Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Here's why Super Conferences are a death -knell for College FB…

6,625 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BMX Bandit
maroonthrunthru
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1. Nobody wants to see a bunch of 8-4 or 9-3 teams…

In FB, you NEED the Vandys and Rice-s of the world….
Due to its physicality, FB requires a couple of patty-cakes during the season if you want to stay healthy, or recover…

Super Conferences with PHYSICAL teams every week will kill off all the good teams and make them ALL mediocre…

You also need Heroes and Villains to keep interest… You NEED Bama to be the big guy on the block… You NEED tOSU to be the "bad guy" in the Midwest…

Imagine a National Champ game where both sides are completely dinged up… Ecccchhhh !
BDub3
AG
Huh, always thought it was death nail. You learn something every day.
BMX Bandit
Wrong
maroonthrunthru
BMX -

That's the great thing about "Hot Sports Take" predictions…

You have to wait a pretty long time to be proven wrong or right…
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
uh, generally would expect to see at least one more point when you start a post off with "1)".
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
This is an excellent point and is exactly why the NFL is filled with a bunch of "patty-cakes".
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
i am okay with super conferences i think it has always been an eventuality. that said i think going with a georgraphic approach would be much smarter. usc and ucla are not a fit for the big.
maroonthrunthru
The NFL is totally different, yet proves my point…

First of all… NFL has 32 teams with less than 60 players…

That's less than 1900 total players…. The most physically-gifted 1900 players in football who can focus on it 24/7 with none of those nasty distractions like SCHOOL…

And yet, there were 20 of those teams that had a break-even or losing record…

Go ask a fan in Jacksonville, FL how much they like the Jags…

See how excited you'll be when there's a Natl champ game between 2, 9-3 teams…

You NEED powerhouse teams to keep interest… Heroes and Villains sells… Not mediocrity…

amercer
AG
Super conferences will be the end of college football, because most college football fans don't support one of the top 20 schools. It will turn into college baseball on steroids. A small number of really passionate fans rooting for minor league teams while the rest of the country pays attention to the major league.
QB1
AG
Nfl on line 1, seems to work well for them

maroonthrunthru said:

1. Nobody wants to see a bunch of 8-4 or 9-3 teams…

In FB, you NEED the Vandys and Rice-s of the world….
Due to its physicality, FB requires a couple of patty-cakes during the season if you want to stay healthy, or recover…

Super Conferences with PHYSICAL teams every week will kill off all the good teams and make them ALL mediocre…

You also need Heroes and Villains to keep interest… You NEED Bama to be the big guy on the block… You NEED tOSU to be the "bad guy" in the Midwest…

Imagine a National Champ game where both sides are completely dinged up… Ecccchhhh !
BillYeoman
amercer said:

Super conferences will be the end of college football, because most college football fans don't support one of the top 20 schools. It will turn into college baseball on steroids. A small number of really passionate fans rooting for minor league teams while the rest of the country pays attention to the major league.

Good point.
Conchovalleyag
AG
BDub3 said:

Same....of course I always thought it was wheel barrel not wheel barrow

Wonder what other phrases I get wrong....
rgag12
AG
QB1 said:

The majority of college football fans love college football because it IS NOT the NFL.

Make no mistake, turning college football into the NFL (two leagues, paid players) will make the game not special anymore.
merch
One of many things that will lead to end of college ball like we know it…still say that happens in less than a decade
Sq 17
Conchovalleyag said:

BDub3 said:

Personal favorite I had history teacher discussing this and his community pronounced
Misled as
M(aisle)d
Sounds like aisle
Aggieair
amercer said:

College football is the original football. It gave birth to professional football. Baseball happened the other way around- Majors/minors/professional baseball has always been more popular than college baseball.

College football will always be around and popular in the midwest and south simply because of the spectacle and school tradition involved in it. It's not going anywhere.

If anything is going to "kill" college football, it's not super-conferences, playoffs, or NIL. It will be cultural changes, like how the left coast university-attending types don't really care for athletics as much as their counterparts in the midwest and south.
amercer
AG
Pretty sure Iowa st fans don't give many ****s about the pageantry and spectacle of Nebraska games. And Fresno St fans aren't just going to start rooting for UCLA because that's the nearest college football team.

Super conferences relegate 90% of alumni to rooting for DII football, or just not caring. I bet they take the 2nd option.
NyAggie
AG
amercer said:

Pretty sure Iowa st fans don't give many ****s about the pageantry and spectacle of Nebraska games. And Fresno St fans aren't just going to start rooting for UCLA because that's the nearest college football team.

Super conferences relegate 90% of alumni to rooting for DII football, or just not caring. I bet they take the 2nd option.

90%?

