Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The BIG is going to undercut the SEC!

12,202 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by alvtimes
Toptierag2018
How long do you want to ignore this user?
To the detriment of the SEC. Very likely the BIG gets Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington, and Stanford. But that is far from where their eyes are looking. Clemson is in discussion with the BIG now. Miami and North Carolina are not far behind.

The BIG is wanting to brand as the "national" conference. Clemson will be able to sell to recruits being one of the only south eastern schools that is a national team playing Ohio State, USC, Notre Dame etc.

If the SEC rests on its laurels and feels content where they are at then the BIG is going to take a hold of the SEC footprint. Only way to prevent this is to make a run at Clemson and the like to prevent the BIG from encroaching on the SEC stronghold.

Now is a critical time for the SEC.

Report on Clemson to the BIG
Jimbo4win
AG
That or we could join the BIG too..
wbt5845
AG
Bigger =/= Better

HTH
Toptierag2018
wbt5845 said:

Bigger =/= Better

HTH

It is when you cover almost every major market in America. Miami, South Carolina, North Carolina, Washington DC, NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle. The SEC will be a regional brand that isn't even the only league with major programs in the area.

Clemson, Miami, UNC are A level programs overall.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Don't care. We can take VT and NCSU and still kick their ass.
Toptierag2018
The Chicken Ranch said:

Give me Florida State too and you have a deal.
20ag07
So. To boil it down. We're supposed to be concerned, because Stanford had a conversation with the Big 10.

But we think message boards need to tell Greg Sankey to talk to Clemson, Oregon, Washington?

You're concerned conversations happened with the Big10, and Sankey was on a beach somewhere?
Toptierag2018
20ag07 said:

So. To boil it down. We're supposed to be concerned, because Stanford had a conversation with the Big 10.

But we think message boards need to tell Greg Sankey to talk to Clemson, Oregon, Washington?

You're concerned conversations happened with the Big10, and Sankey was on a beach somewhere?

Not quite but close. I have no issues over the west coast or even a Virginia in the more northern east.

But losing a Clemson (or even a Miami) in state we hold SEC programs currently in is not good at all. If Clemson and Miami both become and maintain as top 10 programs for the big, recruits in Florida and the south east will look to them for what they can offer that the SEC can't. We need to lock the BIG out of our region to have something they can't, Florida and Georgia area recruits.
Houstonag
AG
Bologna
20ag07
Geography/Footprints don't matter, and the SEC has been on the phone all week.
sambaag
Toptierag2018 said:

The Chicken Ranch said:

Give me Florida State too and you have a deal.
I'd take Arizona St as well- 4 large, growing markets with decent programs that would quickly upgrade with a SEC association
Look at the habitual masturbator! See how thin, pale and haggard he appears; how his eyes are sunken; how long and cadaverous is his cast of countenance; how irritable he is and how sluggish, mentally and physically; how afraid he is to meet the eye of his fellow, feel his damp and chilling hand, so characteristic of great vital exhaustion.” Dr Henry Guernsey, Plain Talks on Avoided Subjects (1882)
aggiehawg
AG
Toptierag2018 said:

20ag07 said:

Not quite but close. I have no issues over the west coast or even a Virginia in the more northern east.

But losing a Clemson (or even a Miami) in state we hold SEC programs currently in is not good at all. If Clemson and Miami both become and maintain as top 10 programs for the big, recruits in Florida and the south east will look to them for what they can offer that the SEC can't. We need to lock the BIG out of our region to have something they can't, Florida and Georgia area recruits.
What the SEC offers now and will continue to offer is the chance to play for championships and getting into the NFL.

Go check which conference places more players in the NFL.

I'll wait.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Toptierag2018 said:

wbt5845 said:

Bigger =/= Better

HTH

It is when you cover almost every major market in America. Miami, South Carolina, North Carolina, Washington DC, NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle. The SEC will be a regional brand that isn't even the only league with major programs in the area.

Clemson, Miami, UNC are A level programs overall.

But that logic, football teams covering the Miami, South Carolina, North Carolina, Washington DC, NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Seattle markets must have the highest ratings for college football and get paid the largest TV revenues? Wait they don't? Huh?
Toptierag2018
aggiehawg said:

Toptierag2018 said:

20ag07 said:

What the SEC offers now and will continue to offer is the chance to play for championships and getting into the NFL.

Go check which conference places more players in the NFL.

I'll wait.

Want to know how many draft picks the Big 10 + USC, Oregon, Clemson, Notre Dame, Miami and their other additions has had over the same span?
20ag07
Quote:

But losing a Clemson (or even a Miami) in state we hold SEC programs currently in is not good at all.
You realize, right, that like 2 million posts have cried about that happening in Texas.

Cake. Can't have it. And eat it too.

It's all gonna be alright, by the way. You'll like the moves you see, better than what we see today.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
So that must be why their per school revenues are higher than SEC schools? Oh wait, again they aren't?
Alpha Texan
AG
I still expect us to give them an uppercut
Showstopper
AG
So if I understand it correctly, the OP is concerned that the Big 10 will be perceived as the national conference, and he's worried that they will pick up schools inside the SEC footprint. So we are supposed to combat the national perception by picking up schools inside the footprint? Not sure I understand how that makes us any more national.

Btw I'm not saying it was a bad move for the Big 10, but I wouldn't be excited if the sec added USC and UCLA.

