Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Haha the Rose Bowl is now screwed

4,267 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by rootube
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of stuck up, self worshipping a-holes.

One of the auto-bids for the Rose Bowl is now one step down from the Mountain West. The "Grandaddy Of Them All" can now just be another game in the CFP rotation. They can no longer demand a prime time slot and no competition.

They now can be forced to take Central Michigan or Directional Florida every third year like all the other CFP bowls are forced to do.

Every other bowl has had to bend over backwards for decades to get the Rose Bowl to allow a CFP to happen. Now they can eat dirt.
Aggieair
Good.
Panama Red
AG
The Rose Bowl is still going to be one of the premier games when playoffs expand. You know that, right?
Aggieair
Panama Red said:

The Rose Bowl is still going to be one of the premier games when playoffs expand. You know that, right?
The irony is that the Rose Bowl was trying to stop playoff expansion or at least demand preferential treatment over all the other NY6 games in order to remain an New Year's Day game.

I'm pretty sure they're going to have to get in-line with all the other NY6 games, now that they lose a bargaining chip in that one of their conference affiliations was just bludgeoned over the back of the head today.
Panama Red
AG
Conference affiliation to bowl isn't going to matter for the new expanded playoff.
Aggieair
Panama Red said:

Conference affiliation to bowl isn't going to matter for the new expanded playoff.
It mattered in the BCS and 4 team CFP, because when those were formed, the elite bowls had more bargaining power and could threaten to be "independent" if need be, because they could offer the Pac-12 and B1G a better payout and promotion than a fledgling BCS or CFP could without the Rose Bowl.

Basically, the Rose Bowl was always able to threaten the equivalent of what Sankey did with a "SEC-only playoff". The Rose Bowl could always tout itself as the Pac-12 vs B1G playoff. Now all the Rose Bowl can offer the B1G as opposed to the CFP is playing the best the MWC 2.0 has to offer.

So yes, while there won't be conference affiliations, the Rose Bowl now needs the CFP more than the CFP needs the Rose Bowl.
Dallasag517
AG
i hope so!
Panama Red
AG
All that true.

Rose Bowl still going to be one of the playoff sites in a regular basis. The only change is it may not have its coveted start time on New Year's Day.
i is smart
AG
The most overrated venue in all of sports.
fulshearAg96
AG
Rose bowl aint going anywhere…
Windy City Ag
AG
Everyone loves the Rose Bowl. Ain't going nowhere no matter what your politics. Too many folks love heading to Cali in early January.
Iowaggie
AG
Unless it's part of a championship game rotation, no bowl have sure should be used in the playoffs
ColoradoMooseHerd
In the last 13 years, USC and UCLA played in exactly 1 Rose Bowl. I agree this will hurt from a image and power stand point but these two programs have not been that stellar. I expect Texas Tech and BYU to be on the table along with other possible options. They won't have the prestige but they still have options.
ccrdag
S
This was the first thing I thought of when the USC / UCLA news came out. But, But, But, we are the greatest bowl of all time!
rootube
AG
The Grandady of them all!!! *

* Except Southern California
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.