Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

IF we hired and OC and IF Jimbo gave up play calling???

3,973 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by GigEmReggie
MarylandAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What elite OC would want to walk into this mess? I would guess they would be looking over their shoulder the whole time. I would guess that with Jimbo's ego, things would not be peachy in the work environment. Honest question, what elite offensive mind takes on this given the situation (old head coach, living of his former glory, reluctantly giving up play call, etc, etc.).

Who honestly takes this job? My guess would be IF (huge if) this were to happen we would settle for some young up and comer from a smaller school looking to get a signficant bump in pay.

How do you think this would sit with Jimbo, if this is how it goes down and we all of sudden do well, the offense is rolling, and this new young gun gets all the accolades.

It's almost like a catch 22. Tell me why I am wrong.
AggieRinger
AG
I think you're right…

AG
Is Jimbo playing outfield and infield at the same time? Because that could be a problem…
halfastros81
AG
If Jimbo truly turns over the offensive reigns to an OC I'd think they'd be falling all over themselves to take the job because the talent is there. It just isn't being deployed optimally. Stepping stone to a higher paying HC gig.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
what was the name of the OC when lsu won it all? what was the name of the head coach. betting more know that it was ED O over the offensive coordinator who i can't remember. if jimbo makes a switch and we win he will get the credit for making it happen.
greg.w.h
AG
halfastros81 said:

If Jimbo truly turns over the offensive reigns to an OC I'd think they'd be falling all over themselves to take the job because the talent is there. It just isn't being deployed optimally. Stepping stone to a higher paying HC gig.
If he wins an NC he shouldn't care who gets the credit, but if he's head coach he should not be micromanaged. That's why he has a LOOONNNGGG contract which we can buy him out of if we do desire.
12thMan9
AG
Joe Brady. Flamed out in the pros.
Ronnie '88
rootube
AG
MarylandAG said:

What elite OC would want to walk into this mess? I would guess they would be looking over their shoulder the whole time. I would guess that with Jimbo's ego, things would not be peachy in the work environment. Honest question, what elite offensive mind takes on this given the situation (old head coach, living of his former glory, reluctantly giving up play call, etc, etc.).

Who honestly takes this job? My guess would be IF (huge if) this were to happen we would settle for some young up and comer from a smaller school looking to get a signficant bump in pay.

How do you think this would sit with Jimbo, if this is how it goes down and we all of sudden do well, the offense is rolling, and this new young gun gets all the accolades.

It's almost like a catch 22. Tell me why I am wrong.

An elite OC who wants to be the highest paid in the country and would like to inherit a roster of five stars? That would be my guess on how these things work out.
halfastros81
AG
Steve Ensminger was LSU's oc. Joe Brady was the passing game coordinator and receivers coach.
rootube
AG
I don't think there is a person in the world who believes Emsminger was running that offense.
SolidRockAg
give me a 100k for every win .............i'll call plays....i'll bring out all my ncaa14 playbook...no more running the clock to nil...make the defenses wish jimbo was calling plays so they could rest....you want a reverse? your getting the reverse pass throwback to king down the sideline....punting? we don't do that anymore once we cross our own 40....youre a 5 star? play like it no more whinnie ninnie bullcrap...gonna be the great show on turf
Iowaggie
AG
How about just turn play calling over to OC Darrell Dickey?
phatty26
rootube said:

I don't think there is a person in the world who believes Emsminger was running that offense.

That was an Uber talented offense full of first round talent and nfl players
p8aggie
AG
Fine, I'll do it for a discount since I love A&M. For just $1.5MM I'll run the offense.
aggiefan09
AG
Jeff Lebby, from the Art Briles coaching tree without the baggage.
ChooChooTrey
AG
A truly elite OC will also want control, and I'm not 100% sure Jimbo will give that to him even if he hires a new OC (remember the whole Les Miles/Matt Canada fiasco?) That alone may limit his options, but given all the national candidates that are reasonably attainable...

Warren Ruggiero - Wake Forest OC
Phil Longo - UNC OC
Garret Riley - TCU OC

Would be my top three
Jimma
Phil Longo has been a successful OC in Texas and has been an OC in the SEC. Check his history.
CrottyKid
AG
We don't need the next big thing at OC.
All we need is competence.
The App State OC as our OC would have us undefeated rolling into a matchup of two top 5 teams on Saturday.
Know Your Enemy
AG
12thMan9 said:

Forgot about him. Where is he now?
rsf0626
Iowaggie said:

He's got it easy. Sits in the booth on gameday eating a hot dog and collecting a paycheck
rsf0626
OKC~Ag
CrottyKid said:

We don't need the next big thing at OC.
All we need is competence.
The App State OC as our OC would have us undefeated rolling into a matchup of two top 5 teams on Saturday.
i second competence... it is such underrated skill
RoadkillBBQ
halfastros81 said:

Bingo
riverrataggie
AG
We have a pretty good OC right now. He just isn't performing OC duties.
RoadkillBBQ
Iowaggie said:

That's what I don't understand when everyone is screaming we need an OC. We have one. Dickey was quite successful at Memphis.
StinkyPinky
AG
We should have just given the HC job to Kliff, and Jimbo as our OC. Then Kliff fire Jimbo and take over OC duties as well, and in the process save ourselves a sht ton of money.
Houstonag
AG
Dear friends. It is not just an OC and who calls the plays. It is the scheme and strategy. Same on D. We did not go after the QB last week. Few too many.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Houstonag said:

Dear friends. It is not just an OC and who calls the plays. It is the scheme and strategy. Same on D. We did not go after the QB last week. Few too many.

How many times is this going to be said? Some of you take the talking heads way too literally when it comes to coachspeak. We're talking about football plays. Scheme is used here incorrectly and sound smarmy as ****
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

12thMan9 said:

Forgot about him. Where is he now?

Bills QB coach per Wikipedia… Don't think he's leaving a super bowl caliber NFL team & being positional coach for a top 5 NFL QB to be OC here.
TecRecAg
AG
I say we just have "ask madden" running in parallel to our game. Can't be worse than what we're doing
Ag in Tiger Country
AG
I heard on the radio during my drive home today that the Cowboys had to 'limit' their playbook once Dak got hurt, and well, their offense seems to be performing quite well (as opposed to when DAK was healthy, as it was just as anemic as A&M's); THEREFORE, if Jimbo insists upon running the show alone, perhaps he could dumb-down the offense (& while they are at it, the defense too provided it isn't run from a 3-down set) so all our freshman players that are playing can grasp it.
bulverdeaggie93
AG
we need more than a play caller… we need new plays AND someone to call them
halfastros81
AG
I agree . Joe Burrow was .
Lilly Biucci
AG
Joe Brady is an interesting possibility. He's currently the QB coach for the Bills, so I'd argue the A&M OC gig would be a promotion. He runs a pro style offense that's arguably much more simplistic than Jimbo's so hopefully the transition would be seamless. Early into his Panthers gig he was already getting NFL HC interview requests so people clearly think a lot of him.

On the flip side, how much of his success at LSU was due to having an absurd, all-time great roster? It also seems like he prefers the pros over college as he turned down the U of Miami OC position for the Bills QB position. Lots of question marks.
Houstonag
AG
It is the scheme, play book, play design, etc. Speaking with experience.
ashley
Houstonag said:

It is the scheme, play book, play design, etc. Speaking with experience.

You missed one thing. What is the most important position on a football team?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.