Story Poster
Greg Sankey Q&A
Nick Roush Q&A
Texas A&M Football

From Radio Row, Day 3: The commissioner of the SEC Greg Sankey

July 20, 2022

Wednesday morning from Radio Row at SEC Media Days 2022 in Atlanta, GA, the commissioner of the Southeastern Conference Greg Sankey joined TexAgs Radio to discuss the current state of the conference.

Editor’s Note: Also included in the playlist is Nick Roush of KSR on the Kentucky Wildcats.

Key notes from Greg Sankey interview

• The 12th Man Champions Council event in San Antonio was good. It was healthy for me to watch A&M baseball team win over Texas. I was cheering for the conference member. I appreciated all the interaction, questions, enthusiasm and support. I did some video conferences on student athlete nutrition. What I thought was neat was from Ross Bjork and the athletics department's perspective as they are trying to educate supporters on all that happens to support outstanding competition.

• One of the unfortunate aspects of the Texas and Oklahoma story coming out the way it did is that we had a conference call scheduled the next day with an update on what had taken place within the previous six weeks. As it becomes more and more apparent, the story breaks, and you lose a bit of control. Bjork and Texas A&M University President Katherine Banks came to see me after the invitation was extended. We talked about what had happened, the importance of A&M’s conference membership and the sensitivity of some of the history with the University of Texas. Some A&M fans have appreciated it, and there are ones that are not too happy with me. I appreciate both perspectives.

• What happened a couple weeks ago is validation of our decision-making because there are scenarios I had plotted out that create chaotic situations if we just schools float and find their own way.

• We added rivalries by expanding. Depending on scheduling, we may see the same games be played every year, but they will be played every other year. We created opportunities of the same type of intensity and with a smile-on-my-face hatred that happens as a 14-member league.

• I didn’t get into this business to take other people’s members. I told the presidents of Texas and Oklahoma that one of the moments I regretted was the impact of my relationship with Bob Bowlsby. Now you try to make the right decision for the big picture. The world is revolving around us right now. Congratulations to the other conference moving to 16. I don't get as upset as others do because I've watched conference membership change. There’s an intensity about it where it disrupts your sleep which is no fun.

• With Arkansas, South Carolina, A&M, Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas, these are avid fan bases that care deeply, and the rivalries take off. I look at expansion philosophically and culturally because I think there’s danger in aggregating numbers.

• I think we could be exactly where we are in three to five years. Brent Zwerneman asked me for a comment a year ago today. On Thursday, we had a lot of questions. On Monday, Texas and Oklahoma let the Big 12 know they would not continue the current grant of rights. On Tuesday afternoon, they formally applied. The SEC can stop here. There aren't a lot of success stories of 16-team leagues. Going to 20 is not the right goal. The end game is to keep the healthy culture we have. A&M is exploding in a great way from enrollment, sport research and contributions to the committee and the state. The end game could be right here. There are circumstances around us that dictate our path forward. 

• I met with Nick Saban and Jimbo Fisher for a half hour before the Destin meetings. That was there first time to be together since it happened. You are used to a little bit of commentary, but that was next level and shouldn't have happened. First I said to them, “It’s never going to be the way it was, gentlemen. We've had conference membership shifts, TV contracts and stadiums rebuilt in a couple of years. There’s a lot that's just different. What does not help is finger pointing and accusations.”

• Jimbo was our chair in Destin, and we had two days of great meetings with in-depth conversations. The next thing I said to them was, “You are responsible for what you say, your players, your program and your prospects. It’s not about anybody elses players, program or season.” I don't have to pound my fist.

• When I spoke with Nick the morning after he made the original comments, I was in New York, and it was 11 p.m. when my phone started to vibrate, trying to figure out what was going on. I never feel good about that because I didn't do anything. Nick understood right away. I listened to Jimbo, and we had a respectul convo between the two of us. There was unacceptablity from his perspective of what happened, which I fully understand. We’re turning the page, and October 8 will be a great competition, right?

• We have a lot of things as a conference, but we are not dull. We’re proud of Texas A&M and what’s happening on that campus.

Key notes from Nick Roush of KSR

• It sounds like Mark Stoops is here for a long haul. We’ve reached the big offseason hurdle where the coaching carousel spun around really fast. People were worried Stoops would leave for LSU before they hired Brian Kelly. If there’s ever a job that would keep Stoops from not being in Lexington, it’s Iowa. He’s an Iowa graduate. That job means a lot to him.

• Kentucky let Stoops be patient. A good quarterback is a fast-track program turnaround. He can change a program pretty quickly. Kentucky did it with linemen. It's not sexy, but they did it through the trenches.

• With Chris Rodriguez, the fumbling issue is why he couldn’t get drafted last year, and he came back for another season and put together another body of work.

• Will Levis’ first throw was an interception. He struggled against Florida, but LSU was a coming-out performance for him. At Georgia, they didn't win that game, but I think he had the best stats other than Bryce Young against them all year. It’s third-and-eight. He’s going to get the first down whether he’s throwing it, running over you or jumping over you.

• Kentucky has a deeper receiver room this year and has recruited well. They don’t have the one guy you can rely on. Offenisve coordinator Liam Coen a rockstar. You hope that the play calling moves this thing in the right direction. They’ve improved the speed, and that was a big hurdle.

