Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Do-over for Big 12…

9,681 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 20ag07
bv86ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think it's obvious that Oregon and UW are going to the B1G.
And what's left over of th Pac will join the Big 12.
The interesting thing to watch will be what happens to the ACC and what does Notre Dame do?
If i were Swarbrick i get out of the ACC obligations entirely and join the B1G.
Makes sense regionally and with USC joining.
Edit: and if all this happens....the SEC will raid the ACC or merge with them.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

UCLA by definition is a commuter school

What's the definition?
The Lost
Houstonag said:

What is left of the so called Big 12 needs to merge with the remaining PAC 12 plus add Houston.

Vanderbilt and Missouri need to get out of SEC and SEC needs to add Ga. Tech , Clemson, Fla St.

Lol mizzou adds more value than arky, the missippi schools and usce.

This is dumb.
Scientific
AG
That's a good question. As I've always understood, a large school in a large city where a percentage of the students live from home and "commute" to school. My cousin graduated from UCLA, is from Los Angeles. He never lived on campus. That was 15 years ago.
TX_COWDOC
AG
Lake08 said:

Bet they wish they had those 4 invites back. Could have easily had the zona schools. Would have been a viable conference

Burpelson
Big 12 is in a very good position, Colorado, Zona schools, utes fit perfectly, the markets that big 12 have Houston, Cincinnati, bring significant leverage to new TV dealings especially if they land those pac schools
PascalsWager
AG
Scientific said:

That's a good question. As I've always understood, a large school in a large city where a percentage of the students live from home and "commute" to school. My cousin graduated from UCLA, is from Los Angeles. He never lived on campus. That was 15 years ago.

It's very hard to get good numbers on this topic. But I'm defining commuters as people who live in their parents house while attending college. Basically continuing high school life. They look at college as nothing more than accreditation manufacturing plant. That's why in my mind the average non Tillman Fertitta UofH grad has as much pride as the average DeVry grad.

I'd argue a good measure is the percentage of freshman who live on campus. Because most universities encourage and create housing for their first years to get integrated into campus life.

UCLA HAS 98% of their freshman living on campus. https://www.ucla.edu/campus-life

Cougar High has 44%. https://www.campusreel.org/colleges/university-of-houston/dorms

I'll let you decide which is the commuter school.
Burpelson
Ucla students really do not give a damn about ucla sports, numbers are not good
aggiehawg
AG
Burpelson said:

Neither do their alumni.
Buck Turgidson
Burpelson said:

Big 12 is in a very good position, Colorado, Zona schools, utes fit perfectly, the markets that big 12 have Houston, Cincinnati, bring significant leverage to new TV dealings especially if they land those pac schools
They don't really "have" Houston after the sips leave and nobody gives a damn about Cincy in Ohio. A&M and Texas carry the Houston market. Ohio State carries Cincinnati.
Buck Turgidson
Burpelson said:

Yes, UCLA is a real college that happens to be in an urban setting. Not all urban schools are commuter schools. UCLA is an aspirational school for a large number of California's better students.

UH is a second chance school for a large number of people who screwed up the first time around, or people who just couldn't or wouldn't do the traditional residential college experience somewhere. Several people I know who partied their way out of A&M or tu finished their degrees at UH. The student newspaper once even ran an editorial complaining about the number of students there wearing gear from other colleges.

The full time, on campus 18-21 year old student body has not really been the ideal demographic to support a big athletic department. They have produced too few big money alums and even fewer alums who would pay for season tickets, luxury suites, etc.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Some insight on UCLA:

The core of football die-heads is not that big. However, they have a huge group of fair weathered fans. When football is up, they show up and/or will watch.
strakerak
Coog here, coming in some passive aggressive peace.

For all the graduates here, how many of y'all lived on Campus, or in an apartment near Campus and drove? A frat house, group living, etc?

If you were not on campus, you were a commuter.

--------

It's pretty freakin stupid to devalue the educational and subsequently the overall value of a school because of students who cannot necessarily afford to live on campus, or simply just do not want to.

This doesn't mean high school life is repeated. I commuted my entire undergrad and moved to a cheap apartment (since student apartments are expensive here) the same distance away from campus. I'm still considered a commuter whether I'm five minutes away or 50 minutes away. My college experience was just like that of a tsip or Aggie. There are plenty of students who show up to on campus events, athletics (our tickets are completely free and sell out fairly quickly, with basketball going out in just minutes sometimes), nightlife, etc. It's all still there.

