Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Super Conferences and 3-9 Schedule

1,081 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by GoldenGun00
TnAg23
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If super conferences actually do happen, and the regular season in college football remains at 12 games, I think non-conference games will be a thing of the past. I see 2-3 separate leagues with an integrated playoff with auto bids.

To be clear, I'm not saying if this is a good or a bad thing.

If super conferences come to fruition, I think a 3-9 schedule may be in store. 3 permanent rivals with 9 rotating games. That would mean playing everyone in a 22-team league every other year.

The SEC could add FSU, Miami, Clemson, UNC, Virginia, and Duke.
The Big10 could add Notre Dame, Louisville, Virginia Tech, Oregon, Washington, and Stanford.

The SEC represents the South's elites and the Big10 represents the Midwest, North, and West's elites.

The Big12 could cherry-pick the remainder of the Pac12 and ACC to form a national conference, with many good teams, but no elite ones. (Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Cal, Wake Forrest, Georgia Tech, NC State)
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
In a 22-team conference, I can see either 3-6-6-6 or 3-9-9. In the former model, we would play everyone once every 3 years, and the other SEC teams would come to Kyle Field once every 6 years. In the later model, all 12 regular season games would be conference games. That would mean playing everyone once every 2 years, and the other SEC teams would come to Kyle Field once every 4 years. I think a 9-game conference of 3-6-6 schedule is more likely, but the SEC teams can't even decide on moving forward with the 1-7-7 or 3-6-6 model.
GoldenGun00
AG
I don't see the Big 10 taking Louisville or Virginia Tech. If they go to 22 or even 24, I'd bet the additional schools come from Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal, Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, Georgia Tech, and Miami. Each of those has a reasonable case. Max value would be something like Washington, Oregon, Stanford, Notre Dame, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, and Miami. Those add strong universities and a lot of major media markets, and that locks down the West Coast and gives solid exposure in the South.

Really, the only way to improve their footprint from there in terms of recruiting grounds and growing populations would be to get into Texas, too, but I don't see that happening unless Texas decides the Big 10 with USC and Notre Dame is sexier than the SEC and backs out. It probably would be a better cultural fit, and I bet they'd have gone that way if they'd seen this coming.

I think FSU and Clemson are locks for the SEC. It's just a matter of time. North Carolina, Virginia (or Tech), and Miami will also be tempting.

I hope the SEC stops at 20 and does a 1+9 schedule for football, 19-game round robin for basketball, and 37-game conference schedule for baseball (2 divisions, with 9 weekend series against your division and 10 midweek games against the other division). They also need to get rid of the double bye in the basketball tournament and start letting everyone into the baseball tournament (make it single elimination).
greg.w.h
AG
Sankey doesn't know what he's doing. So expect nothing strategic to happen. Reacting is bad.
aggiehawg
AG
greg.w.h said:

Sankey doesn't know what he's doing. So expect nothing strategic to happen. Reacting is bad.
Uhm? Sankey's move was last year with sips and sooners. Today is the B1G's response to that move.
greg.w.h
AG
aggiehawg said:

greg.w.h said:

Uhm? Sankey's move was last year with sips and sooners. Today is the B1G's response to that move.
He worked on 12 team playoff but failed at selling it. He mentioned an SEC-only playoff the create leverage and instead in essence devalued the other conferences by putting them into a fear response through both the Texas/OU acquisition while pimping a playoff expansion then doubling down in being the powerful, smart guy in the room. The Big Ten likely will make more per school in the current contract just like CBS didn't budge after adding A&M and Mizzou which he had some significant part in.

Meh.
GoldenGun00
AG
I'd bet on Sankey getting ahead of the Big 10's southern aggression unless he wants them to blow up the ACC grant of rights first. I have a hard time seeing Notre Dame in the SEC, so the two best blocking moves are UNC (by far) and maybe UVA. The Big 10 wouldn't want VA Tech and would see Duke as an acceptable consolation prize, but it's one with no football value. Georgia Tech has little value to the SEC, so the best block there is to take Clemson and lock down all the football schools close to Atlanta. FSU is probably the top SEC choice for Florida, and I see Miami listed a lot for the SEC but wonder if a has-been program with poor fan support might not be more tempting to the Big 10. Miami would be a bad fit in the SEC, but that may be offset by the value of the name, recruiting grounds, and blocking the Big 10.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.