Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Does it make sense for the SEC to expand nationally?

4,620 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 20ag07
Mac94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If the BIG is going coast to coast is it in the SECs (or maybe ESPNs) interest to do the same? Should the conference jump on the idea of picking up some left coast schools ... say Oregon, Washington, Utah, Arizona?

Are the ideas of culture and regionality now relics of the past? If we're going to two super conferences ala the AFC/NFC or AL/NL type models should the SEC (read ESPN) be proactive to counter the national expansion of the BIG (did I misspell Fox)? It seems most folks are focusing on Clemson or the Carolina schools but those are already in the SEC region. Maybe it's time to "go west, young man?"

Thoughts?
ChemEAg08
AG
Only if picking up culturally aligned, good (or atleast a lot of eyeballs and investing in) football teams.
Ferg
Maybe to Arizona, but the only California based team that would fit in is the 1st US Marine Division.
Alpha Texan
AG
I guess the 4 things that I will measure a school by are brand, ability to win, money, and culture. I would like to add schools that will fit into the top half of our conference in at least 2 of those things. And if it pisses off another SEC school, those are just bonus points.

FSU, Miami, and Clemson are the first 3 that really jump out to me. I wouldn't mind OK State, and all 3 of the North Carolinas would be alright with me because of what they can bring in basketball and I think NC State has untapped potential in football. Virginia Tech would have me attention.
Madman
AG
Expand maybe, coast to coast no.

TV time slots will make some portion of the BIG unhappy every week. I don't think the Cal schools are going to be happy with the move when recruits still opt for the BIG but not them. Cal players will just leave the state and go to the SEC, BIG traditional powers, or similar, not the Cal schools.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I can understand the SEC adding Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and Arizona State, but I think it would make more sense for the Big 12 to add these 4 Pac-12 schools. Because Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, and South Carolina already play Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, and Clemson respectively during rivalry week, I think the SEC should add these 4 ACC schools.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
I think that a day of reckoning is coming.
These cross country expansions just seem logistically untenable. Football is driving all this but it is the least impacted by the travel due to the limited number of games.
The expense for travel for all the other sports will get to the point where it either eats up all the additional revenue generated by these expansions or those sports go away. Throw in all the budgetary drag that Title IX adds to the mix and it is easy to see why NCAA sports can't be viewed the same economically as professional leagues.

Everyone making these decisions seems to be missing that point.
wisdom
AG
Question ------> Does it make sense for the SEC to expand nationally?
no
Madman
AG
As already pointed out by others.

I wonder if the two California schools is just the first of several more to join the Big 10. That would at least lesson the burden on travel. Plenty of reasonable options for the Big to choose from.
AGinHI
AG
Yes.

Then we can have the SWC Division.
HossAg
AG
The big 10 will get Oregon and Washington, too. Our best bet is to just raid the ACC for their best teams. There's plenty to pick from there.
Jimbo4win
AG
Add Notre Dame and there will be no need to add a West Coast school. Notre Dame, Clemson, UNC and Duke would be massive pickups in football, basketball and ACADEMICS..
Emilio Fantastico
AG
But then why form a far flung conference if you are only going to play regionally amongst the members?

I mean sure there would be a few select inter-regional games within the conference but how is that any different from now with say the B1G and the PAC12?

That would be like if the SEC added a few more BDF schools and a few ACC schools and teams east of the Mississippi River played almost exclusively amongst themselves while teams west of the Mississippi did the same with a select few crossover games.

At some point, it just makes more sense to have two regional conferences.

The only model that MAY work for nationwide conferences would be a football division of a select few Goliath programs (probably less than 50). The reason I say MAY is because you never know what the appeal may be for that as you eliminate fan bases from the viewing mix.
Madman
AG
I see your point. The fear of letting somebody else have something valuable is making decisions I believe.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
no only expansion sec should entertain would be to add a fla st and a clemson.
aggdds79
AG
Can't poach ACC teams until 2036 with their grant of rights agreement. Too much penalty for anyone to leave unless the conference disbands. No BDF team adds $ to the SEC and SEC is not ND's 1st or even 2nd choice. BIG will be tops in revenue with their new TV $ unfortunately until something happens with the ACC.
HossAg
AG
aggdds79 said:

Can't poach ACC teams until 2036 with their grant of rights agreement. Too much penalty for anyone to leave unless the conference disbands. No BDF team adds $ to the SEC and SEC is not ND's 1st or even 2nd choice. BIG will be tops in revenue with their new TV $ unfortunately until something happens with the ACC.
If 50% of ACC teams agree to leave, that GOR agreement just gets dissolved. I could see that happening with how much money is at stake. Some of them will go big 12, some will go SEC, some will go Big 10. SEC takes 4, big 12 / big 10 take another 4 at minimum.
TMartin
HossAg said:

The big 10 will get Oregon and Washington, too. Our best bet is to just raid the ACC for their best teams. There's plenty to pick from there.

