Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The SEC wants Clemson, Florida State, UNC, Virginia

26,874 Views | 185 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by superunknown
TAMU bball fan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Per Brett McMurphy

Quote:

With the Big Ten's impending monster media rights deal, don't expect the SEC to stand pat.

"Even by adding Oklahoma and Texas, the SEC is not going to sit back and watch the Big Ten and let things happen," a source said.

The SEC would likely target current ACC schools, such as Clemson, Florida State, North Carolina or Virginia, sources said

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/usc-ucla-officially-join-big-ten-whats-next-for-notre-dame-sec-big-12?utm_source=article&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=brettmcmurphy
Frok
AG
Eventually we will just have the North Conference and South Conference
Bill Superman
AG
As long as they don't want Baylor or tech…
The Banned
This makes sense. You can't let the B1G go to 20 and wait around doing nothing. Wish it was Va Tech instead of UVA though.
bv86ag
AG
G5 schools going to have to consider a giant single conference.
Or at least something like a AAC, Conference USA, and Sunbelt merger.
With MAC and Mountain West either merging or going it alone.
No matter what...this will not be easy for the G5.
TAMU bball fan
It's interesting reading the ACC message boards, they all seem to prefer the Big10. To them it's the premier conference, both financially and with AAU prestige.

I hope the SEC doesn't have to settle for Big 12 leftovers (OK State), which Brett's source suggests might happen. In that scenario the Big10 has won.
TAMU bball fan
The Banned said:

This makes sense. You can't let the B1G go to 20 and wait around doing nothing. Wish it was Va Tech instead of UVA though.

Nope, UVA is the prize.
deadbq03
AG
Frok said:

Eventually we will just have the North Conference and South Conference
A.k.a the FOX conference and the ESPN conference.
Al Bula
AG
So how long until we can do away with this sham of associating these sports with American universities?
The Banned
I know it is. Just really like the people at Va Tech. But at this point it's a positioning war and you've got to take the best financial partners
Timberwolf
AG
University of Miami over UVA imo would be better suited.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
UNC and UVA are the more prestigious schools.

However, VT, NCSU, Clemson and FSU fit better in the SEC.
maver1ck
AG
TAMU bball fan said:

The Banned said:

Nope, UVA is the prize.

I get that UVA is the more prestigious school

But dang VT would be a fantastic fit culturally. That football stadium rocks
Sterling82
What difference does it make whether you have 16 or 20 teams in a conference? Either number seems like too many to me.
GoldenGun00
AG
The SEC would already have the two biggest prizes in Florida without Miami. Miami's main value would be blocking the Big 10, as the program itself is mediocre. No one under 25 remembers Miami being really good ('83-'03), and their fan support is poor.

Virginia is a large and wide open market for both the SEC and the Big 10. Tech has had more football success in recent history (mostly '95-'11), but UVA is the more prestigious university and likely the only one the Big 10 would consider. So, if you want to lay claim to that territory, you go with UVA. I wouldn't mind Tech, though, and I suspect UVA would choose the Big 10.

UNC could go either way. Their administration would probably prefer the Big 10, but their fans tend to lean SEC if given the choice.
moldaggie
True, UVA is more prestigious. That said, VA Tech ain't no slouch.
Houstonag
AG
I disagree with the need to keep adding teams to reach a larger number. SEC needs to add the right teams that have the money and reputation to compete. This is why Vanderbilt and Missouri should not be in the SEC. Of course that is not going to change.
20ag07
Quote:

Nope, UVA is the prize.
"Prestige" and even cultural fit, are a thing of the past. Vaporized. Va Tech fans watch more football, and pay more money to do so, than UVA fans. And the assumptions of what fans of a school are willing to spend on football is driving everything.
BuenAg
There's no such thing as "fit" in a mega conference.
NyAggie
AG
At this point it's getting absurd

One league adds schools so now the other has to.

When all is said and done, everyone is going to look back years from now at the smoldering heap
That was once college football and say what the hell have we done?

maver1ck
AG
Houstonag said:

I disagree with the need to keep adding teams to reach a larger number. SEC needs to add the right teams that have the money and reputation to compete. This is why Vanderbilt and Missouri should not be in the SEC. Of course that is not going to change.

