Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Max is tough

8,078 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ontheway
LatinAggie1997
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Max made some plays when he had time. The other thing he does well is not get rattled. He was getting clobbered all game and continued to stand tall in the pocket knowing he was going to get drilled while he threw.

It was not lost on this fan. I appreciate that type of guts
AgOutsideAustin
AG
He plays hard, much respect for 14.
atx_aggie12
AG
I agree completely. Not sure what all the hate on Max is about. He has been put in a no win situation and looks better than 99% of QBs would if they were playing in this offense right now.
Artorias
AG
It is hilarious that some people on here are clamoring to bring Haynes "Turnover" King back as QB1. Some seriously clueless people in the zoo.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Max beat State and us last year that's all……..
Wrecking Crew 21
Max is still better than King! King reminds me of a deer in the headlights!
Aggie 63
The Collective
AG
It is uncanny how many "unlucky" turnovers happen to King.
jaxisback
Max is a tough guy with heart.
jenks
AG
Max does not make rookie mistakes. He is a good starter. We just need an O line that can block.
dcg4403
AG
At least Max protects the ball. Given our QBs have no time to properly execute, this is why Max should continue to be QB1.

I dont care what QB goes out there. They all are setup for failure as their surrounding cast sucks.

Argentina Aggie
Max is tough. I appreciate his efforts. He protects the ball.
oysterbayAG
AG
Since the OL is still inconsistent, why doesn't Jimbo have Max scramble sometimes instead of always staying in the pocket ?
Sterling82
Max is as steady as they come and is a good player. My problem is that our offense flounders for significant stretches of each game. He's pretty good at moving around in the pocket to avoid sacks, very mediocre when forced to run and he can't or won't push the ball down the field. Now, there are deficiencies elsewhere that cause some of it but it's not at the skill position where there's a ton of talent. We have a guy on the sideline that has the potential to give us a badly needed spark. Dynamic runner with a dynamic arm and plays with confidence. But Fisher won't give him a shot. If he turns out to not be ready, fine. We go back to Max and finish the season 7-5 (probably on the high side). But given what we've seen I can't believe Fisher just wants to ride this swirl down the drain. He seems to simply be a hard headed ass.
Ag9701
AG
The Collective said:

It is uncanny how many "unlucky" turnovers happen to King.

Same here. He had 2 INTs in a very short time yesterday. Neither were all his fault. The 2nd more than the 1st though.
Leander - Ag
AG
He is. Needs to get ride of the ball quicker
rsf0626
Max is a slow decision maker but the oline did him zero favors

With a decent oline he could be good, but thats not happening this year sadly
rsf0626
LesterHaze
LatinAggie1997 said:

Max made some plays when he had time. The other thing he does well is not get rattled. He was getting clobbered all game and continued to stand tall in the pocket knowing he was going to get drilled while he threw.

Johnson was 19 of 26 with multiple drops, several low snaps and no INT's. The system and offensive philosophy is 100% the problem folks.
aglaes
AG
Doesn't matter who the QB is.

What's funny is how many people were using the old "we lost our starting QB" excuse last year who are probably lambasting King this year.
warrington74
AG
He is tough
Doesn't turnover the ball
But takes too long to make decisions on throwing the ball
Good qb but we need more

King is not the answer

Weigman should get a shot
zephyr88
AG
Watching Max Johnson is like watching David Carr in the early years of the Texans. He has to be tough. There's literally no one protecting him. He's just trying not to get sacked on every single play.
tjack16
AG
Johnson is the better option between him and King.

I'm convinced king would have made a bad turnover in the Miami and Arkansas games which would have cost us if he had started.

LSU let max throw it all over the field last year, and he averaged 250 yards + per game. With a bad OLine as well and no running game.

That being said, if he is hurt going forward… just start Weigman and prepare for 2023
Ag in ATL
AG
jenks said:

Max does not make rookie mistakes. He is a good starter. We just need an O line that can block.
This. Doesn't matter what O we run, without blocking no scheme will work. There are things that can be done to help. Finesse rather than strength. Rollouts, draws, screens, motion, etc.

i wonder what game tape review of our opponents has contributed on both O and D. Friday night I watched a video of just State's O vs LSU's D from last Saturday. Kitties got in the dawgs heads and had their way for the most part. Blueprint? Are we unable to duplicate it? Did the pirate make adjustments? There was much discussion on here that Durkin beat 'em last year and so he could do it again. We did hold them scoreless for a quarter and a half, then we fell apart. Wha' happened? Wasn't able to catch the game live.
68RebelE
AG
Max is SLOW. King is FAST.
King has won the starting job twice.
Also, I prefer fast.
Angry Beaver
AG
jenks said:

And King isn't a rookie.
Angry Beaver
AG
warrington74 said:

He is tough
Doesn't turnover the ball
But takes too long to make decisions on throwing the ball
Good qb but we need more

King is not the answer

Weigman should get a shot
By "we need more," I hope you're talking about the rest of the team.

This whole idea that Max takes too long is ridiculous. He goes through the reads and looks for options. He's not going to give up easily. That's what King does and why we get what we get with him. You can't give the o-line a chance to figure out their battle if you're running all over the field. And it doesn't matter how slow or fast you decide on the receiver when the receivers can't catch what you put in their hands. He's giving them the best chance to catch the ball.
aeon-ag
LatinAggie1997 said:

Hell, he spent the day running for his life!!!!
romanagg11
Max is a great player! Too bad our OLine coach and playcalller both suck.
LatinAggie1997
AG
68RebelE said:

Max is SLOW. King is FAST.
King has won the starting job twice.
Also, I prefer fast.

Slow is steady and steady is fast.
Max doesn't have straight line speed like King or the elusiveness of a JFF, but he has made more defenders miss on a scramble and run for a first than King. He also lowers his shoulder for the tough yards better because he is willing and able to take a hit.
NoahAg
I feel bad for our QBs. Not knowing where the snap will be. Or which o lineman will whiff on a block. Of which WR will cut his route short or drop a pass.
Let's go, Brandon!
TyperWoods
Max is a game manager.
LatinAggie1997
AG
TyperWoods said:

Max is a game manager.

He has ro be right now because of the OL and plays we run. When he has time he makes the right choice and completion.

LatinAggie1997
AG
NoahAg said:

I feel bad for our QBs. Not knowing where the snap will be. Or which o lineman will whiff on a block. Of which WR will cut his route short or drop a pass.

Yeah, right now there are too many factors affecting them simply being a QB.

Sux!
sharpdressedman
Yep, Max is a warrior and we are fortunate to have him. If he had an OL that wasn't a sieve, he would be putting up large numbers.
TMartin
There is no Isiah Spiller to block for Max. If I was his dad I might be thinking about Kyle Allen about now.
Bryanisbest
AG
atx_aggie12 said:

I agree completely. Not sure what all the hate on Max is about. He has been put in a no win situation and looks better than 99% of QBs would if they were playing in this offense right now.

Correct, I agree OP. The hate is due to a subliminal dislike for the guy who beat us at LSU last year. It is exposed in statements like this: "Max beat us on that last play least year." "Yes, but our defender was interfered with by the offense!" What does that have to do with Max's perfect throw on the play? They refuse to credit Max today because of his play last year.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.