Having lived in Seattle and managed Oregon those schools culture are diametrically opposed to midwestern values. Should be interesting.
HossAg
AG
TMartin said:

HossAg said:

Having lived in Seattle and managed Oregon those schools culture are diametrically opposed to midwestern values. Should be interesting.
They're not diametrically opposed to fat stacks of cash and athletic relevancy, though.
Coryhub
Diluting the product of SEC by adding more…unless it's Clemson and Miami. It has gone from on field product that generated more revenue to now just revenue..
What a great conference matchup week 2 UCLA vs Rutgers. And USC vs Syracuse. Must watch Tv..!
Would the SEC gain anything with a Vandy - Arizona matchup..?
HossAg
AG
Florida State is way more valuable than Miami.
rootube
AG
Emilio Fantastico said:

I think that a day of reckoning is coming.
These cross country expansions just seem logistically untenable. Football is driving all this but it is the least impacted by the travel due to the limited number of games.
The expense for travel for all the other sports will get to the point where it either eats up all the additional revenue generated by these expansions or those sports go away. Throw in all the budgetary drag that Title IX adds to the mix and it is easy to see why NCAA sports can't be viewed the same economically as professional leagues.

Everyone making these decisions seems to be missing that point.

One of the California schools just released a statement something to the effect that we are about to be rich travel is not a concern. If West Virginia can afford to travel I'm sure the new B10 can find the budget.
aggie_sprt
Posted part of this in another thread.

If interested in playing the what if game, another measure that I think is less subjective when considering what schools might be attractive to add to the SEC is to look at the annual revenue of the program since that indicates a level of support and viewership as measured in dollars. Consequently you can take the program's revenue and add or subtract it from a conference to determine how much of a net gain or loss one program is compared to another, keeping in mind of course that part of that revenue is TV dollars that would increase or decrease depending on the circumstance.

Below is a link to a site that appears to have the most current revenue numbers (along with profit/loss) outside of USAToday (that list is behind a paywall).

College Athletic Departments Financial Database
rootube
AG
Madman said:

As already pointed out by others.

I wonder if the two California schools is just the first of several more to join the Big 10. That would at least lesson the burden on travel. Plenty of reasonable options for the Big to choose from.

The B10 released a statement that they weren't currently looking at further expansion. So not impossible but would be in a different timeline.
rootube
AG
HossAg said:

Not if measured by gold teeth.
Madman
AG
And that sounds like "There is no truth to me taking the HC job at that other school."
Ag Tag
rootube said:

HossAg said:

Not if measured by gold teeth.
LOL!
jja79
AG
I wonder how the 2 california schools are going to like tuesday 3pm basketball games.

Someone mentioned Arizona. It's a fabulous place but literally no one cares about college football. I spent 2 months there last fall and if you go to a sports bar you'll see some North Dakota State snow bird fans, Notre Dame fans and such. There's too many outdoor things going on at that time. It would make for 2 great away game destinations though.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
aggdds79 said:

Nope. We have a common TV partner.
sambaag
SEC should look for: one NC school (I prefer NC State, but UNC would be a helluva catch), one VA school (I prefer V Tech), one AZ school (ASU much preferable), and maybe FSU, since the panhandle is much different than the rest of FL. You could pull four good programs with a lot of eyeballs and still keep some geographical logic.
Look at the habitual masturbator! See how thin, pale and haggard he appears; how his eyes are sunken; how long and cadaverous is his cast of countenance; how irritable he is and how sluggish, mentally and physically; how afraid he is to meet the eye of his fellow, feel his damp and chilling hand, so characteristic of great vital exhaustion.” Dr Henry Guernsey, Plain Talks on Avoided Subjects (1882)
Bob Knights Paper Hands
1. Any new member being considered would have to increase the visibility and revenue for the existing members, not just for the conference as a whole. There aren't many reasonably available options left that can do that.

2. If we let everyone in the SEC, we water down the exclusivity of us being in the best conference.
20ag07
Quote:

Diluting the product of SEC by adding more…unless it's Clemson and Miami. It has gone from on field product that generated more revenue to now just revenue.
"It has gone?" Name the on-field product that got us into the league at the time?
Spaceball 1
AG
If they do that's our new schedule
Dr.Pepper7
AG
I only see the SEC expanding for the likes of some ACC teams.

SEC cares about $$ and looking at ACC fits theres FSU, Clemson which are obvious then Louisville and Miami make sense
wkahornet
AG
Nationally? No

Regionally? Sure

Add UNC, Va Tech, Clemson, and FSU and call it a day
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.