Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Misguided focus

3,933 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jrbaggie
HanktheAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It appears to me that the current head football coach at TAMU has a tendency to focus too much on the wrong things at the wrong times. In addition, he can't keep his mouth shut. He also has a tendency to bump his gums when he should let the results speak for him.

He has done this from the time he hit campus. He was popping off about his predecessor's interior decorating of the office. He should have been getting busy recruiting and establishing his inroads into the high schools in Texas.

At least twice he has "gotten into it" with the Alabama head football coach about nonsense. Do what that coach has done and shut the hell up! Last year he put all of his efforts into winning against Alabama (trying to not look like a fool) and lost the games that he should have won. This year, he let the same coach get in his head, and he couldn't stop until he was in the media popping off again. And once again, lost games that he should have won!

I am sick and tired of hearing about the team not executing! I am sick and tired of seeing the coach not executing his duties and tasks also!

When Coach Sherrill started at TAMU he said give him 4 or 5 years to win the conference, and he did it.
Have we gotten ANY kind of expectations from Fisher???

Advantages like the move from the big 12, Kyle Field renovation, move into the SEC, and steady progress until now will be lost and never recovered if changes are not made soon!

Who was the idiot with the tank in his yard (River Oaks, I think)? Wasn't HE the one that was pushing Fisher so hard? This feels worse than with Sumlin!

I have always believed that the hiring and contract with Fisher would be the BIGGEST Aggie joke of ALL time. (it is getting close!) I am not a fan of Fisher. I have been afraid that we would end up with some type of sanctions against us. (just a gut feeling)
TxAg76
AG
Feel better?
If you think this is worse than w Sumlin, I don't know what to tell you, other than you're certainly entitled to have your own opinion.
HanktheAg
AG
It IS worse than Sumlin. The win loss record proves that!
No, I don't feel better. Fisher is still in place, and we will have an even worse season that last year.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
It's not worse than Sumlin, but it's bad. Sumlin ran off two 5-star QBs on the same day.
TyperWoods
TLDR
Ian Neff
AG
I don't care what anyone says about Sumlin. He started Johnny.
Humorous Username
AG
Jimbo has issues, but let's not pretend we'd be much better if Sumlin was still here. We have all the proof of his terrible program management looking at his time at Arizona.
Nino Brown
This is a 5-0 team with an Oline that can block.

Comparing the two is insane. We recruit across the board better now. Jimbo's mistake was not getting to the portal more for a few extra lineman to bridge the gap with a young Oline. He's calling plays that he has to due to the lack of pass protect. It's on him but why do you think Haynes was named starter. He QB1 would have to be able to move.

Why do you think Achane gets so many carries. He's the only one that can make something happen when there's nothing there.

I just don't think he knew how bad the line was gonna be until it was too late.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
There's no doubt that Year 5 under Jimbo Fissher has been frustrating. Before this season started, I predicted we would start 4-0, lose consecutive road games at Mississippi State and Alabama, and win our last 6 games for a 10-2 regular season finish. Instead, our first loss was a 17-14 loss to Appalachian State at home for our first loss to a Group of 5 team since an 18-14 loss to Arkasnas State on 8/30/08.

Still, Jimbo Fisher has a much better record in home SEC games. Jimbo Fisher is 12-3 in SEC games at Kyle Field, including 7-3 against SEC West teams. In contrast, Kevin Sumlin went 8-14 in SEC games at Kyle Field, including 3-12 against SEC West teams at Kyle Field. In fact, he had a 7-game home losing streak to SEC West teams at the end of his tenure.
FCBlitz
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

It's not worse than Sumlin, but it's bad. Sumlin ran off two 5-star QBs on the same day.

Nothing will ever be ever as bad as Sumlin. Living through what should be blow out wins only to turn into shameful losses were just awful.
JKT189
AG
HanktheAg said:

It appears to me that the current head football coach at TAMU has a tendency to focus too much on the wrong things at the wrong times. In addition, he can't keep his mouth shut. He also has a tendency to bump his gums when he should let the results speak for him.

