Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Here's why Super Conferences are a death -knell for College FB…

6,589 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BMX Bandit
20ag07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Totally agree. Problem is cupcake games have been increasing. We gave 3-4 who gives a crap games a year.
And that's what every move over the past 12 months, and the ones that will happen behind them, have been designed to eliminate.
aglaes
AG
20ag07 said:

What NOBODY wants to see is cupcake games. Only the hardcore fans pay attention to that.

What season ticket holders don't want, is cupcake games.

The more marquee games, the better.

You, me, and T-shirt fan Joe are gonna watch A&M/Texas in November if we're both sitting at 7-4. Nobody wants to watch us play UMass on Nov (or any other month) even if we're 11-0.
I agree with that. I was thinking of getting season tickets again this year - 7 home games, but 3 are 1) Sam Houston, 2) App St (I know their record of upsets) and 3) U Mass. So for my season ticket purchase of around $2,500 - $3,000 for 2 tickets I get 4 decent games 1) Miami, 2) Ole MIss, 3) Florida & 4) LSU.

Of course, when they eliminate the cupcakes and we get 6 good games at Kyle every year, the ticket prices will jump as well - that's what this is all about anyway - more money.

Aggieair
The tOSU numbers vs Notre Dame numbers make sense when you look at their current media distributions. tOSU brings in over $50M a year, while also subsidizing lesser B1G programs.

Notre Dame currently only gets $15M a year from NBC, and only another $10M from the ACC as a partial member. Notre Dame is currently making less than what all Power 5 conferences are paying out. That's still impressive considering they're independent, but doesn't match up with what tOSU and tu (they get extra guaranteed money from ESPN for the LHN) make.

Furthermore, the B1G and SEC are currently paying out in the $50M's, while the ACC, PAC, and Big 12 are paying in the mid to low $30M's. The dropoff to the AAC, the next best, is staggering: roughly $7M. After that, the other conferences struggle to even hand out $1M per school.

The TV networks know what they're doing, and their payout distribution proportions match that data.
Oldfart2
Conchovalleyag said:

BDub3 said:

Huh, always thought it was death nail. You learn something every day.
Same....of course I always thought it was wheel barrel not wheel barrow

Wonder what other phrases I get wrong....
I could care less
bam02
AG
amercer said:

Super conferences will be the end of college football, because most college football fans don't support one of the top 20 schools. It will turn into college baseball on steroids. A small number of really passionate fans rooting for minor league teams while the rest of the country pays attention to the major league.

I don't know. I feel like this is a great point, but at the same time I have plenty of buddies that went to tech, baylor, etc that will watch a texas or sec game just as much as they'd watch their school.
AG
oldcrow91 said:

Conchovalleyag said:

BDub3 said:

Mrs old crow used to think Neal Diamond was singing about a "hot light"

Courtesy of my now grown son when he was 4 years old:

(Eagles - Take it to the Limit)

When you're looking for your freedom
And nobody seems to care
And you can't find the door
Can't find your underwear
AWP 97
AG
maroonthrunthru said:

1. Nobody wants to see a bunch of 8-4 or 9-3 teams…

In FB, you NEED the Vandys and Rice-s of the world….
Due to its physicality, FB requires a couple of patty-cakes during the season if you want to stay healthy, or recover…

Super Conferences with PHYSICAL teams every week will kill off all the good teams and make them ALL mediocre…

You also need Heroes and Villains to keep interest… You NEED Bama to be the big guy on the block… You NEED tOSU to be the "bad guy" in the Midwest…

Imagine a National Champ game where both sides are completely dinged up… Ecccchhhh !

The NFL is more physical and they play 17 games in 18 weeks with smaller rosters. College players can handle playing 12 P5 opponents every year.
greg.w.h
AG
Like Title IX was???
LesterHaze

Once we get to a 32 team playoff, nobody will care about conferences. Ole Miss just won the National Championship in baseball and they finished 8th in the SEC with a sub .500 conference record. In college basketball nobody cares about conferences once March Madness starts.
Hehateme1
Oldfart2 said:

Conchovalleyag said:

BDub3 said:

I could care less
Don't forget "escape goat"
LMCane
completely disagree with OP

would be a thousand times better to have Power 5 teams ONLY play other Power 5 teams with ONE game against FBS non-power 5 team

9 conference games, 3 out of conference rivalry games

NO MORE FCS games- they can play against non P5 teams

one national championship for the P5 conference, one national championship for the nonP5 conference
anaggieshusband
When we get to the point where the players are not enrolled in school, is it just minor-league pro ball ??
20ag07
Quote:

When we get to the point where the players are not enrolled in school, is it just minor-league pro ball ??
What year did players never going to class, and very often never graduating start? Is "enrollment" the technicality that our entire interest hinged on for literal decades?

No one has considered 90+% of football players "actual students" for decades. So do the specifics of actual enrollment even really change the product you've already been paying to watch?
texAZtea
AG
Hehateme1 said:

Oldfart2 said:

Conchovalleyag said:

BDub3 said:

I could care less
Or how it's a Chest of Drawers, not Chester's Droors.
K2Ag97
2) cupcake, not patti-cake

3) death-nail - awesome name for a band

4) ???

