Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Would you support ND to SEC? (No inside info, just speculation)

4,170 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Chicken Ranch
rootube
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The only plan regarding ND I would support would be for their program to hit an iceberg and sink onto the ocean.
Showstopper
AG
If we could substitute them for Texas, yes.

Otherwise, not really, but also don't care much.
tex 93
AG
IrishAg2011 said:

Would y'all be open to the Irish joining the SEC?

If you want to increase the academic prestige of the SEC, and keep SEC football expansion on par with B1G, then adding Notre Dame is a no brainer. I don't think anything with ND is imminent. As long as they can be independent and still have access to the playoffs, I think they'll do so. But at some point, if that's in jeopardy and/or when the money from being in a conference becomes greater than independence, they'll make their move. Given the seismic shifts in American culture at large, I think they would now fit into the SEC culture better than many people realize.
Bryanisbest
AG
Yes!
fightintxaggie10
AG
ND should join the Big10 if they join a Conf don't you think OP? They have the annual game with USC already. It makes sense
aggiehawg
AG
fightintxaggie10 said:

ND should join the Big10 if they join a Conf don't you think OP? They have the annual game with USC already. It makes sense
They also had traditional games with Purdue, Michigan, Northwestern and Michigan State.
IrishAg2011
AG
aggiehawg said:

fightintxaggie10 said:

They also had traditional games with Purdue, Michigan, Northwestern and Michigan State.
Yes, everyone has told Notre Dame for at least 30 years that they should capitulate and join the Big 10. But the Big 10 is a suckhole that had its schools blacklist Notre Dame for years, and even when the money to be made became apparent treated Notre Dame as a lesser-than. I'd rather Notre Dame be in a conference where the members view each other with some modicum of respect.

By the way - there is no traditional game with Northwestern - even though they are our 7th most played team, we've played them twice in the past 25 years. We have a debt of honor to Navy, a rivalry with USC, and a legacy of hatred with Michigan. As long as we could do non-conference games against Navy and USC, I think we'd be fine.
IrishAg2011
AG
(By the way - I'm not sure that any school in the Big 10 would even understand the concept of a "debt of honor" - but I know that at the very least, Aggies do.)
Houstonag
AG
I do not give a darn about N D. I know their history and that is fine. More recently, like past 30 years, I think they are just like a spoiled kid and want things to go their way. I think the SEC is already too big especially with the sips and land thieves headed there too. The schedule needs to be rotated such that over a 4 year cycle everybody needs to play each other. Conference championship needs to be eliminated or decided on strength of scheduled. Bowl championship needs to be expanded to at least 8 teams.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Conference championship needs to be eliminated or decided on strength of scheduled.
What? CCGs are very very lucrative for the conference. And who gets to say what is "strength of schedule"? A computer after the season? Because pre-season rankings are trash and just wish casting.

The main reason Bear Bryant won the SEC so often was that each school managed their schedules. Brant played more actual SEC members than other SEC teams did, so Bama "won" with more conference wins.

We had a system with divisions and CCGs that worked, maybe not perfectly every year but it was understandable for everyone. Settled on the field as it should be.
LincolnBorglum79
AG
As much as I dislike this, I think we are probably headed to 4 16-20 team conferences with a 16 team playoff involving only those 4. If you play 10 conference games or even 12, then the sweet 16 will involve the top 3 from each conference plus 4 wild cards selected from the rest. This could simply be NFL Light with only 2 big conferences North/West and SEC. With all conference games and an NFL style playoff.
aggiehawg
AG
LincolnBorglum79 said:

As much as I dislike this, I think we are probably headed to 4 16-20 team conferences with a 16 team playoff involving only those 4. If you play 10 conference games or even 12, then the sweet 16 will involve the top 3 from each conference plus 4 wild cards selected from the rest. This could simply be NFL Light with only 2 big conferences North/West and SEC. With all conference games and an NFL style playoff.
You are being overly optimistic, in my view.
C2 Ag 93
IrishAg2011 said:

As a Domer and an Aggie (a graduate of both), I see the writing on the wall here. USC and UCLA to the B1G will force ND to join a conference. While the B1G makes sense both regionally and preserving the USC rivalry, the historic black-balling of the Irish by the B1G (due to anti-Catholic and anti-immigrant bigotry) makes me say - screw them I'd rather see the Irish in the SEC.

Would y'all be open to the Irish joining the SEC?

Absolutely not. Bad enough we already have some self-grandiose ****heads coming to the conference in a couple years....
jrgypsum
ND a better academic fit in Big 10

TexAggie1999
SEC would absolutely take Notre Dame. They are too big of a brand and bring too much money to the table.

However, Notre Dame is not going to want to go to the SEC. They would go to the Big 10 which is a better fit geogyaphically, culturally, and academically.
WoodlandsGigEm
Absolutely. Bring it on. They aren't any tougher to play than Auburn or ole miss when they are good.
Plus they would spend a lot of time going 8-4 or worse. Be good for them to be knocked down a few notches in the eyes of the nation.
yeshellyes
AG
agnerd said:

Sq 17 said:

Can we throw out USCe or possibly both the MS schools
Now you're thinking like a t-sip. Can't kick them out, but you can take the best teams and form a "new" conference. I've been saying from the beginning that t.u. will at least try it in the future.

They're probably already working on it in secret as usual.
S.A. Aggie
AG
No
The Chicken Ranch
AG
No.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.