He has done this from the time he hit campus. He was popping off about his predecessor's interior decorating of the office. He should have been getting busy recruiting and establishing his inroads into the high schools in Texas.

At least twice he has "gotten into it" with the Alabama head football coach about nonsense. Do what that coach has done and shut the hell up! Last year he put all of his efforts into winning against Alabama (trying to not look like a fool) and lost the games that he should have won. This year, he let the same coach get in his head, and he couldn't stop until he was in the media popping off again. And once again, lost games that he should have won!

I am sick and tired of hearing about the team not executing! I am sick and tired of seeing the coach not executing his duties and tasks also!

When Coach Sherrill started at TAMU he said give him 4 or 5 years to win the conference, and he did it.
Have we gotten ANY kind of expectations from Fisher???

Advantages like the move from the big 12, Kyle Field renovation, move into the SEC, and steady progress until now will be lost and never recovered if changes are not made soon!

Who was the idiot with the tank in his yard (River Oaks, I think)? Wasn't HE the one that was pushing Fisher so hard? This feels worse than with Sumlin!

I have always believed that the hiring and contract with Fisher would be the BIGGEST Aggie joke of ALL time. (it is getting close!) I am not a fan of Fisher. I have been afraid that we would end up with some type of sanctions against us. (just a gut feeling)

Mrs. Sumlin, you need to hide it a little bit more to stay anonymous...
sportsfreak1975
OP joined in 2019 and has a whopping 19 total posts. All have been about bashing Jimbo and praising Sumlin. I think you may be on to something here…
HanktheAg
AG
sportsfreak1975 said:

OP joined in 2019 and has a whopping 19 total posts. All have been about bashing Jimbo and praising Sumlin. I think you may be on to something here…
Is this reading new to you? All have not been about Sumlin nor Fisher. Stop the lies!!!

I reached my fill of the nonsense, so I started posting.

Keep in mind, WINNING is the reason for ALL of this! Nothing but winning. We are doing less of that.

Yet some of you are happy with that. How is that pk with you.

FIVE years...nothing to show in the win column.

NO BETTER results.
BigSneezy
Nino Brown said:

This is why we need an OC. If he can't see an O line and know they don't have what it takes and can't project needs for the most important positions on the field, how on earth will he be able to win regularly.

He's just waiting for it to magically gel together. We might be waiting a long time.
phatty26
Iraq2xVeteran said:

There's no doubt that Year 5 under Jimbo Fissher has been frustrating. Before this season started, I predicted we would start 4-0, lose consecutive road games at Mississippi State and Alabama, and win our last 6 games for a 10-2 regular season finish. Instead, our first loss was a 17-14 loss to Appalachian State at home for our first loss to a Group of 5 team since an 18-14 loss to Arkasnas State on 8/30/08.

Still, Jimbo Fisher has a much better record in home SEC games. Jimbo Fisher is 12-3 in SEC games at Kyle Field, including 7-3 against SEC West teams. In contrast, Kevin Sumlin went 8-14 in SEC games at Kyle Field, including 3-12 against SEC West teams at Kyle Field. In fact, he had a 7-game home losing streak to SEC West teams at the end of his tenure.

We are the youngest team in the sec. Hitting the portal for a few o lineman and losing Harold Perkins hurt more than we thought. Jimbo is the best recruiter we've ever had hands down. We are very close but we are so young we can't make mistakes or give up opportunities especially on the road. If Hansford and tyree stayed that would've helped the defense. The O line has regressed and shouldn't be that bad that's on addazio and jimbo for hiring him. Swallow your pride get an oc and Ol coach and just be a program manager and we'll be fine.
HanktheAg
AG
If only they ranked everyone on home field records...not this silly total records bs. (Which to this point, Sumlin leads Fisher)
TyperWoods
I've heard of Hank the Angry Drunken Dwarf, but not Hank the Angry Drunken Ag
Wisconsin_Ag
Quote:

Swallow your pride get an oc and Ol coach and just be a program manager and we'll be fine.

