Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

*****2022 CONFERENCE EVOLVES INTO SUPERCONFERENCE REALIGNMENT THREAD*****

4,632 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dr Lane Trowlan
fieldtrailer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiedad7 said:

nbaker2022 said:

I just hope Baylor gets absolutely hosed with this whole deal. I really do.
Pretty sure that's a done deal. They are hosed.

Why? What is the determining factor? Would you rather watch Baylor vs Oh St in football or Kansas vs Ohio St? Baylor basketball better than anyone in B10 now. Mens and Womens. It has to have something to do with television audience. Maybe Baylor not a big draw. I wouldn't think Kansas is either, but maybe they are.

fieldtrailer
AG
MaroonStain said:

...and with this, as many have said, tu to SEC is not a "done deal". The snakes are looking for 'best option'. Big 12 BDF may be the place to stay for tu and their wore out slore, 0u.

ESPN won't let TU leave. TU and OU are key to ESPN in order to get their 3 billion back. ESPN is why college football is in this state. That TV deal is screwing the other conferences who can't get anything close to that. B10 is doing well with a tv deal with fox/ESPN, and I'm guessing they think USC and UCLA have a large enough tv audience that they can get a new TV deal. Fox and ESPN combined for a 2.5 billion dollar deal that runs thru 2023 (I think). So the issue is how can the ACC, PAC12, B12 get TV deals to keep them going. Obviously, several schools think they cant and are wanting to bail. ESPN desperately needs TU and OU in the SEC to help raise revenue so they can get their money back.

I don't think this is good for college football. Obviously. Need ESPN to somehow be stopped from completing this tv deal with the SEC. Spread the money out to all the conferences so they can keep going. And then (the conferences or NCAA) start working with Amazon, Google, Apple, NBC, CBS to get more into televising games. But, I'd bet the SEC is going to fight like crazy to support ESPN and the current deal. A lot of people will be making a lot of money over the next 10 years.

And, a lot of financials indicate ESPN is drowning due to cord cutting. those cord cutters are not all buying ESPN+ and estimates of more and more cord cutting going to hurt them even more. The other side of argument is that there are so many sports fans, that even if they do go to streaming, they will still buy ESPN+. ESPN will have to raise their subscriptions to offset how many they lose. So we don't know if ESPN can even pay for all these commitments.

Summary. ESPN owns the sips. If that school does anything to make them lose money, ESPN would try to burn them down.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

and with this, as many have said, tu to SEC is not a "done deal". The snakes are looking for 'best option'. Big 12 BDF may be the place to stay for tu and their wore out slore, 0u.
funny.
CapCityAg89
AG
Interesting thread here on ACC media rights. I still think we end up with four mega conferences and that's it at the top level of college sports. B1G and SEC obviously, plus PAC10 and ACC. All at about 20 schools each. SEC and B1G will be fascinating to watch though.

OrygunAg
AG
Why does the sec need to go mega? If we get the national championship every year then wgaf? Unless it makes the broadcast contract $ sweeter i don't see a need. Let the other conferences go top heavy with parasitic smaller schools.
Dr Lane Trowlan
OrygunAg said:

Why does the sec need to go mega? If we get the national championship every year then wgaf? Unless it makes the broadcast contract $ sweeter i don't see a need. Let the other conferences go top heavy with parasitic smaller schools.

16 is already too many.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.