner Weigman stays in our reps. He takes reps with the 2’s when we practice. He sits next to me on the plane. He understands what we're doing. He’s going to be one heck of a player.

• Practicing with habits so you have the confidence to play. You practice until you can’t do it wrong. That’s not confidence. If we happen to get those picks or not fumble, your whole persona changes. 

• We ran the football very well. We were averaging almost nine yards in the first three series. We had a couple of little screw-ups. They did progress. We’re getting better in pass protection.

• We had opportunities. We get those two interceptions, and now what is the perception of it? They got a couple of runs. We got it to fit it in the gaps. We blitzed a little. 

• Execution is coming because I see it in practice. I know the ability and the work habits are there. We have to put it in motion. I 100% believe in our players. I 100% believe D.J. Durkin and his defensive scheme.

• In today's time, that is the biggest issue in college sports. With social media, those kids get criticized. It's a major problem. It matters. It does hurt them. We tell them to ignore it and stay off of social media.

• Jaylon Jones is doing fine. He’s day-to-day. It doesn't help when you lose one of your best players, but that's football.

• Haynes King had a great first drive. I thought his pick was a pretty good throw. His decision-making was good. He led us on two touchdown drives.

• You’re not going to keep them off social media. If they want to have a joyous time, then get off social media.

• The best player will play. If he has a good week of practice, it could be Conner Weigman.

• Haynes King is very active in the meetings. He handled the situation very well.

• What do you want me to do? Call Nick Saban and tell him who the quarterback will be?
Discussion from...

Press Conference: Ags prepare for trip to Tuscaloosa to face No. 1 Tide

12,535 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AgOutsideAustin
NoahAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like the Weigman guys will get their wish.
Let's go, Brandon!
AgOutsideAustin
AG
If you learn from every coach learn this from Nick……hire a guy to run the offense and you be the CEO.
Pretty please.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
" I 100% believe in D.J. Durkin and his defensive scheme."

I guess he didn't watch the 4 games other than SHSU. No pressure on the QB, giving up chunk running plays, zero sacks or QB pressures for entire games, letting the offense dictate to you for 60 minutes, poor 3rd down conversion stop rate, etc., etc. is not how you play winning defensive football. Also, this defense represents a wholesale philosophical change from what we have been doing on defense from 2018 - 2021 and how we have been recruiting on defense.

We had an excellent defense in 2020 and a very good defense in 2021, this defense will finish in the lower part of the conference and nation in all meaningful defensive statistical categories.

Looking at the D stats vs. Miami, Pig, and State, that is not good defense. That is making a few plays in the red zone or having a fluke play vs. Pig. It is not sustainable to play defense like that, and the season will bear that out.

I'm sure our swiss cheese OL looks great against this no pass rush no pressure defense in practice...
IDaggie06
AG
Jimbo just sounds like a sales guys at this point.
Gulf Coast Aggie
AG
I don't see any way this gets fixed this season unless he has pressure to do so.
I don't have a whole bunch of faith it gets fixed next season.
He is still convinced that we just need to execute. What a terrible waste of talent.
fieldtrailer
AG
"Eli Stowers committed to us first. Milroe can throw it a mile. We recruited him"

I'm trying to back away from the cliff but when I read this. Especially when Stowers got hurt and didn't play his senior year. Ends up he didn't make it past 2021 spring game. One of my biggest disappointments was the 2021 recruiting effort (or lack of) of the most important position on the team. After 3 years of Mond. And we had a shot at Milroe. Unreal.

Good luck Jimbo. I'm not sure of anything at this point.
Flashdiaz
AG
Connor sits next to Jimbo on the plane
eATMup-Reveille
AgOutsideAustin said:

If you learn from every coach learn this from Nick……hire a guy to run the offense and you be the CEO.
Pretty please.

Absolutely but you can certainly tell he publicly has ZERO intention of doing that, and I cannot IMAGINE how belligerent he would get if this was suggested by someone in a press conference.
Flashdiaz
AG
Jimbo at the 0:30 mark: We need to relax and make plays

Question at 7:50:
Reporter: what can you do to help the players relax?
Jimbo: Relax?!!?!? They don't need to relax, they need to work hard and practice.
Nosmo
AG
fieldtrailer said:

"Eli Stowers committed to us first. Milroe can throw it a mile. We recruited him"

I'm trying to back away from the cliff but when I read this. Especially when Stowers got hurt and didn't play his senior year. Ends up he didn't make it past 2021 spring game. One of my biggest disappointments was the 2021 recruiting effort (or lack of) of the most important position on the team. After 3 years of Mond. And we had a shot at Milroe. Unreal.

Good luck Jimbo. I'm not sure of anything at this point.
Stowers did play his senior year. Lost in state semi-finals. I happened to watch the game.

Injured last playoff game of junior year, but had an amazing recovery according to local press.

Rushed for 1127 yd (16 games) as a junior and 1078 yd ( 14 games) as a senior.

Passed 2885 yd as junior and 2497 as a senior.
Camino
AG
Gulf Coast Aggie said:

I don't see any way this gets fixed this season unless he has pressure to do so.
I don't have a whole bunch of faith it gets fixed next season.
He is still convinced that we just need to execute. What a terrible waste of talent.
He seems to limit himself and the team to "executing" disjointed plays rather than WINNING the football game. At least have them focused on making a first down, or better, a touchdown, not just "executing" and stopping there. He is like the surgeon who said "the operation was successful, but the patient died." What really is the mindset of the team and the coach of the team?
dcg4403
AG
Blah, blah, blah.

We must execute....

Duh? Jimbo maybe you can get a clue and ask yourself why the hell are all these highly recruiting kids having trouble executing what YOU ARE TEACHING.

I manage peope in the business I own. I do NOT setup my employees for failure. Jimbo apparently does not agree.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
eATMup-Reveille said:

AgOutsideAustin said:

Pretty please.

Absolutely but you can certainly tell he publicly has ZERO intention of doing that, and I cannot IMAGINE how belligerent he would get if this was suggested by someone in a press conference.

Wasn't suggesting that it be brought up in a press conference just hoping that he would do it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.