Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

NIL Rulings out

14,313 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BMX Bandit
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jimbo's discussion of NIL around signing day makes it clear that he is either a world class liar or we had a better understanding of it than most. It seems like from his press conference, he believed others were absolutely breaking the guidelines in place. It was not the wild wild west as was presented by some of the media.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
AstroPete said:

AggieDub04 said:

The Supreme Court has already put the NCAA on notice that they'll strip their right to regulate things all together if they push it. If they come down significantly on any school that can lawyer up it could be the end of "amateurism" all together. One justice even made the point that if restaurants came together to not pay chef's and argued that patrons prefer their food made by amateurs that they'd be laughed at.
It's funny that you mention restaurants, they do come together and don't pay servers. They've been doing it for decades and nobody seems to mind. I should clarify I was a server for many years when I was younger. "nobody seems to mind" was tongue in cheek. Forgot people can't read my sarcasm lol

Servers absolutely do get paid. They make minimum wage no matter what. They just are on a floating pay scale, where if they make less in minimum wage from tips, then the employer covers the remainder.

It's really no different than most commission jobs, except commission jobs have the ability to negotiate their paycheck up front.
Bifferton Bobber Squat
AG
So the NCAA is going to try and hand out sanctions based upon rules that were not even in place at the time of the "violation"? Its almost as though the NCAA tries to be incompetent.
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
Bifferton Bobber Squat said:

So the NCAA is going to try and hand out sanctions based upon rules that were not even in place at the time of the "violation"? Its almost as though the NCAA tries to be incompetent.

They would be better off going after programs with loud-mouthed boosters who were publicly promising cash to high school kids and transfer players. That's always been wrong and is low hanging fruit should someone want to send an enforcement message.

AggieDub04
AG
AstroPete said:

AggieDub04 said:

The Supreme Court has already put the NCAA on notice that they'll strip their right to regulate things all together if they push it. If they come down significantly on any school that can lawyer up it could be the end of "amateurism" all together. One justice even made the point that if restaurants came together to not pay chef's and argued that patrons prefer their food made by amateurs that they'd be laughed at.
It's funny that you mention restaurants, they do come together and don't pay servers. They've been doing it for decades and nobody seems to mind. I should clarify I was a server for many years when I was younger. "nobody seems to mind" was tongue in cheek. Forgot people can't read my sarcasm lol

Not that servers shouldn't absolutely be paid better but if the Supreme Court were to rule that tipping is allowed then this all gets super easy.
ashley
For the NCAA to say the coaches witch players shoul receive money is absolutely comical and ridiculous.
OriolePete
Well not exactly. ha
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
AstroPete said:

Well not exactly. ha

Not sure what you mean.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/texas-laws-tipped-employees.html#:~:text=Employers%20must%20pay%20tipped%20employees,must%20make%20up%20the%20difference.

Quote:

Texas allows employers to take a tip credit. Employers must pay tipped employees at least $2.13 an hour. If an employee doesn't earn enough in tips to bring his or her total compensation up to at least the full state minimum wage rate an hour, the employer must make up the difference.
merch
This is all really quite dumb.
You can't use NIL in recruiting. But you cannot recruit NIL being an issue.

Example: saban says his QB has 7 figure deal. Is that just to tell the world what his QB gets paid? Or is they to tell next QB they are recruiting?

Example: recruit or parent asks about NIL type deals they can expect (wink wink). Is the response we are seeing deals like this or that? Or we can offer X. Or is it, you cannot expect anything but, hypothetically speaking one could assume X.

Saying as part of rule that it cannot be used in recruiting is completely idiotic. That is like telling a hot chick she can't use her hotness to land her a rich dude.
Agvet12
AG
merch said:

This is all really quite dumb.
You can't use NIL in recruiting. But you cannot recruit NIL being an issue.

Example: saban says his QB has 7 figure deal. Is that just to tell the world what his QB gets paid? Or is they to tell next QB they are recruiting?