Some don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a piece of paper and move three hours away when the educational value is the same or better (this is interchangeable between majors and colleges of TAMU/UH/TU). Heck, we had more money for alcohol in the end

This doesn't take away the school pride that happens during their time, or for those who are able to work a job and come back with season tickets, afterwards.

Houston was about to have a mandatory freshman housing mandate. Until it got blocked by some govt official out in the cow pasture land. Nobody wants to have to pay more money than they already do for education, is just the primary reason. Those students could have claimed exemption though.

Also, the number of on campus beds is second in the state behind y'all. With new dorms being built, we'll be passing that soon (but it should take a few years since we're about 2000 behind).

That being said, with those dorms and our student apartments, we have about 15k living on/near campus. Another 15kish within 10 minutes in apartments a bit further away (Midtown/Downtown/Heights/Montrose/Texas Med Center/3rd Ward), and the rest (20k) living further from that.

Commuting is just a way to get to class. Nothing else. If living on campus and going for college experience really is a thing, then enjoy the six figures of debt. Pride doesn't always have to lie in sports.

And Buck, a lot of the stuff you mentioned were notes/articles from 10-15 years ago. Probably only twice a semester do I see someone wearing a shirt from another University, and it's usually someone who had a degree from there. Any other school in Texas and they were kicked out of class.

Also, if y'all really don't believe that Houston should be in anything big time so y'all won't lose the recruits or have people want to come here over your overpriced sheep brothel, pucker up and play us in a major sport.

I've seen many students from my high school deeply engrained, living and breathing Aggie culture and lifestyle. Upon their arrival at TAMU, they're out within a year or two because that's all it was. Some just wanted to get their degree and got a little sick of it. It's puzzling sometimes, but happens. A good amount transferred out to Houston after 25x25/ETAM in Engineering, when the advising building got torn down for the hotel, and when an athletics renovation was approved every year costing hundreds of millions of dollars while shafting the students in the end.

--------

All rant/rivalry/jabbing aside, I'm looking forward to seeing what the B12 does. Heck, if the SEC opens up for another Texas school and takes Houston, the entire state would dominate the market and cause a ruckus. I don't believe there would be a risk to losing recruits, people would just want to play where their heart lies. TU/TAMU are still dream schools for some players. Houston for some and just a best fit situation.

Great run in the CWS. What y'all do for NIL is concerning yet impressive. I have deep respect for TAMU as an institution, and I can't say the same for the cow pasture out west.
bryanw1995
AG
I have no beef with uh, or tu for that matter. But living on campus isn't the same thing as having your life revolve almost solely around campus.

I lived on campus (in the corps) for 4 yrs, lived 5th year across the street from campus. Until my 5th year I mostly just left campus for bonfire cuts, football road trips, or to see my gf. And the gf lived by Olsen. I spent large parts of several spring semesters (including my 5th after I was out of the corps) without going more than a stone's throw from campus. It was engrossing, fun, challenging, life altering. I knew many others who weren't in the corps, boys and girls, with a similarly campus-focused existence.

Something like that is, I think, what most think of when they talk about a commuter vs non-commuter school. If your experience at UH was like that, then perhaps it has significantly changed for the better since my time. My brother in law went to UH in the mid 90's, he lived off campus and supports A&M.
strakerak
Oh yeah, compared to the 90s, heck even when I was starting high school, it's significantly changed for the better on all aspects. Student Life being one of them. With the pending B12 move it's probably going to be even more competitive
BMX Bandit
your experience at A&M is probably what less than 5% of undergraduates experience.
JBGoode
AG
Far too many memories of playing in the Astrodome, 3 cougar fans in the crowd, and some obnoxious, loud arse siren in the end zone to substitute for not having fans.

The whole environment just screamed commuter school.
PascalsWager
AG
strakerak said:

Coog here, coming in some passive aggressive peace.

For all the graduates here, how many of y'all lived on Campus, or in an apartment near Campus and drove? A frat house, group living, etc?

If you were not on campus, you were a commuter.

--------

It's pretty freakin stupid to devalue the educational and subsequently the overall value of a school because of students who cannot necessarily afford to live on campus, or simply just do not want to.

This doesn't mean high school life is repeated. I commuted my entire undergrad and moved to a cheap apartment (since student apartments are expensive here) the same distance away from campus. I'm still considered a commuter whether I'm five minutes away or 50 minutes away. My college experience was just like that of a tsip or Aggie. There are plenty of students who show up to on campus events, athletics (our tickets are completely free and sell out fairly quickly, with basketball going out in just minutes sometimes), nightlife, etc. It's all still there.

