Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Sumlin

2,741 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TMF
Gyles Marrett
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In no way do I wish he was still our coach...

but I have to give him credit for one thing. Took a chance on a freshman QB with a lot of potential and upside. Maybe Kliff had a lot to do with that decision but that decision led to an unbelievable season, a heisman, likely all the upgrades to Kyle, a huge payday for Sumlin, and a head coaching job for Kliff. I feel reasonably confident Jimbo would have gone with Showers because "experience". That decision alone is likely the most positively consequential decision in the history of the program.
greg.w.h
AG
Fair take. Sumlin doesn't get many of those 'round hyeah…
txaggieacct85
AG
PascalsWager
AG
I still don't really understand the point of redshirting. I certainly don't understand the point of calling someone who's in their 2nd year of college and completely adjusted to student and football life, a freshman. The terms no longer apply. I go with years at the University when talking about football players. He was a 2nd year player.

So if your argument is to play Connor, it doesn't apply. Next year it absolutely will.

And if you're talking about Kyler then that didn't end particularly well.
Sq 17
Sumlin did not take a chance Sumlin was deciding based on self interest. New coaches are judged in years 3-4 more harshly then they are judged in years 1-2.
Sumlin was willing to lose a couple of games in year 1,2 to win more in year 3

Granted JFF left early so the strategy did not work out but new coaches play underclassmen because year 3 is When new coaches are evaluated
PascalsWager
AG
And Jimbo also took another 2nd year player and won the Heisman and national championship with him.

We have NO 2nd year players on this roster with HUGE upside at QB.
oldschoolcat
AG
I thought this thread was going to be about coaches who couldn't take criticism and stubbornly stuck with things that weren't working.
Gyles Marrett
PascalsWager said:

I still don't really understand the point of redshirting. I certainly don't understand the point of calling someone who's in their 2nd year of college and completely adjusted to student and football life, a freshman. The terms no longer apply. I go with years at the University when talking about football players. He was a 2nd year player.

So if your argument is to play Connor, it doesn't apply. Next year it absolutely will.

He was year two in college. But year 1 was spent in Mike Sherman's system practicing primarily at other skill positions and not QB. So I don't think practicing at WR, RB, and safety on Sherman's team provided him any sort of year 1 experience playing QB in Sumlin/Kliff's system. He was a year 1 player in reality because of it.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Does no one remember how sumlin handled the QB situation after johnny?

Sumlin lost two 5 star QB's in like a month
PascalsWager
AG
Gyles Marrett said:

PascalsWager said:

He was year two in college. But year 1 was spent in Mike Sherman's system practicing primarily at other skill positions and not QB. So I don't think practicing at WR, RB, and safety on Sherman's team provided him any sort of year 1 experience playing QB in Sumlin/Kliff's system. He was a year 1 player in reality because of it.
There is more to success than football intricacies. There is physical maturity and life with the team and at the university.
Gyles Marrett
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

Hence why I said the ONE thing I give him credit for. Kyler also probably never considers A&M without the decision to start Johnny. But yes, how he handled that QB situation I'd put near the top of his worst decisions while here....maybe second just behind not simply running the ball and the clock in the second half at UCLA lol.
Gyles Marrett
PascalsWager said:

Gyles Marrett said:

PascalsWager said:

There is more to success than football intricacies. There is physical maturity and life with the team and at the university.
Yeah that must be why we went with the most frail looking of our QB options this year.
PascalsWager
AG
Gyles Marrett said:

PascalsWager said:

Gyles Marrett said:

PascalsWager said:

Yeah that must be why we went with the most frail looking of our QB options this year.
I don't think we have a good QB option this year. Run the damn ball.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Gyles Marrett said:

Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

Hence why I said the ONE thing I give him credit for. Kyler also probably never considers A&M without the decision to start Johnny. But yes, how he handled that QB situation I'd put near the top of his worst decisions while here....maybe second just behind not simply running the ball and the clock in the second half at UCLA lol.
Im sorry, i love you.
Gyles Marrett
Awkward
Gyles Marrett
PascalsWager said:

Gyles Marrett said:

PascalsWager said:

Gyles Marrett said:

PascalsWager said:

I don't think we have a good QB option this year. Run the damn ball.
"Raffield saw that firsthand in the spring of Weigman's freshman year. Bridgeland returned an all-district quarterback, a sophomore with talent. That sophomore squatted 400 pounds in front of a ruckus weight room in March of Weigman's freshman year. Weigman, Raffield recalls, raced from the back of the weight room and demanded that 405 pounds be placed on the squat rack. Weigman completed the lift. He'd go on to start for Bridgeland as a sophomore while his competitor ended up transferring out of the program."

As a high school freshman....I'm willing to bet Conner is plenty physically mature 4 years later to play QB this year.
TMF
AG
PascalsWager said:

And Jimbo also took another 2nd year player and won the Heisman and national championship with him.

We have NO 2nd year players on this roster with HUGE upside at QB.

We should. Jimbo has been here long enough. Jimbo has struck out on QB his entire time here. Maybe CW will be different.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.