Vandy is the best academic school in the league and brings the conference a baseball championship every other year
Texmexag
AG
With the addition of UCLA and USC the B10 media rights will produce more revenue for their schools than the SEC. Wouldn't surprise me if the my come after SEC schools. This doesn't end in 2 super conferences this ends in 1 super conference and the B10 is winning. If they get Norte Dame ( they will get them) look for them to come after a Texas, Florida, or North Carolina school next. Checkmate
20ag07
Quote:

Vandy is the best academic school in the league and brings the conference a baseball championship every other year
And no one making any decisions right now, cares about academics or baseball.

And also, you're kidding yourself if you thought they did the last couple rounds. Maybe in like the 80s.

Stanford/Cal/Tech/Baylor could all be in a league tomorrow. And are probably currently talking about it.

And there's a greater than 0% chance that ESPN and Sankey are running numbers and talking to lawyers about dumping Vandy this holiday Saturday morning.
TAMU bball fan
nbaker2022 said:

Houstonag said:

ESPN is driving the bus. If anyone is losing a seat at the table it's the Mississippi schools.
aggiehawg
AG
NyAggie said:

When all is said and done, everyone is going to look back years from now at the smoldering heap

And the mega conferences will break back up into smaller ones. Bigger is not always better.

No one watches USC nor UCLA now, not even in their home market. There is an assumption that by being in the B1G every game will garner the same attention level of a Rose Bowl.

It won't.
W
AG
NyAggie said:

this is true
20ag07
Quote:

And the mega conferences will break back up into smaller ones. Bigger is not always better.

No one watches USC nor UCLA now, not even in their home market. There is an assumption that by being in the B1G every game will garner the same attention level of a Rose Bowl.

It won't.
But you know what more people will watch, and pay money to watch? Michigan vs USC than Michigan vs Hawaii. Ohio St vs UCLA than Ohio St vs Toledo. Both latter things happening this year. Do the math.

Acting like USC doesn't have a market, cmon. It was not long ago at all that they were probably the 3rd biggest T-shirt school behind Notre Dame and Texas. The lack of wins moved that, but they just dumped a bunch of money. Which, we've considered the best strategy for forever now.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
Sterling82 said:

What difference does it make whether you have 16 or 20 teams in a conference? Either number seems like too many to me.

Agreed. All of this conference stuff going on is stupid. The SEC should have stayed at 14 and never started this crap. I almost hope this gets so out of control that college football just implodes and they have to start over.
amercer
AG
Let's get to 32 teams. Then we could break it into smaller groups of 8 that we could call, I don't know, conferences? We could do it regionally so there would be a southwest one, a southeast one and maybe an Atlantic coast one? Seems like that would be a good setup….
20ag07
Quote:

Agreed. All of this conference stuff going on is stupid. The SEC should have stayed at 14 and never started this crap. I almost hope this gets so out of control that college football just implodes and they have to start over.
I can guarantee you that you wouldn't really like the "start over". All that would be was the top schools, with zero deadweight. It still would never be regional rivalries.

And by "started this crap", do you include adding us in 2011, which lead to a lot of today, or is that "different"?
Hubert J. Farnsworth
20ag07 said:

Quote:

I can guarantee you that you wouldn't really like the "start over". All that would be was the top schools, with zero deadweight. It still would never be regional rivalries.

You're right. I just hate what's happening right now and I'm still pissed at Sankey.
AG
nbaker2022 said:

TAMU bball fan said:

The Banned said:

Nope, UVA is the prize.

I get that UVA is the more prestigious school

But dang VT would be a fantastic fit culturally. That football stadium rocks

Yep. And adding UVA would be adding another Vanderbilt to the conference.
20ag07
Quote:

I just hate what's happening right now and I'm still pissed at Sankey.
And you should get over that, because now it should be obvious that quick back room deals aren't a unique or a personal assault to us. Sankey's schools, Kevin Warren's schools, all of them, are saying "go get me the most money you can right now", every day. That's the job. It should now be obvious it ain't actually a soap opera to be pissy about.
Ag of Northern Virginia
We already have UVA in the SEC. They call themselves Missouri but with tu's arrogance and SJW politics that would make tu and Mizzou blush.

Give me VT anyday of the week. They truly are the A&M of the east.
Showstopper
AG
I have an idea: What if we take the eastern schools in the SEC and make a conference called the Southeast Conference and the western schools into a Southwest Conference. Then take the Big 10 schools along the coast could be the Atlantic Coast Conference and the Midwest schools could just keep the Big 10 conference moniker. Take any remaining central schools, should be about eight or so, make a Big Eight conference, and then take the best 8-10 schools in the Pacific or Mountain time zone and make a Pac 8 or Pac 10 conference.

Just an idea, take it for what it's worth.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.