Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Did anyone here see Weigman play in HS?

9,716 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Krazykat
sugarmo2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A good friend of mine watched him vs Klein Oak and said he was unbelievably good. Reminded him of Vince Young
I feel like based on what I've heard, Conner has more ability than King. I'm anxious to see him play.
Post removed:
by user
sugarmo2
AG
I think we should wait until after Alabama.
AggieArchitect04
AG
IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO PLAYS QUARTERBACK.
oneeyedag
High school where the talent disparity is so uneven one or two players can make or break a state championship run.

Where a 4.4 guy can be the fastest player in their district.

But in college, a 4.4 4.5 guy is just another linebacker, safety, corner, wide receiver, running back and where defenses confuse inexperienced QBs on every play and where WR break off routes because what the defense is showing.

Or could be the oline is so awful.

It's Bama week, you Weigman worshipers might get your wish.
phatty26
sugarmo2 said:

I think that is the plan but we will see. Yes he is very good and was used to playing with a bad o lube in high school.
YuccaRoot
AG
I watched him play last year v. Langham Creek; best HS QB that I've personally watched since Lance Pavlas. His passes are exceptionallyaccurate and he has touch beyond his years.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
YuccaRoot said:

I watched him play last year v. Langham Creek; best HS QB that I've personally watched since Lance Pavlas. His passes are exceptionallyaccurate and he has touch beyond his years.

you had me all the way up to lance pavlas. not exactly a ringing endorsement.
DuncanLEO
Lol at anyone who doesn't think Alabama breaks King in half. CW is going to be forced into action because King is going to get destroyed.
12thMan9
AG
YuccaRoot said:

Let's hope he's not entirely like Pavlas.
Ronnie '88
AWP 97
AG
AggieArchitect04 said:

Basically this. I'm sure a Heisman level QB would help but this team has problems that are way deeper.
Win At Life
AG
phatty26 said:

sugarmo2 said:

I think that is the plan but we will see. Yes he is very good and was used to playing with a bad o lube in high school.
DGrimesAg92
AggieArchitect04 said:

THIS^^^^^^^^

For the 1,000,000th time!! IT'S NOT THE QB!!!
90ags
Yes, he was very good, but were so many other players on this A&M team (many HS superstars). HS doesn't translate to CF 'automatically'. Pavlas is a solid comparison as he had an amazing HS career and very talented passer (so was Zach C), but not necessarily top notch at the next level.

Believe CW can be the dual threat guy, but, as already pointed out, is it safe to put him out there with this OL play. Definitely would need more roll out pockets and a better running attack to help offset pressure, but just don't see it happening.

Pavlas was the quiet, nice guy in class who kept to himself and very unassuming. He did pretty well for A&M during that time (definitely had his ups and downs on the field).

https://footballfoundation.org/hof_scholars.aspx?hof=615
______________________________________________________ Play for the name on the front of your jersey, not the back...
Divining Rod
Almost as strongly as i wanted to see Conner Weigman as out starter on Sept 3rd and beyond, I'm hoping he DOESNT see the field Saturday.

This team is completely broke.
YuccaRoot
AG
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

YuccaRoot said:

Pavlas was a great HS player...it did not translate to the same level of play in college. One other caveat, in HS Pavlas had a much better team/players around him than Weigman.
Woking Ag
AG
Agree with everyone that it's not the qb.

To answer OP, I watched him play every game in HS. Season tickets 4 rows up from Bridgeland sideline (both of my kids are at Bridgeland).

Conner was rated where he was for a reason. He had tremendous accuracy with his passes, a strong arm, made good decisions in the pocket and was an excellent runner (elusive with good speed and power).

Most of Conner's receivers were quick, but small. Reid Mikeska at TE is pretty large (senior this year) and was a popular target. If it was 3rd and 15, I still felt pretty confident Conner would find Andrew Maleski for a first down.

He is a pretty intense competitor and you could tell he was the leader on the sideline.