Example: recruit or parent asks about NIL type deals they can expect (wink wink). Is the response we are seeing deals like this or that? Or we can offer X. Or is it, you cannot expect anything but, hypothetically speaking one could assume X.

Saying as part of rule that it cannot be used in recruiting is completely idiotic. That is like telling a hot chick she can't use her hotness to land her a rich dude.

I'm sure she has a lovely personality
OriolePete
Definitely Not A Cop said:

AstroPete said:

Well not exactly. ha

Not sure what you mean.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/texas-laws-tipped-employees.html#:~:text=Employers%20must%20pay%20tipped%20employees,must%20make%20up%20the%20difference.

Quote:

Texas allows employers to take a tip credit. Employers must pay tipped employees at least $2.13 an hour. If an employee doesn't earn enough in tips to bring his or her total compensation up to at least the full state minimum wage rate an hour, the employer must make up the difference.

Well it definitely isn't like commission. The employer RARELY has to make up the difference. Even then, that's just too get it to the legal minimum. I could sell $10,000 worth of food in a day and it has 0 effect on what I take home. The restaurant could make $8,000 profit on my ability to upsell and the only thing they have to do legally is make sure I made minimum wage. Plus, that's not factoring in "tip outs" to the bar or FOH or who knows what else the restaurant says I owe others. By the end of your shift, sure you might be getting at least minimum wage, but if a table skips out on the check I can actually be PAYING to server them if at the end of the night I have to tip out 1% or whatever of my sales total.

I'm not dumb, I understand what the laws say, but there's way more to it than that. I think I remember hearing something now were a lot of restaurants are no longer putting a gratuity charge on parties 8 or more. Or maybe they took that away for everyone. I'm glad I'm not serving today. We didn't have that problem in my day.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I got you. Sorry for the derail.
OriolePete
derails are the best
greg.w.h
AG
By the way: the NCAA Transformation Committee doesn't appear to have NIL on its agenda and is unlikely to finish on time..,

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-unlikely-to-meet-constitution-deadline-as-hot-button-nil-issue-disrupts-college-athletics/
usmcbrooks
One would believe this wouldn't even be a thing if A&M didn't sign the highest rated class in the history of College Football. Nobody blinked a single eye when Bama, Georgia and other schools signed the top classes. Go **** yourself whorn if you really believe you are clean.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Citizen Reign said:

BadAggie said:

Yet somehow that Alabama QB recruit that got seven figures, well that was all on the up and up. Same for the sips paying $5 mil for Ohio State's 4th best QB.
To be fair, I didn't hear anything about Bryce Young receiving money before he signed with Bama. I believe he was at least halfway through his fish year, maybe the start of his second year, before Saban's $1MM NIL deal statement.

The Quinn Ewers early grad and enrollment at OSU then transferring to Horns for a bigger bank is a different beast.

I read Saban quoted about that before the season of his fish year, but it wasn't during recruiting. I agree that's different than having charity set up for the sole purpose of paying kids to come play or having media mouthpieces leak 7-figure payment offers while requiring was still ongoing.
C@LAg
asking for a friend...

what if you, I mean he or someone related to him violated these rules...?
BMX Bandit
Saban commented on Bryce Young ins summer 2021. Young had already been on campus a year.
The Debt
BadAggie said:

NCAA remains committed to ensuring that the African-American student athlete can't be paid.

So it applies differently to white athletes?

Or are you just a race baiting SJW?
BadAggie
AG
The Debt said:

BadAggie said:

NCAA remains committed to ensuring that the African-American student athlete can't be paid.

So it applies differently to white athletes?

Or are you just a race baiting SJW?

You are stupid. Thankfully I note the lack of an Ag Tag.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Read pages 41-45 of the link below. Short and easy to read. If the NCAA does basically anything, a challenge will nuke them from orbit.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/20pdf/20-512_gfbh.pdf
BMX Bandit
No other justice joined Kavanaugh & he's not shown himself to be a justice that will sway anyone.

I don't think NIL is as easy an issue to rule in as educational benefits. There's a reason NIL was specifically not in the case.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.