Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Is All The Negative Recruiting Slowing Us Down

8,740 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by moldaggie
Z Team
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not worried about Jimbo and staff getting a great class.

Seems like all the momentum on the recruiting front stalled after all the allegations started flying in against us. If their goal was to slow us down it seems to have worked. Did Saban accomplish his intended goal to slow down the train that was picking up steam?

A&M has never been ranked outside the top 35 in all the time Jimbo's been here-we are ranked 54.
Also Have we replaced all the recruiting positions that got raided by other teams. Seems like we may have lost some important pieces of the machine that went to Florida and Oregon.
Charlie Murphy
Every year we do some form of this. Jimbo always is slower to recruit. Quit doing this to yourselves.
taylorswift13
AG
LOL
NewOldAg
AG
https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3208759/replies/59624064#59624064

Like clockwork. You've been around for 17 years and still react like this? React to results, not to work in progress.
MaroonStain
AG
Peak off-season
The Lost
Big name players like the attention and don't all commit asap

Hth
maver1ck
AG
Charlie Murphy said:

Every year we do some form of this. Jimbo always is slower to recruit. Quit doing this to yourselves.

Ding ding ding
fieldtrailer
AG
It's not hurting them as much as 7 years of horrible passing game/below avg total offense that is showing signs of getting even worse.
The last 2 decades of offense has been bad with the exception of a year or two. Getting rediculous that it just doesn't get better.
AG
fieldtrailer said:

Getting rediculous

I know something else that's "rediculous"
taylorswift13
AG
You're right, if only we could recruit a 5 star QB and two 5 star WR's and 3 of the 6 top TE's and a top 5 RB to play in this horrible passing game… oh wait
Z Team
AG
fieldtrailer said:

It's not hurting them as much as 7 years of horrible passing game/below avg total offense that is showing signs of getting even worse.
The last 2 decades of offense has been bad with the exception of a year or two. Getting rediculous that it just doesn't get better.

This is next level stupid following the highest rated class in history.

My question came from thinking that we would have carried more momentum into this years class especially with defenders playing behind our DL. The fact that we have so little momentum is why I asked if there was some effect from the negative recruiting going on.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
What is new!
Jimbo4win
AG
fieldtrailer said:

Change the 7 to a 1 and you would be correct. So here we go…"It's not hurting them as much as 1 years of horrible passing game/below average total offense that is showing signs of getting worse(not sure how when all we've had is a Spring game to see)". Two years ago the offense was good enough to finish ranked #4 in the country. That's not the ultimate goal but far from what you've described. And the year before that, the offense somehow managed to score 74 points in one of the most epic games in the history of college football..but good try!
oldschool87
AG
5* recruits don't commit early…. They commit on tv on signing day.

Every year we go thru this!

Basketball attendance in late December and early January will be terrible…
rootube
AG
No. What's slowing us down is that Miami, ND, Oregon, LSU, and OU now have established coaches doing work. We knocked it out of the park last year but we also got some help with the chaotic coaching changes at some of the top programs.
Rule#2
AG
For what it's worth we do have a new Director of Player Personnel
DuckySams
When the dust settles, we'll have another elite class.

Still, I wonder:
1-are schools using negative recruiting against us for NIL and last year's class? and;
2-Are we slowing down our NIL efforts due to the negative reactions we got from other fans/schools?
StinkyPinky
AG
Yes. Our recruiting pattern/history tells us this is probably par for the course. But it is a fair question. Last year recruiting year wasn't the norm, clearly a unique situation with very high profile attention which isn't the norm. Not unreasonable to question the unintended consequences. It's easy to become complacent.
Sq 17
rootube said:

No. What's slowing us down is that Miami, ND, Oregon, LSU, and OU now have established coaches doing work. We knocked it out of the park last year but we also got some help with the chaotic coaching changes at some of the top programs.

This x1000 last year Bama , UGa, & tOSU got classes that were comparable to how they had been recruiting for the last 5 years
Add tu,USCw, UF to the list that is 8 programs that if they each get one more 4/5* guy. The Ags class is still very good but not once in a generation good
Z Team
AG
How low does A&M need to be ranked before we acknowledge something may have shifted. We are about to drop out of the top 60. This is way out of the normal pattern for A&M forever.

Did something change, or are we just fishing for whales only and they take longer to land.
Not worried about Jimbo and company until they don't deliver. Until then you know that you just need to give 'em room to reel them in. But did something change after last year.
oldschool87
AG
Bama is 16…
OU is 42
Georgia is 12
Auburn is 64

We have 5 recruits, tu has 18…

Relax people, it's July 1st.
beerad12man
AG
Some of you jumped on the OP real quick, but even looch basically confirmed this.

Yes, others negatively recruiting us, talking about our nil deals, etc, did slow us down. I also think we were intentionally going slow with ourselves, but the nil rumors last year have definitely slowed us down with many guys, along with the same teams accusing us doing it even more blatantly this year .