Some don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a piece of paper and move three hours away when the educational value is the same or better (this is interchangeable between majors and colleges of TAMU/UH/TU). Heck, we had more money for alcohol in the end

This doesn't take away the school pride that happens during their time, or for those who are able to work a job and come back with season tickets, afterwards.

Houston was about to have a mandatory freshman housing mandate. Until it got blocked by some govt official out in the cow pasture land. Nobody wants to have to pay more money than they already do for education, is just the primary reason. Those students could have claimed exemption though.

Also, the number of on campus beds is second in the state behind y'all. With new dorms being built, we'll be passing that soon (but it should take a few years since we're about 2000 behind).

That being said, with those dorms and our student apartments, we have about 15k living on/near campus. Another 15kish within 10 minutes in apartments a bit further away (Midtown/Downtown/Heights/Montrose/Texas Med Center/3rd Ward), and the rest (20k) living further from that.

Commuting is just a way to get to class. Nothing else. If living on campus and going for college experience really is a thing, then enjoy the six figures of debt. Pride doesn't always have to lie in sports.

And Buck, a lot of the stuff you mentioned were notes/articles from 10-15 years ago. Probably only twice a semester do I see someone wearing a shirt from another University, and it's usually someone who had a degree from there. Any other school in Texas and they were kicked out of class.

Also, if y'all really don't believe that Houston should be in anything big time so y'all won't lose the recruits or have people want to come here over your overpriced sheep brothel, pucker up and play us in a major sport.

I've seen many students from my high school deeply engrained, living and breathing Aggie culture and lifestyle. Upon their arrival at TAMU, they're out within a year or two because that's all it was. Some just wanted to get their degree and got a little sick of it. It's puzzling sometimes, but happens. A good amount transferred out to Houston after 25x25/ETAM in Engineering, when the advising building got torn down for the hotel, and when an athletics renovation was approved every year costing hundreds of millions of dollars while shafting the students in the end.

--------

All rant/rivalry/jabbing aside, I'm looking forward to seeing what the B12 does. Heck, if the SEC opens up for another Texas school and takes Houston, the entire state would dominate the market and cause a ruckus. I don't believe there would be a risk to losing recruits, people would just want to play where their heart lies. TU/TAMU are still dream schools for some players. Houston for some and just a best fit situation.

Great run in the CWS. What y'all do for NIL is concerning yet impressive. I have deep respect for TAMU as an institution, and I can't say the same for the cow pasture out west.
You have less than 500k total fans who care. For context that's at least 300k less than every single Pac whatever school. This is your peak capacity with good football team and excellent basketball team AND luxury tax avoiding miserly NBA owner Tillman somehow giving you a blank check. If you were going 6-6 and playing in the NIT you'd have significantly less than that. This is with massive undergraduate population.

While you may enjoy it and know others who do, the Cougars don't make a blip. No one is going to play you because you have haughty attitude demanding home and homes with free tickets (your words) in empty baby stadium. And in whatever 2nd tier conference you end up in, you're going to be football floormat team because you'll be going against real state universities not other commuter city colleges.

But, maybe I'm just being overly harsh because I know dozens of UofH grads (after 2010 grads) who don't even know the team is in the final 4. For all the trash I can talk, you've had more recent success in one of the two major sports than we've had. Enjoy the ride.

link
aezmvp
Serious question: how pissed is Phil Knight?
rootube
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Some insight on UCLA:

The core of football die-heads is not that big. However, they have a huge group of fair weathered fans. When football is up, they show up and/or will watch.

There is a rumor the B10 wanted USC and ND but when ND balked they chose UCLA as the next best option and I'm sure they did due diligence. Of course they added Rutgers so who the hell knows.
bryanw1995
AG
rootube said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Some insight on UCLA:

There is a rumor the B10 wanted USC and ND but when ND balked they chose UCLA as the next best option and I'm sure they did due diligence. Of course they added Rutgers so who the hell knows.
Rutgers is like the ultimate "right place, right time" school in college football.
JBGoode
AG
bryanw1995 said:

Rutgers is like the ultimate "right place, right time" school in college football.

Vandy was in the right place in 1933. I bet none of them lived to see what they had bumbled into.
Ag Tag
Quote:

I would imagine that almost everyone knows, but just in case there someone here who doesn't, Rutgers is the original birthplace of football.
bryanw1995
AG
You see, lightning can strike twice in the same spot!
20ag07
Quote:

Serious question: how pissed is Phil Knight?
Which just goes to show the stupidity, of the hundreds of posts on here, that said NIKE was driving anything.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.