• Stoops will say it today: They have been close and knocking on that door. To get to that next step, you have to have a difference maker at quarterback that makes those extraordinary plays to get over that hump.

• Their defensive line was talented when they signed this recruiting class right up there with Alabama and Clemson. They haven't had a lot of playing time. Kentucky's pass defense helped them get to where they needed to go, but they didn't create a ton of turnovers.

• You have a season win total of about 7.5 games. You feel good about all of the out-of-conference games, but the big rivalries are on the road. What’s preventing them from an 11-win season is road losses. It’s going to come down to those two games. You have to take care of business in Gainesville and in Knoxville. It’s fair to say Kentucky or Tennessee will finish second in the east.

• J.J. Weaver played with a hurt ACL. He was not at 100 percent and did a little bit of everything. He could be right there with Will Anderson. He has great potential as a pass rusher in this conference. 
Discussion from...

From Radio Row, Day 3: The commissioner of the SEC Greg Sankey

3,881 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TyperWoods
Houstonag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yea, the story breaks that you, Sankey, cooked a deal with the sips and okie without including TAMU in the discussions. Him stating that Banks, Sharp, and others came to his office to talk about it the next day states volumes about what happened. We were excluded and the understanding we had with the Ags joining the SEC was broken.
MagnumLoad
Should have asked him why A&M was not in the loop to begin with. Then the story breaking is no big effing deal. I think he is a very bad commish. How the heck did he get the job?
I hate tu. It's in my blood.
greg.w.h
AG
He said Bjork went. Sharp isn't on record about the situation as far as I know, but somehow a quick decision was communicated and everyone else lined up in favor of adding them then the BoR instructed a vote approving the accession. The closest of an account of Sharp's interests is this Thamel piece and to say it is typical of his speculative approach is fair. Note the byline date was 7/22/2021 so it isn't news.

https://iowastate.rivals.com/news/sec-s-courtship-of-texas-oklahoma-here-s-what-s-next-for-some-big-players
Houstonag
AG
In the oral communication he stated that he spoke with Sharp saying he had never spoken with him before. Whether he was on the trip or not I could not tell but he stated he spoke with Sharp. It is clear the deal was cooked for obvious reason. I have my conclusion.
jigsaw87
greg.w.h
AG
Thanks for the heads up in the Sharp conversation. It smells like we lost at politics again. Though I suspect we will be thrown more bones to keep us quiet like renewing the series at Kyle that was announced previously.

The silver lining is inventory value positions revenue payments and ABC providing national broadcasts of the SEC game of the week is paying significantly more than CBS fid for the same inventory and now controls how games face off against other games. There is zero doubt the traditional TV audiences for Texas and OU are larger than our current audience. So it's an objective net positive to add them and benefits all the schools.

Sankey admitting he had only apparently spoken to Sharp once before might tell us all we need to know. I doubt Texas leadership will be that quiet…which arguably is how we got here.
Houstonag
AG
I am convinced the motive is not only the modeled money tree but to dilute TAMU in the state of Texas recruiting battle. It is inconceivable that Sankey cooked this deal without consulting the Ags. Immoral, unprofessional and without honor. The four schools that count according to Sankey methods is Florida, Alabama, LSU, and Georgia . Maybe add Ole Miss. The others would tag along with the decision to add the sips and okie. Those lessor school's performance in football is not going to change any. They are unlikely
to win the East or the West.
greg.w.h
AG
The payoff is…equal payments after all…they probably realized what just happened to the Big 12 and Pac could happen to them…
bizag07
Quote:

I am convinced the motive is not only the modeled money tree but to dilute TAMU in the state of Texas recruiting battle. It is inconceivable that Sankey cooked this deal without consulting the Ags. Immoral, unprofessional and without honor. The four schools that count according to Sankey methods is Florida, Alabama, LSU, and Georgia . Maybe add Ole Miss
You're "convinced", that Greg Sankey did this to dilute A&M's recruiting efforts in Texas?

And that Greg Sankey values Ole Miss at this point more than A&M?

Put the bottle down if you think either of those things are true.
dixichkn
AG
So Looch……..was Sankey cranking himself while he was sitting there talking about how incredible it was going to be having ToxicU in the fold? How he totally went behind our backs to screw us?
Houstonag
AG
Here we go. Resorting to insults to make a point that Sankey did NOT have a moral and ethical duty to discuss the matter with TAMU immediately is unconscionable for Sankey and immature for you. If you have a logical and business way to present your case please go forward but your insults are not welcome here.
BoomGoesThe
Has anyone in the media (including Texags) ever asked Sankey which current schools he did discuss adding Texas and OU with? It would be hard to believe that he didn't make sure he had the votes before extending the invitation.
bizag07
Quote:

Here we go. Resorting to insults to make a point that Sankey did NOT have a moral and ethical duty to discuss the matter with TAMU immediately is unconscionable for Sankey and immature for you. If you have a logical and business way to present your case please go forward but your insults are not welcome here.
You don't know he didn't. You know Ross didn't know. But you have no idea who knew what, when.

It was kept quiet from everybody, bc **** leaks.

And from both a logistical and business standpoint, A&M is being shortchanged of nothing. And Ole Miss isn't being prioritized at the expense of A&M.

Put either the bottle or the tin foil hat down.
TyperWoods
My takeaway from commissioner Sankey's comments:

FU Skanky with a box full of tu dildos
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.