I found myself wanting to compare him to Manziel a lot, because of how much they take over a game. They are different QBs, although they do have a lot of similarities.

Bridgeland had a couple decent RBs, but Conner was the primary running threat.

With all that praise, I will say of course there were moments where he'd force the ball in where he shouldn't have or just make a kind of decision that would make you think - welp… still a High School QB. I'm sure he'll have moments like that when he steps on Kyle Field as well. Especially his first few games.

I think he is going to be special and make a great name for himself in Aggie history.
phatty26
YuccaRoot said:

Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

YuccaRoot said:

Pavlas was a great HS player...it did not translate to the same level of play in college. One other caveat, in HS Pavlas had a much better team/players around him than Weigman.

He's a very good runner and is way better than Paula's a better comparison would be Brandon Stewart, but he had a much better supporting cast than Weigman.
Unemployed
AG
BLSD said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

THIS^^^^^^^^

But a great QB can hide or make up for the deficiencies in the coaching and/or scheme. Imagine if we got JFF playing in this offense - escaping the rush with his legs, making the difficult throws, making something out of nothing, etc.
CrottyKid
AG
Weigman will win the job after the new offensive staff installs their system this offseason.
DR.ZAP
AG
RealTalk said:

BLSD said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

THIS^^^^^^^^

But a great QB can hide or make up for the deficiencies in the coaching and/or scheme. Imagine if we got JFF playing in this offense - escaping the rush with his legs, making the difficult throws, making something out of nothing, etc.
*cough cough* Jameis Winston *cough cough*
nu awlins ag
AG
YuccaRoot said:

Lance was awesome at Tomball. At A&M, not so much. He could sure spin the ball in warm ups but come game time, the switch was off. Everyone said he had the best arm and he did, but that was against air. In the game, he was a shadow of himself.
-------------------------------------------------------
[You aren't talking about anything on here until tomorrow. -Staff]

nu awlins ag

LMAO

Nu Awlins Ag for New TAMU President!!!!!!!
Lilly Biucci
AG
Only watched one full game of his, and he was unbelievable. He was the whole team. But that also forced him to play hero ball with a lot of questionable passes into tight coverage, and he definitely needs a redshirt year to get accustomed to playing within a system. I'm guessing he'd throw as many INTs as King if he starts now. A rough freshman year can ruin a QB's confidence and decision making.
Sterling82
Woking Ag said:

Agree with everyone that it's not the qb.

To answer OP, I watched him play every game in HS. Season tickets 4 rows up from Bridgeland sideline (both of my kids are at Bridgeland).

Conner was rated where he was for a reason. He had tremendous accuracy with his passes, a strong arm, made good decisions in the pocket and was an excellent runner (elusive with good speed and power).

Most of Conner's receivers were quick, but small. Reid Mikeska at TE is pretty large (senior this year) and was a popular target. If it was 3rd and 15, I still felt pretty confident Conner would find Andrew Maleski for a first down.

He is a pretty intense competitor and you could tell he was the leader on the sideline.

I found myself wanting to compare him to Manziel a lot, because of how much they take over a game. They are different QBs, although they do have a lot of similarities.

Bridgeland had a couple decent RBs, but Conner was the primary running threat.

With all that praise, I will say of course there were moments where he'd force the ball in where he shouldn't have or just make a kind of decision that would make you think - welp… still a High School QB. I'm sure he'll have moments like that when he steps on Kyle Field as well. Especially his first few games.

I think he is going to be special and make a great name for himself in Aggie history.