Now we get to see how we respond, and I believe July/august will start to show where this class will trend. Will it trend to being very good, or elite?
beerad12man
AG
fieldtrailer said:

We just picked up a five star qb and 2 five star wrs 6 months ago. Didn't hurt us with them. Showing signs of slowing down more? Not even close. Not with the personnel we are bringing in. That's easy to argue that things are picking up with the 3 qbs we have on campus and how much hype weigman is getting for the future
beerad12man
AG
Z Team said:

How low does A&M need to be ranked before we acknowledge something may have shifted. We are about to drop out of the top 60. This is way out of the normal pattern for A&M forever.

Did something change, or are we just fishing for whales only and they take longer to land.
Not worried about Jimbo and company until they don't deliver. Until then you know that you just need to give 'em room to reel them in. But did something change after last year.

Part of it is definitely fishing for whales in a smaller class

We are taking 20-22 guys, and there's definitely a good portion of them we know aren't committing until November or later.

But some of it is nil, vs rumors about our nil last year and not matching up with this years recruit expectations, etc

I see us changing the trend very soon. Would expect to land a few in both July/august. If we still can't close on anyone, or only have 6-7 commits by the start of the season, it will definitely be head scratching. I bet we have 10-12 by then and see that the majority of our remaining 9-10 targets are all committing in December or all star games
Emilio Fantastico
AG
rootube said:

Who exactly are these 'established' coaches at ND, Oregon, and OU?
And the Miami coach just left Oregon. Was he not established last year when at Oregon?

Kelly at lsu is the only one that falls into that category.
Sq 17
Not sure if serious
The Miami coach got fired which was rumored to happen while recruiting was going on.
Miami got the Oregon coach to take the job which means he was also on the hot seat at Oregon.
Same thing happened at USC/OU
It is widely reported that OU lost some recruits to the Good guys when Riley left
Last year the 3 heavyweights (Bama, UGa, tOSU) got their usual portion of 4/5* talent
And the Ags got almost all the other talent that would have been divided among the other top 10 programs
J-Licious
AG
Rule#2 said:

Good point! Who was the person that left? I was interested to see how long Jumbo worked with him/her, that could have a big difference, could it not?
Emilio Fantastico
AG
I'm dead serious and you need to work on your reading comprehension.
What rootube said was we are having a harder time this year over last year because Miami, ND, ou, and Oregon now have established coaches. The only one of those with an established football coach THIS year is Miami and his going to Miami last year actually made it harder for Jimbo to pull in the likes of Shemar Stewart.

Our only benefit from the chaos last year was Brownlow-Dindy.

Now, had he said LSU instead of ND, it would make a lot more sense. But that's not what was posted.
beerad12man
AG
It isn't other schools having more established coaches.

It is the coordinated effort to throw A&M under the bus for last years NIL(overblown and overstated 10x), and now doing the same even more blatantly themselves. Now you have recruits expecting certain numbers, and A&M isn't matching their expectations from the lies they heard about the 2022 class. We will see what happens the next couple of months. We really do need to get some momentum back one way or another..
oldschool87 said:

Bama is 16…
OU is 42
Georgia is 12
Auburn is 64

Bama is now at 8
Georgia is now at 7
OU has a new coach/system, so who knows wtf is going on there

Auburn at 67 & A&M at 59 is a mystery.

Sq 17
Compared to their situation 6 months at signing day those programs have established coaches compared to no coach of coach just being hired.
The Ags capitalized on multiple programs being in disarray those programs are at least stable now
Rule#2
AG
J-Licious said:

Rule#2 said:

Good point! Who was the person that left? I was interested to see how long Jumbo worked with him/her, that could have a big difference, could it not?

I went down this road like 2 weeks ago so I've since forgotten. But I want to say the last guy we had was from Georgia and was here for a couple years and moved on to Oregon. I'm pretty sure he was behind facilitating that #1 overall class.

New guy has a few years experience at like Tennessee State? And then Indiana? Without taking a 10 sec google machine I'm going off my memory. Probably a lot of false info in the post.

Insert laugh/cry emoji
Aggie1188
33 said:

oldschool87 said:

Bama is 16…
OU is 42
Georgia is 12
Auburn is 64

Bama is now at 8
Georgia is now at 7
OU has a new coach/system, so who knows wtf is going on there

Auburn at 67 & A&M at 59 is a mystery.

get 2 more recruits, and we're in the Top 20.
Divining Rod
fieldtrailer said:

Our Offensive was 4th 6th and 4th in '18, '19, '20
umtil last years trouble after we lost our starting qb,
only deep threat wr, and had a makeshift OL.

Meanwhile our D was 9th 8th 3rd and 2nd in '18, '19, '20, '21.

Dont step off the ledge just yet.
85AustinAg
AG
Quote:

I've been on here a long time but this has got to be top 5 of the worst takes I've read on here.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.