I don't think that is possible for Jimbo.
Madmarttigan
AG
It's also not helpful that the SEC west seems even better than when sumlin was here.

Miss St, Ole Miss are much better. Only school that is worse is auburn.
HanktheAg
AG
"Angry" that YOUR focus is misguided also.
Plus I don't do the alcohol thing.
Bryanisbest
AG
Sumlin was best with Sherman's recruits and trailed off from there. Sumlin nowhere near as good as Jimbo.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
HanktheAg said:

If only they ranked everyone on home field records...not this silly total records bs. (Which to this point, Sumlin leads Fisher)
Jimbo Fisher is 22-13 through his first 35 SEC games, and Kevin Sumlin went 20-15 through his first 35 SEC games. So Fisher is slightly ahead in SEC games at this point of their respective tenures at Texas A&M. I was breaking it down by home SEC games, and we kept losing home SEC games against division opponents under Sumlin.

After we beat Tennessee 45-38 in 2 overtimes on 10/8/16 to improve to 6-0 (4-0 SEC) in Kevin Sumlin's 5th year, I predicted we would finish 10-2 (6-2 SEC) with only losses to Alabama and LSU. We were 7-1 (4-1 SEC) and even ranked No. 4 before losing at 5-7 (3-5 SEC) Mississippi State 35-28 and to 5-7 (2-6 SEC) Ole Miss 29-28 at home. We ended up losing 5 of our last 7 games. The only 2 wins in that span were over New Mexico State and UTSA, and all 5 losses were to Power 5 teams, including a 33-28 loss to Kansas State in the Texas Bowl. Loses to Alabama and LSU were understandable, but getting swept by the Mississippi Schools was inexcusable. That's why fans were calling for Texas A&M to fire Kevin Sumlin at that point.

Our losing ways continued into 2017. We started 2017 with a blown 44-10 lead that resulted in a 45-44 loss at UCLA. We did not beat a Power 5 team again until a 50-43 win over Arkansas on 9/23/17, 50 weeks after our previous win over a Power 5 team.

We will see if Fisher remains ahead of Sumlin in SEC games through Year 5 by the end of this season.
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

You mean the guy who had a hooker ruin his artwork by slinging cocaine all over it? He's now the moral conscience of America representing 24 poor victims who just had no idea what being flown in after flaunting themselves on instagram to give a private massage to a NFL quarterback actually meant. Representing civilly, not criminally of course.

Beyond reproach.
texag0928
OP, there is not one Aggie that his happy with the state of our program right now. We shouldn't be. That said, why don't you just get a journal and share your thoughts in there, instead of getting on here and creating internet fodder?
pbrancazio
AG
Nino Brown said:

This is a 5-0 team with an Oline that can block.

Comparing the two is insane. We recruit across the board better now. Jimbo's mistake was not getting to the portal more for a few extra lineman to bridge the gap with a young Oline. He's calling plays that he has to due to the lack of pass protect. It's on him but why do you think Haynes was named starter. He QB1 would have to be able to move.

Why do you think Achane gets so many carries. He's the only one that can make something happen when there's nothing there.

Hiring Addazio was an epic mistake. How do you hire an OL coach when his resume says he hasn't coached OL for the last 10 years?
aTmBonfire
AG
FCBlitz said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

Nothing will ever be ever as bad as Sumlin. Living through what should be blow out wins only to turn into shameful losses were just awful.
Fran says "hi".

I certainly hope we never hire another head coach that will set the program back 10 years, but it's been done before.
jrbaggie
It bears to mention that Sumlin benefitted from a certain qb named Manziel during these rabid comparisons of Sumlin vs Fisher. Just saying.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.