Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Please explain why SEC needs to expand more..

3,475 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 20ag07
DM44
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ESPN and FOX Sports run this new entertainment package.

ESPN will have 20-24 teams in the SEC and Fox will have 20-24 teams in the BIG. Each conference will have its own playoff and the two conference winners will play in a Super Bowl.

Sound familiar?

Sssss
It's all about money generated on TV and streaming contracts. The 4 biggest media markets in order are NYC, LA, Chicago and Philadelphia. The Big10 would have access to all of those. (Although i don't think Rutgers gives the Big10 much advantage in NYC- there are people from all over the country living there.)
SEC biggest media markets are Dallas (5), Atlanta (8) and Houston (10). So SEC is at risk of being 2nd in cash generated from media contracts.
This over simplifies things somewhat- regional allegiances are not the only way to generate fan interest, but its very important. Expansion into bigger markets would help SEC.
aggiehawg
AG
Speaking John said:

It's all about money generated on TV and streaming contracts. The 4 biggest media markets in order are NYC, LA, Chicago and Philadelphia. The Big10 would have access to all of those. (Although i don't think Rutgers gives the Big10 much advantage in NYC- there are people from all over the country living there.)
SEC biggest media markets are Dallas (5), Atlanta (8) and Houston (10). So SEC is at risk of being 2nd in cash generated from media contracts.
This over simplifies things somewhat- regional allegiances are not the only way to generate fan interest, but its very important. Expansion into bigger markets would help SEC.
A rookie poster since 2018?

There's a reason you should keep posting less.
aggrad02
AG
merch said:

Money.

Looks like money will also be reason college football implodes. Just when things look like they may be turning good for Aggie football we are on verge of collapse of entire system. Seems about right.

What is this collapse?
rootube
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

I think there are bigger pieces in play than Georgia Tech. It's an arms race to maximize TV revenue if you want the biggest prize you gobble up valuable teams until there is no team left that brings in more revenue than they take out.
Who is "valuable" and who is "not valuable"??

The B1G clearly didn't think the sips or sooners would be of much value to them. And that goes back to 2010, when Delaney was hell bent on expansion. Why do you think that is?

Well USC, UCLA, OU, and horn are valuable that has been demonstrated already. I suspect there are other top tier programs out there that will be next. I am confident the consolidation is not over by a long shot. I'm sure Sankey is meeting right now figuring out what comes next for the SEC. He'd be irresponsible not to.
rootube
AG
Coryhub said:

More teams doesn't mean more money or a better product. We already have the best product and adding tu/OU is enough.
Does adding 4 other teams just to have 20 make SEC better..?
Bringing in Okie St or FSU/Clemson UNC/UVA what does that do add a few more viewers in Carolinas..? Right now doesn't matter the region SEC produces the best matchups and the country watches.
Watering down the SEC will make weaker uninteresting matchups.
I thought quality over quantity..?!!

Does the SEC have the best product. I'd say the B10 just staked their own claim.
Al Bula
AG
I can foresee a lot of garbage sponsorship alliances playing out in games. For example, get ready to see about 20 different kickoff classics sponsored by a vendor who has a bunch of teams under its umbrella.

For example, the Muscle Milk Kick Off between Texas A&M and Stanford or the Wells Fargo Classic between UNC and UF. Sure seems like every game (not just network time slot) will have a sponsor in the very near future and it will be more in your face. I'm not talking about how sponsors already put their name on a network game, this will be even deeper.

Something like even a conference game at 2:30 ESPN game: The Yellawood A&M/Auburn Clash presented by Allstate.

Basically the nonsensical title sponsors reserved for the 40-ish bowl games will be coming to up to 1500 FBS games sometime soon.
20ag07
Quote:

I can foresee a lot of garbage sponsorship alliances playing out in games. For example, get ready to see about 20 different kickoff classics sponsored by a vendor who has a bunch of teams under its umbrella.
"The Texas A&M Aggies and the Arizona State Sun Devils will open the 2015 college football season in the AdvoCare Texas Kickoff at Reliant Stadium."

What would you say is new?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.