Also, are we sure the Big 10 isn't going after Texas? This national branding perception marketing stuff sounds like the kind of stuff they like to beat themselves off over. I'm just saying.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

So if I understand it correctly, the OP is concerned that the Big 10 will be perceived as the national conference, and he's worried that they will pick up schools inside the SEC footprint. So we are supposed to combat the national perception by picking up schools inside the footprint? Not sure I understand how that makes us any more national.
Nonsensical, isn't it?
aggiehawg
AG
Gerrymandering comes to college football.

20ag07
Quote:

Nonsensical, isn't it?
As nonsensical as you not recognizing the SEC should expand, in this landscape, the SEC created. But go ahead.
Toptierag2018
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Nonsensical, isn't it?

The BIG is national either way. It turns Clemson and Miami national.
Toptierag2018
Bob Knights Liver said:

So that must be why their per school revenues are higher than SEC schools? Oh wait, again they aren't?

The BIG's new deal they are negotiating with USC in the fold will be closer to $100 million per school than $50 million per school. More than the current SEC makes
aggiehawg
AG
20ag07 said:

Quote:

Nonsensical, isn't it?
As nonsensical as you not recognizing the SEC should expand, in this landscape, the SEC created. But go ahead.
Why? Be very specific as to why the SEC must expand or what? Exactly? Shrivel up and die?

The only conference on death's door right now is the PAC. And it took over a decade of extreme mismanagement to get there.
Ian Neff
AG
Let's go wherever the sips don't end up.
Sponge
AG
aggiehawg said:

Gerrymandering comes to college football.

What's that square? Do Bermuda have a team?
Toptierag2018
aggiehawg said:

20ag07 said:

Quote:

Nonsensical, isn't it?
Why? Be very specific as to why the SEC must expand or what? Exactly? Shrivel up and die?

The only conference on death's door right now is the PAC. And it took over a decade of extreme mismanagement to get there.

Here's why. The BIG is on a path to 24 teams in a few years. Things are inevitably headed to a two power conference landscape. If the SEC sits back then they are willingly giving the BIG all the 1st round draft picks to fill out that 24.

God forbid the SEC has to be stuck with left overs like Baylor because all the premier ACC schools are already gone.
20ag07
Quote:

You used to be smarter than this, really.

The SEC is not going to shrivel up and die. The SEC will fortify its position.

What the SEC does need to do, is replace 3 cupcakes, x 14 teams, plus 2= 58 games. That's a lot. ESPN, and Fox, are pulverizing the Sam, App St, UMass games. It will all be gone, done.

And annual UNC/A&M matchups, or all the equivalents from all the friendly neighbors and business partners or whatever we're calling that today, become boring, but biannually, triannually, less so.

Inventory must be filled. The SEC needs enough teams to fill that churn. Big enough roster for variety, done with the games no one wants to watch, need more teams to make sure it's not the sameish slate every year.

Just watch, this is happening.

So the SEC, in a position of strength, will take the best for that churn slate. Big 10/Fox are doing it, and they aren't done yet. The SEC can wait, and take the lesser.

They won't wait, and it will strike first.

As, at this point, they should.
aggiehawg
AG
20ag07 said:

Quote:

You used to be smarter than this, really.

The SEC is not going to shrivel up and die. The SEC will fortify its position.

What the SEC does need to do, is replace 3 cupcakes, x 14. That's a lot. And annual UNC/A&M matchups, or all the equivalents from all the friendly neighbors and business partners or whatever we're calling that today, become boring, but biannually, triannually, less so.

ESPN, and Fox, are pulverizing the Sam, App St, UMass. It will all be gone, done.

The SEC needs enough teams to fill that churn. Big enough roster for variety, done with the games no one wants to watch, need more teams to make sure it's not the sameish slate every year.

Just watch, this is happening.

So the SEC, in a position of strength, will take the best for that churn slate. Or they can wait, and take the lesser.

They won't wait, and it will happen.
So the SEC being boycotted for OOC games by the other P5 conferences? Is that your fear?

Other than a boycott, member schools can schedule other P5 members for OOC if they want to now, can't they?
20ag07
Quote:

So the SEC being boycotted for OOC games by the other P5 conferences? Is that your fear?

Other than a boycott, member schools can schedule other P5 members for OOC if they want to now, can't they?
I don't fear one thing.

What you don't seem to understand is: 1)"P5" died last week, if it hadn't already a year ago. It's now a P2.

2)The P2 may maybe once a year play 1 in the lower 3, whatever those end up being, but certainly not FCS.

3) All scheduling will be ceded to the conference/the networks. In exchange for the money. We all used to schedule our own non-con games. SEC/ESPN/Fox/B1G will schedule every drop of that going forward.

4)The SEC wouldn't take another team if the dollars weren't there. They will be there.

5)The SEC will take the best teams they can get their hands on, bc every point above applies to FoX/Big10.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

3) All scheduling will be ceded to the conference, and for us ESPN. We all used to scheduled our own non-con games. SEC/ESPN/Fox/B1G will schedule every drop of that.
Apparently I missed that memo. Do you have a link so I can get educated on when and why that happened with the consent of the SEC members?
20ag07
Quote:

Apparently I missed that memo. Do you have a link so I can get educated on when and why that happened with the consent of the SEC members?
Just watch. It will be in the next contract with all the money.

But you got the specifics you asked for.
JBGoode
AG
Houstonag said:

Bologna

I second this
JBGoode
AG
Ian Neff said:

Let's go wherever the sips don't end up.

And yet every other thread is about them. Some Ags need mental help.
JBGoode
AG
I think North Carolina is bargaining to see which big will take Duke. Sankey, don't do it. Let them go.

Clemson and FSU are coming SEC, the ACC dominoes start falling with UNC, however.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.