Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Big Ten Network needs a major overhaul

1,412 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Timberwolf
Timberwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
if they want to be on par with the SEC Network. Its awful. All classic reruns and zero news. How in the hell did they not adjust programming after what just went down?
Sponge
AG
They really need to add programming for collegiate surfing competitions to attract more southern California schools to their conference.
fulshearAg96
AG
I would give them Paul Finebaum in a heart beat!
aggiehawg
AG
Fox Sports in general have lower production values than ESPN. They don't spend money on programming and it shows. As a part owner, the B1G would rather have the money than other content.

Their audience is way different than the core audience of the SEC which tends to love everything about the South, food, music, sports history, etc.

ESPN tried to do the same thing with the LHN at first, food shows, etc. but the focus was too narrow to find an audience that gave a crap.
Timberwolf
AG
Very interesting analysis. Sounds like you may be in the industry?

I would agree that the audience is very different but I would imagine FOX will need to improve its production value now that the LA market is in town dont you think?

From my understanding, the PAC 12 Network failures was a big reason why UCLA and USC left.
aggiehawg
AG
Timberwolf said:

Very interesting analysis. Sounds like you may be in the industry?

I would agree that the audience is very different but I would imagine FOX will need to improve its production value now that the LA market is in town dont you think?

From my understanding, the PAC 12 Network failures was a big reason why UCLA and USC left.
Not really in the industry but when I was practicing in Austin in the 90s, ran in some very influential crowds. People that Dodds was trying to get to invest in the idea of the Longhorn Network. Saw some of the numbers that he was trying to sell. Just didn't work.

But also included in those presentations was a historical look back at what killed the old SWC and why Arkansas left when they did for the SEC. Pro sports is why. Ate into the potential fan base for college ball.

Quote:

Arkansas' decision to leave the SWC was simple. Barring "dramatic change," Broyles said the conference will no longer be as competitive as it was in the 1960s, '70s and '80s. He said the popularity of professional sports in the conference's boundaries--three NBA teams, two NFL and two major league baseball franchises--have lowered the SWC's revenue. Recent figures show that an average of 50% of the available seats are empty at SWC football games.

"If we thought the SWC could change its direction and get competitive for the '90s (Arkansas would have stayed)," Broyles said. "But we don't know what they could do."

Money wasn't the entire issue. Broyles said the athletic program's financial status was "extremely sound for the next 10 years." Instead, Broyles said he was more concerned with the long-term benefits of the move: recruiting, fan base and image.
Link

But then you look at the footprint of the SEC and the lack of pro sports saturating many of those markets. College sports is it for many of them and doable by car. Keeps fans in the seats and watching on TV. SEC has a superior product and not much competition from the Pros. Just a very unique audience and it works to support varied programming on the SEC Network across those states.

SEC is very good at branding itself.
Timberwolf
AG
Great stuff, thanks for posting that. What's the story behind your forum name?
aggiehawg
AG
Timberwolf said:

Me? Dad, brother and all of my uncles were A&M, thus I was born an Aggie. The Hubs is from Arkansas and is a Razorback. Thus, "aggiehawg."
greg.w.h
AG
The Oilers killed Rice's fan base. They didn't use to need tarps. And filled their stadium without A&M visiting.
aggiehawg
AG
greg.w.h said:

The Oilers killed Rice's fan base. They didn't use to need tarps. And filled their stadium without A&M visiting.
Cowboys killed SMU and TCU with SMU committing seppuku during the Ron Meyer era.

When the Big Eight came calling, there was no interest in UofH, Rice, SMU, TCU.

Few remember how the College Football Association was formed after the Supreme Court decision breaking the NCAA's hold on TV rights. The Big Ten and the PAC 10 sold their rights as a conference to CBS and ABC. Notre Dame sold to NBC. The rest of the conferences banded together to collectively sell their rights through the CFA.

That is until the SEC announced the coming additions of Arkansas and South Carolina in 1990. The signal was that the SEC would pull out of the CFA and negotiate their own rights. The SEC was the most valuable conference in the CFA and their departure would severely damage it. The SEC and the Big East formally pulled out of the CFA in 1994-1995.
Timberwolf
AG
aggiehawg said:

Timberwolf said:

Me? Dad, brother and all of my uncles were A&M, thus I was born an Aggie. The Hubs is from Arkansas and is a Razorback. Thus, "aggiehawg."
Awesome! Must be fun bagging on the teasips in that household.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.