Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Solid projection on the future (and impact) of conference consolidation

1,242 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by greg.w.h
Halconblack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The article is behind a pay wall and is mostly subjective, but I think it is right on target. I say this knowing three things: 1) A&M will be a "winner" in conference consolidation in terms of money. 2) This platform , Texags, will also be a monetary winner. 3) Media companies are driving all of the moves.

https://theathletic.com/3396358/2022/07/01/college-football-conference-realignment-big-ten/?source=user_shared_article

A couple of quotes

"It will eventually be replaced by an NFL Jr.-type sport, and the TV executives who have long dreamed about this will finally get their wish for a simpler product to package."

"ESPN will soon have all of the SEC's media rights. Fox owns 61 percent of the Big Ten Network and reportedly locked up half of the Big Ten's next media rights deal..."

"When college football reaches the inevitable end of this road with 30 to 40 teams left at the highest level, the powers that be won't want you to hand down your Washington State fandom to your children. They'll want your kids to latch on to USC or Texas or Alabama, much like the Golden State Warriors or the Kansas City Chiefs have fans all over the world."

I personally don't really care A&M or Texags is a "winner." I am a huge Aggie fan. But, I enjoy Aggie football through the paradigm of college football. I think that will be destroyed and I am not sure I will enjoy it as much through the Semi-Pro lens.
v/r
NyAggie
AG
Halconblack said:

The article is behind a pay wall and is mostly subjective, but I think it is right on target. I say this knowing three things: 1) A&M will be a "winner" in conference consolidation in terms of money. 2) This platform , Texags, will also be a monetary winner. 3) Media companies are driving all of the moves.

https://theathletic.com/3396358/2022/07/01/college-football-conference-realignment-big-ten/?source=user_shared_article

A couple of quotes

"It will eventually be replaced by an NFL Jr.-type sport, and the TV executives who have long dreamed about this will finally get their wish for a simpler product to package."

"ESPN will soon have all of the SEC's media rights. Fox owns 61 percent of the Big Ten Network and reportedly locked up half of the Big Ten's next media rights deal..."

"When college football reaches the inevitable end of this road with 30 to 40 teams left at the highest level, the powers that be won't want you to hand down your Washington State fandom to your children. They'll want your kids to latch on to USC or Texas or Alabama, much like the Golden State Warriors or the Kansas City Chiefs have fans all over the world."

I personally don't really care A&M or Texags is a "winner." I am a huge Aggie fan. But, I enjoy Aggie football through the paradigm of college football. I think that will be destroyed and I am not sure I will enjoy it as much through the Semi-Pro lens.

If it's down to 30 or 40 teams it simply won't be as much fun or nearly as enjoyable

The best part about college football is the little guy pulling off upsets

Tgst pretty much goes away with only the 30 or 40 biggest programs competing against one another

Emilio Fantastico
AG
My biggest question about all this is will the appeal of an "NFL jr" be as big as the appeal of college football as it currently exists.
NyAggie
AG
Emilio Fantastico said:

My biggest question about all this is will the appeal of an "NFL jr" be as big as the appeal of college football as it currently exists.

A lot of people won't be interested because their school is not one of the power 40

But the. I think you'll get a portion of people, general football fans, that will like the idea of the better programs all playing one another

It will make for more high quality games overall but you lose the "big upset" factor

Halconblack
AG
I think the appeal to the media companies in the short run is packaging bigger names for every time slot on their schedule. They don't have to worry about Washington State vs USC. They have got 12 weeks of USC vs Michigan, UCLA, OSU, etc. They are betting they can force the Washington State fans to pick a new school. Or maybe they are just hoping that more USC fans will be engaged. I don't know. But I am betting the Washington State fans spend their money and time elsewhere.
v/r
Batty
NyAggie said:

Halconblack said:

A couple of quotes

If it's down to 30 or 40 teams it simply won't be as much fun or nearly as enjoyable

The best part about college football is the little guy pulling off upsets

Tgst pretty much goes away with only the 30 or 40 biggest programs competing against one another

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/college-football-national-championship-history

I guess you have not enjoyed college football for a while then.
wbt5845
AG
Yeah, seems to me this is an effort to get down to a reasonable number of like 60-ish. That's four sixteen team conferences.

Getting rid of the directional Michigans, sparsely populated state schools out west, and small private schools gets us there.
PascalsWager
AG
If it's less than ~60 and the Ags aren't at least contending I won't be watching any non A&M games.
Aggieair
NyAggie said:

Emilio Fantastico said:

A lot of people won't be interested because their school is not one of the power 40

But the. I think you'll get a portion of people, general football fans, that will like the idea of the better programs all playing one another

It will make for more high quality games overall but you lose the "big upset" factor

Not sure where people keep getting this notion from. The vast majority of college football fans are fans of teams already in the Power 5.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MiUOwx8X3H2bSkUOz8a1YhceyJWLLCoJ/view

The Power 5 schools already get a way bigger paycheck for a reason. That's where the eyeballs are.
Iowaggie
AG
Unless college football goes to an NFL division type format, a lot of the regional rivalries and regional identity is gone. Now, certainly playing the same 3 or 4 teams each season would keep it around, but I don't see that happening for a while.

I'm all for an NFL-type scheduling system if it means getting rid of the cupcakes that take up 35-33% of the schedule.

The conferences and formats can change, most people will still keep watching their own school.

The weakening of the NCAA and increase control of the networks makes the NFL-lite or more realistic possibility each season.
greg.w.h
AG
Or they can agree to Sankey's proposal and preserve broader participation. But the Altimore graphics show what the reorganization this time is based on. It isn't potential subs in footprint.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.