Story Poster
Photo by Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Reveling in the Reviling: A handful of programs that Aggies most detest

May 24, 2022

Old-time rocker George Thorogood once bragged he wore a cobra snake necktie while asking “Who Do You Love?”

If Thorogood was playing The Tap this weekend, he’d be better served to ask “Who do you hate?”

Who are the snakes of college athletics that Aggies most detest?

Obviously, Texas always has and always will top at the list of A&M’s most reviled. Of course, the Red Raiders, Baylor Bears, Houston Cougars and TCU Horned Frogs have been on it, too.

But reactions to A&M’s success in recruiting and on-field competition have expanded the list and maybe even re-arranged some rankings of the reviled.

A&M has long had a disdain for LSU. The disgust multiplied back in the 1990s when LSU canceled the annual series because A&M beat the Tigers six times in a seven-year span.

There was also that fiasco with Harvey Williams, aka “The Louisiana Purchase.”

Troy Taormina-USA TODAY Sports
Some in Baton Rouge might still be upset about Texas A&M’s 74-72 win over LSU from four years ago.

Also, LSU fans are probably still whining about A&M’s seven-overtime victory in 2018.

Of course, LSU isn’t the only SEC rival with which A&M has a problem.

Though Arkansas and A&M share a mutual loathing of Texas, they disprove the ancient proverb: “The enemy of my enemy is my friend.”

Aggies and Razorbacks aren’t friends.

Aggies don’t want to be, especially with all the recent whining coming out of Fayetteville regarding A&M and Incarnate Word (not World) mutually deciding to cancel a meaningless midweek baseball game this week.

Oklahoma is another example. The Sooners also detest Texas, but that’s where the common ground with A&M ends.

Remember back in 2013 when former coach Bob Stoops questioned the strength of Southeastern Conference football? Since then, the SEC has produced five national champions.

And now Oklahoma wants to join the SEC. Of course.

But what really irks Aggies is Sooners' reaction to A&M’s success in football recruiting.

Smug Oklahoma fans assumed A&M center Bryce Foster and defensive lineman Gabriel Brownlow-Dindy were guaranteed to join the Sooners. When both chose A&M, there were internet attacks on them. There were also accusations that A&M cheated to get them.

Let that sink in.

Sooners, whose past is as checkered as Tennessee end zones, were baselessly accusing another program of cheating.

Tim Heitman-USA TODAY Sports
Texas A&M and Oklahoma haven’t met on the gridiron since Johnny Manziel & Co. embarrassed the Sooners in the 2013 Cotton Bowl Classic.

Don’t throw stones in glass houses.

Almost everyone hates Notre Dame, but A&M certainly has its reasons.

It was ridiculous enough that Notre Dame was chosen for the College Football Playoff over A&M in 2020, but adding to the Dame disdain was Notre Dame Vice President Lou Nanni’s irresponsible and untrue tweet about the myth that A&M paid $30 million to land its 2022 recruiting class.

No doubt, Aggies in general — and Jimbo Fisher, in particular — are looking forward to games against Notre Dame in 2024 and 2025.

Of course, the additional abhorred adversaries don’t necessarily have to be relegated to rival programs. Aggies seemingly have learned to detest individuals as well.

Aggies have learned to dislike Ole Miss. An honest question, though: Do Aggies have more disdain for Ole Miss or for Rebels’ coach Lane Kiffin?

Kiffin drew A&M's ire by suggesting the Aggies pay a luxury tax for its recruiting class. Another irresponsible statement from the coach of a program that actually has been proven to pay players (hello, Laremy Tunsil) before NIL came into effect.

Aggies also have issues with media types like Darren Rovell, Dennis Dodd, Danny Kanell, Joel Klatt and Kirk Herbstreit, the Big 12 Conference overall and Southeastern Conference officiating.

Remember Georgia receiver George Pickens grabbing the face mask of A&M cornerback Debione Renfro to create separation for a 16-yard touchdown pass? Remember how no yellow flags were thrown?

Alabama also seems to frequently get favorable officiating against A&M.

A&M doesn’t like Alabama, but the opponent’s success isn’t really a reason for hatred. Winning is the goal, after all.

TexAgs
At SEC Media Days in 2021, Saban spoke about Bryce Young’s large NIL deals prior to the eventual-Heisman winner taking a meaningful snap for the Crimson Tide.

However, when coach Nick Saban accuses A&M of buying its entire 2022 recruiting class without citing evidence is a reason for hatred.

Especially, when a year ago Saban was bragging quarterback Bryce Young had a $1 million deal before taking a meaningful snap. The hypocrisy makes the stomach turn.

So I ask Aggies…who or what really makes your stomach turn? Who or what should be the top five on A&M’s most reviled list?