5) Profit
EclipseAg
AG
For all intensive purposes, y'all are just a bunch of pre-Madonnas.

Ag Tag
Hehateme1 said:

Oldfart2 said:

Conchovalleyag said:

BDub3 said:

I could care less
And don't forget would of, could of, and should of.
And allsome.
greg.w.h
AG
LesterHaze said:

Once we get to a 32 team playoff, nobody will care about conferences. Ole Miss just won the National Championship in baseball and they finished 8th in the SEC with a sub .500 conference record. In college basketball nobody cares about conferences once March Madness starts.
I contend conferences were far more important when the NCAA made most of its money preventing colleges from making money from TV and therefore could only afford to play regionally with an occasional national games (which were at first reached by long train rides.)

If the viewers prefer a longer playoff, and the media can monetize it, yeah…then it will happen.

I'm indifferent to change being bad just because.

Single or even double elimination tournaments aren't as meaningful as longer series for the same reason women's tennis is riskier for better players than men's. But there is very little demand today for more college baseball even in the post season yet in part because baseball is viewed as slow and tedious by a much larger population today than a century ago. We can all provide our own explanations of why that is happening, but it's hard to deny it did happen.

Ole Miss beat an OU team twice that we couldn't beat once. Pretty impressive in my book. And three SEC teams surviving to the semifinals suggest why they were able to pull it off.

If five teams from one conference are truly deserving of going to Omaha in baseball, then a larger football playoff to test out relative conference strength makes a lot of sense in football. The bowl system was itself a product of its time and has mostly receded into that past. It's okay. Things change.
rootube
AG
LesterHaze said:

This is completely false and I would argue people will care more about conferences because something magical will happen. P5 conferences will finally start playing games against one another regularly.
20ag07
Quote:

But there is very little demand today for more college baseball even in the post season yet in part because baseball is viewed as slow and tedious by a much larger population today than a century ago. We can all provide our own explanations of why that is happening, but it's hard to deny it did happen.
CWS games happen at 1PM on a Tuesday, because that's the monetary value the ESPN math boys valued them at.

An Ole Miss vs any P5 football game would never be.

That's the math on the sports.

The conferences don't matter anymore, the couple competing TV people monetizing 1) packages, then 2) windows drive it all.
LincolnBorglum79
AG
I think the right answer is 4 conferences. SEC, Big 10, ACC and West. 20 teams each is 80 total teams. 32 playoff teams. Top 8 from each conference. Four 8 team regionals with 2 teams from each conference. If the SEC remains dominant, then maybe all 8 SEC teams make the sweet 16. All teams in this 80 play 12 conference games. The playoffs will determine a true champion. It may be the 8th seeded Ole Miss beating West 4 seed Okie State I'm the title game. Or maybe Bama vs Texas Aggies as we both win our regionals. Anything short of this type of setup will fail.

Sugar Bowl and RosE Bowl are already a mess with Super Conferences. Give us March Madness in January instead of bowls.
Scotty Appleton
bam02 said:

amercer said:

Super conferences will be the end of college football, because most college football fans don't support one of the top 20 schools. It will turn into college baseball on steroids. A small number of really passionate fans rooting for minor league teams while the rest of the country pays attention to the major league.

I don't know. I feel like this is a great point, but at the same time I have plenty of buddies that went to tech, baylor, etc that will watch a texas or sec game just as much as they'd watch their school.

Bur will they watch if their school is relegated? I would guess they watch now in part because they have a vested interest in seeing the competition. What happens when that goes away?

There is something to amercer's post. I think many people posting here are blind to it a bit, but there are large areas of this country that don't really care about CFB and could more dramatically shift from casual CFB/regular NFL fan to simply NFL viewer only.

As for the future, TX is about the only big state where high school football participation has held steady/increased. CA is down like 13% over the past decade. Even GA & FL have seen declines. That is the most looming statistic when you start projecting future viewers.
AG81
AG
oldcrow91 said:

Conchovalleyag said:

BDub3 said:

Mrs old crow used to think Neal Diamond was singing about a "hot light"

I don't care what anyone says, the subject of the Commadores "Brick House" is built like a neckamazon.
bv86ag
AG
I am a native Texan and i like all kinds of high school and college football.
It's the NFL i cannot stand.
Maybe because both the Cowboys and Texans suck.
W
AG
maroonthrunthru said:

1. Nobody wants to see a bunch of 8-4 or 9-3 teams…

I agree that the major programs need cupcakes so a 4-4 conference season...which becomes 8-4 overall...looks better to coaches, fans, administrators, and recruits.

if the cupcakes are removed, the turnover of coaches and players at programs will be even higher.

looking back at the COVID season...only 4 of the 14 SEC schools had a good or great year.

the remaining 10 were disappointing
BMX Bandit
And how many did last year? 5?
greg.w.h
AG
It's at 1pm because it can't be later because there is a single evening game. Their format consumes all reasonable time slots each day. Two.
20ag07
Quote:

It's at 1pm because it can't be later because there is a single evening game. Their format consumes all reasonable time slots each day. Two.
And both you and I know that if there was any money at all in college baseball, the 1st 2 rounds of the CWS would be played at different sites, in prime time. There's not, so it's not.
BMX Bandit
Exactly. More people watched softball final than baseball final
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.