This is a very good write up. I didn't see but 4-5 games but this is what I saw. He's a better runner and has a better arm than both the QBs he's behind. As for his youth leading to mistakes...so what? We just went through a game where we passed for 50 yards in the first half on 5 of 8 with only one pass beyond 10 yards, all while the defense was trying to hang on by a thread. Our problems are multiple and Weigman won't fix all of them. But maybe when he gets forced out of the pocket he runs for 30 instead of 5. Maybe he throws the 30 yard post route instead of checking down. We are not going to win many games doing what we've been doing...either a) being so conservative we go through long stretch of 3 and outs or b) stretch the field but throw 4-5 interceptions. Just give him a shot and see what he can do.
nu awlins ag
AG
Lilly Biucci said:

Only watched one full game of his, and he was unbelievable. He was the whole team. But that also forced him to play hero ball with a lot of questionable passes into tight coverage, and he definitely needs a redshirt year to get accustomed to playing within a system. I'm guessing he'd throw as many INTs as King if he starts now. A rough freshman year can ruin a QB's confidence and decision making.

I saw 3 games. He was their offense for the most part. This year's team is not good so that should tell you something. In the playoffs he was shut down basically. Very good but I would have sit so he can watch and learn.
-------------------------------------------------------
[You aren't talking about anything on here until tomorrow. -Staff]

nu awlins ag

LMAO

Nu Awlins Ag for New TAMU President!!!!!!!
aglaes
AG
RealTalk said:

Personally I don't want Jimbo to be able to hide anything. His offensive philosophy/scheme need to change and he needs to hire a really bright up and coming OC to come in and overhaul the system and call the plays.

Watched Conner play last year against The Woodlands. Very decisive, accurate throws. Has good arm strength. He was better in the first half than the 2nd half. Not sure what The Woodlands did in the 2nd half to slow him down. Bridgeland easily won the game however.
1995aggie
AG
My son is same age and competed against him since in 3rd grade so saw i him every year since then though not as much later in high school when my son was no longer playing. He was always the best player on the field. He throws a very accurate ball and from a fans perspective his overall Football IQ always seemed very high. Super athletic overall as well. If he continues to progress he will be fantastic in my humble opinion
MagnumLoad
AggieArchitect04 said:

It absolutely does. Most important position. Great quarterbacks make up for a lot of other problems. Weigman is not your average freshman qb. He squats over 400 lbs and has a monster dead lift. He is ready and much better than King or Johnson.
I hate tu. It's in my blood.
AgTMAK
Weigman will excel when he gets the opportunity. He thrives on the bigger the moment the better he will play! As a side note size doesn't make a receiver you still have to get open and catch the ball… there's a reason Weigman threw to Maleski on 3rd down bc he knew he would be open and catch the ball something not all receivers can do
sugarmo2
AG
Nice to hear from several of yall that saw him play. Better QB play can definitely help this team.
StinkyPinky
AG
RealTalk said:

BLSD said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

THIS^^^^^^^^

While true, we also run the risk of injuring him against Bama defense since he'll be taking a hell of a lot of hits and on the run. I'd like to see him beyond one game. Give him an easier game to start IMO
Modern_AMC_Ag
AG
I would go as far as to say Connor played better competition than what Longview High School did.
NoahAg
MagnumLoad said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

It absolutely does. Most important position. Great quarterbacks make up for a lot of other problems. Weigman is not your average freshman qb. He squats over 400 lbs and has a monster dead lift. He is ready and much better than King or Johnson.

Awesome! How many points does a 400lb squat get us?
Let's go, Brandon!
Wicked Good Ag
Can he make an accurate throw off his initial read within under two seconds?? And will that receiver be open.

Because that is all the time he gets to make a decision before getting hit and or running.

There are so many deficiencies in the team that one player isn't going to change this teams trajectory.

I complete philosophical change is necessary. And that Astarte with coaching staff and ends with Fisher. You don't play him until Florida IMO. if King gets injured you play Bolt
phatty26
t-ag-right said:

I would go as far as to say Connor played better competition than what Longview High School did.
yes for sure and he had worse offensive line and less overall talent. He was beat up and out of the playoffs because of the lack of oline. He is a very good runner as well.

I have been hearing that he is the best qb at practice now.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.