I’m guessing it’s:

1. Texas
2. Saban
3. LSU
4. Arkansas
5. Lane Kiffin

Is that accurate? I'm wondering what would be the consensus top-five. So, let me adjust my cobra snake necktie and ask you, Aggies:

Who do you hate?

Discussion from...

Reveling in the Reviling: A handful of programs that Aggies most detest

12,611 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Showstopper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Let go of your hate, Olin.

Let love in.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
My list

Texas
LSU
Tech
Arky
Saban
DeadCiv
AG
Texas
Texas
Texas
Texas
and especially,
Texas
Aggie_Nuke
AG
Sorry, Number 2 for me is Notre Dame.... included in that is Lou Holtz, since he was also at Arkansas

The ONLY valid ANNUAL goal for ALL Aggie Sports is a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Gig'em !
FTAC '73
TxFig
AG
1. Tech.
2. Mike Leech
2. Saban
3. Officials when we play 'bama
4. Texas
5. Baylor (because of their fans - gawd I can't stand them)
jsmc71
AG
I hate every school we play, its players and coaches, with equal fervor.
dixichkn
AG
1) LSU
2) tu
3) Saban just earned his way into the top 3
4) Greg Sankey
5) any NCAA selection committee
jigsaw87
AWP 97
AG
DeadCiv said:

Texas
Texas
Texas
Texas
and especially,
Texas

This. The only school I hate is tu. I dislike many others but I save all of my true hatred for the longhorns.
TxAg82/86
AG
1. tu
2. zero-u
3. Saban (just about 50 spots in this weeks poll)
4. fu (Florida, the tu of the south-southeast)
5. Reserving a place for ncaa selection committees following baseball tournament seeding.
aTmBonfire
AG
1) tu
2) Sankey
3) tu
4) Sankey
5) tu
Cotton79
AG
Somewhere in all this, DeLoss Dodds belongs. Totally separate from tu as a school... he deserves a special place in hell as well as on this list.

The Agly Duckling
1. t.u.
2. Dennis Dodd
3. LSU
4. Arkansas
5. Bama
Stone44
AG
1. tu
2. baylor
3. ou
4.lsu
5. gumps
Jlove1770
AG
1. texas, their fans and their entitled behavior
2. LSU
3. Oklahoma
4. Alabama
5. Notre Dame bc of early 90s Cotton Bowls
bulverdeaggie93
AG
so do we like anyone?
IamGroot
AG
Left out Zero U. Can't get past that 77-0 beatdown.
AG
bulverdeaggie93 said:

so do we like anyone?
Kansas... in football only....
cavscout96
AG
1. tu
2a. LSU
2b. Bama /Saban / Gump fans
3. Arkansas
4. Tech
5. OM
6. tOSU
7. Mich
8. USC(w)
9a. Muschamp
9b. Kiffen
10. zero U

(dis)Honorable Mention

Oregon
UCLA
OSU
UT
UGA

laruejd
AG
Kiffin's "luxury tax" comment was obviously a joke. He did not accuse us of anything illegal. Saban's comment about every single recruit being bought was not a joke, just a lie. Had he said 1 recruit was bought or even 15, it would have been more believable. Very hard to find 28, 5 and 4 star recruits and not a few honest ones in the bunch (or at least honest parents, these are mostly 17 year olds).
dixckn87
AG
sips
sips
sips
LSU
Alabama
Ag Tag
Vanderbilt
joe5283@aol.com
When you learn to laugh at yourself, everybody will quit laughing at you.
shanecroker
1. tu
2. LSU
3. Saban
4., Kiffin
5. player portal
shanecroker
Ag Tag said:

Vanderbilt
???
shanecroker
laruejd said:

Kiffin's "luxury tax" comment was obviously a joke. He did not accuse us of anything illegal. Saban's comment about every single recruit being bought was not a joke, just a lie. Had he said 1 recruit was bought or even 15, it would have been more believable. Very hard to find 28, 5 and 4 star recruits and not a few honest ones in the bunch (or at least honest parents, these are mostly 17 year olds).
Kiffin is a "Joke!"
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Texas
Texas Tech
LSU
Arkansas
Alabama

Cow Pie & Fries
A list without Baylor is blasphemous….
maroon89
AG
1. The ref who called the penalty on us in 2011, who was later seen wearing t.u. hoodie.
2. o.u. because of 77-0
3. saban because of 59-0
4. lsu because 50-7
5. every loser that posts on surly texas and tiger dropping.

6. we can beat arky for the next 20 years straight, and I still won't feel sorry fo them
ontheway
AG
tu
bu
ou
ark
olm
ontheway
AG
Like it
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Olin missed a great title, it SHOULD have been

Reveille: Reveling in the Reviling
Showstopper
AG
Cow Pie & Fries said:

A list without Baylor is blasphemous….
Seriously. I feel like I must be the only one who feels a little bit of joy every time I see a score update with Baylor losing. I'm pretty sure every time Baylor loses, an angel gets its wings.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.