That seems kinda high when super conferences will hold roughly half the FBS teams, and most of them the biggest schools with the biggest fanbases

amercer
AG
That's the current P5 setup. Two 16 team conferences take that number way down.
NyAggie
AG
amercer said:

That's the current P5 setup. Two 16 team conferences take that number way down.

Ahhh, but if it's two super conference it will wind up more like two 30 team conferences
20ag07
What NOBODY wants to see is cupcake games. Only the hardcore fans pay attention to that.

What season ticket holders don't want, is cupcake games.

The more marquee games, the better.

You, me, and T-shirt fan Joe are gonna watch A&M/Texas in November if we're both sitting at 7-4. Nobody wants to watch us play UMass on Nov (or any other month) even if we're 11-0.
oldcrow91
AG
Conchovalleyag said:

BDub3 said:

Mrs old crow used to think Neal Diamond was singing about a "hot light"
Frok
AG
20ag07 said:

What NOBODY wants to see is cupcake games. Only the hardcore fans pay attention to that.

You, me, and T-shirt fan Joe are gonna watch A&M/Texas in November if we're both sitting at 7-4. Nobody wants to watch us play UMass on Nov (or any other month) even if we're 11-0.

Totally agree. Problem is cupcake games have been increasing. We gave 3-4 who gives a crap games a year.

Ag Tag
oldcrow91 said:

Conchovalleyag said:

BDub3 said:

Mrs old crow used to think Neal Diamond was singing about a "hot light"
"There's bathroom on the right."
Sterling82
I don't understand what's so great about conferences that are so large you can't even figure out how to schedule games much less determine a champion.
Aggieair
amercer said:

You are 180 degrees wrong on your "90%" number when it comes to fanbases. It's literally the opposite.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MiUOwx8X3H2bSkUOz8a1YhceyJWLLCoJ/view

https://duckswire.usatoday.com/lists/where-are-the-oregon-ducks-in-study-of-largest-college-football-fan-bases/?itm_source=parsely-api
Aggieair
amercer said:

Wrong.

MaroonStain
AG
amercer said:

Indeed. Everyone is waiting for the next Boise State to root for.
Iowaggie
AG
Conference realignment has been the Death Knell for college football since Arkansas bolted from the SWC.
Also concussions and knee injuries.
MaroonStain
AG
Don't bother. Said poster has had some of the worst takes in this site's history.
MaroonStain
AG
Frok said:

20ag07 said:

Totally agree. Problem is cupcake games have been increasing. We gave 3-4 who gives a crap games a year.

How many times did you two post when we're 8-1 during an all SEC season in 2020?

Did you two have covid brain fog for 5 months?
91AggieLawyer
AG
rgag12 said:

QB1 said:

The majority of college football fans love college football because it IS NOT the NFL.

Make no mistake, turning college football into the NFL (two leagues, paid players) will make the game not special anymore.

This is the way things are going regardless of whether things stay pat or we go to super conferences.

The OP misses the point: super conferences are DESIGNED to get rid of the Rices and Vandys of the world, at least to the extent they can. (Vandy is more of an exception than the rule, but you get my point). Its all about money and no one has factored in what potential changes the current NIL/individual rights landscape or realignment will do to college football. The money models are based on yesterday and today, not tomorrow.

SORT OF like what ESPN did with the sip network.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Aggieair said:

amercer said:

You are 180 degrees wrong on your "90%" number when it comes to fanbases. It's literally the opposite.

https://duckswire.usatoday.com/lists/where-are-the-oregon-ducks-in-study-of-largest-college-football-fan-bases/?itm_source=parsely-api

The data, at least your first link, that you reference has some serious questions in my view. It is sourced, "Synthesis of 2011, 2014 & 2019 New York Times + NYT 538 studies." What exactly does that mean? Where can we find these studies and these "New York Times" whatever they are talking about? (Obviously in the Times, but are they articles? Editorials? What?)

Ohio State has almost 50% more fans than Notre Dame? Huh? ND has their own network, football history, an entire church behind them (ok, somewhat anyway), and they're 2/3rds of Ohio State? Sorry, but not buying that.

I know Ohio State has been the largest university in the nation for a while but Notre Dame transcends school size. Besides, OhSU hasn't been much larger than A&M, t.u., Arizona State, and others during that time.
Bearpitbull
amercer said:

100% agree. The SEC, if completely insulated in the South, will become Nascar. Super involved, highly engaged fans but nobody outside that footprint will care. If you are Utah, and you cannot get into some playoff, you won't care what two southern schools are doing on Saturday. Lacking creativity.
Bearpitbull
You think nobody wants a few cupcakes but 60% of the country won't care what is happening in the south if their team, let's say Oregon, cannot play into a playoff or never plays them.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.