Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

tu fans asking if it's too late to get out of the SEC

19,752 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BadAggie
JordanJeffersonBurner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I honestly think the big 12 might be too competitive for them. Maybe the AAC will be more their speed
JJ Watt deserved the 2014 MVP
T dizl televizl
AG
username does not check out
Tx_Aggie15
AG
JordanJeffersonBurner said:

I honestly think the big 12 might be too competitive for them. Maybe the AAC will be more their speed

Now that's how you troll effectively.
TheDraw
AG
Bill Superman
AG
Our only hope of that the new Big12 commissioner is interested and able to convince sip and the other school to stay.
_mpaul
AG
T dizl televizl said:

username does not check out
Dammit. Beat me to it.
W
AG
OU should be trying to back out too
OriolePete
A&M could really do some damage and close the gab in the series. I can't stand seeing the 40 or so gap in wins.

I just don't get the arguments against playing Texas. And yes, I know all the reasons and what they do to a conference. But I mean come on, we are by far in a better place. Even if we won the next 15 meetings, we would still be way behind in wins. You know what's better than having the most wins in a series? Having the last 1 or the last 4-6. We can't have either one of those unless we actually play.

My God how can you not want a front row seat to this train wreck.
ABATTBQ87
AG
NoahAg
I hope it doesn't happen but I think t.u. will transition just fine to the SEC. If we can do it they certainly can. They have the facilities and the national recognition. Their recruiting will get an instant boost when they join. We have to be sure that we are on top before they get in.
Let's go, Brandon!
taylorswift13
AG
NoahAg said:

I hope it doesn't happen but I think t.u. will transition just fine to the SEC. If we can do it they certainly can. They have the facilities and the national recognition. Their recruiting will get an instant boost when they join. We have to be sure that we are on top before they get in.
LOL
Showstopper
AG
Long term they will be fine, but they are going to take some big lumps moving to the SEC. I know everyone said that about us and it wasn't as bad as everyone expected, but we were also lucky enough to have a lot of things go unexpectedly right, not the least of which was Johnny. Maybe they catch a perfect storm of goodness as well, but even with the good luck, we took some lumps in the transition.
The Debt
Link? I see it's got 2 pages worth of replies. Need to see those.
jaguar
The amount of infatuation of everything tu on this board is something I can always count on, that and also the cringeworthy takes that come with them.
Aggie87
AG
AstroPete said:

A&M could really do some damage and close the gab in the series. I can't stand seeing the 40 or so gap in wins.

That's a stat that's easy to dismiss. Up through the mid-60's, A&M was a male-only military school, where Corps membership was mandatory. Including the football team. We struggled to get out of that mentality until Emory Bellard showed up and brought the wishbone offense to A&M. He was the first A&M football coach since Bear Bryant to have a winning record.

So for all of the early decades, we play corps guys against tu. It's no wonder that they had a winning record against us during that era.

I think a more realistic timeframe for the rivalry is from 1975 when we began to establish our football identity, up until when the rivalry ended in 2011.

For that timeframe, the record is A&M 19, tu 18.

Iraq2xVeteran
AG
If Texas has been struggling in the Big 12, they will struggle even more in the SEC. In Steve Sarkisian's first year, Texas finished 5-7, including 3-6 in Big 12 games, including a 57-56 overtime loss to Kansas in Austin on 11/13/21. In that loss to Kansas, Texas never led and trailed by 21 points twice (35-14 at halftime and 42-21 with 8:59 left in the 3rd quarter). Assuming the SEC moves to 9 game conference schedules, Texas will be lucky to win 4 SEC games in most years.
greg.w.h
AG
AstroPete said:

I just don't get the arguments against playing Texas. And yes, I know all the reasons and what they do to a conference. But I mean come on, we are by far in a better place. Even if we won the next 15 meetings, we would still be way behind in wins. You know what's better than having the most wins in a series? Having the last 1 or the last 4-6. We can't have either one of those unless we actually play.

Let me help…the more often we don't play them, the more often you can add a win since they refused to play us…
Emilio Fantastico
AG
W said:

OU should be trying to back out too

Lincoln Riley already did.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Aggie87 said:

AstroPete said:

That's a stat that's easy to dismiss. Up through the mid-60's, A&M was a male-only military school, where Corps membership was mandatory. Including the football team. We struggled to get out of that mentality until Emory Bellard showed up and brought the wishbone offense to A&M. He was the first A&M football coach since Bear Bryant to have a winning record.

So for all of the early decades, we play corps guys against tu. It's no wonder that they had a winning record against us during that era.

I think a more realistic timeframe for the rivalry is from 1975 when we began to establish our football identity, up until when the rivalry ended in 2011.

To your point, if you go back over the entire history of the series, their lead in the win column is almost entirely from the period of WWII to the 70's.
JPK89
AG
The Debt said:

Link? I see it's got 2 pages worth of replies. Need to see those.
Unfortunately it's on their "Premium" board. So unless anyone here pays, this is all we can see.

LMAO that is premium content.
Aggie1188
NoahAg said:

their recruiting ain't getting a boost. The 2023 kids not choosing them aren't doing so bc they're in the Big12 at the moment.
Jimbo4win
AG
AstroPete said:

The series is even in my lifetime and I am in my mid 40s.
OriolePete
Aggie87 said:

AstroPete said:

But I mean, do you see how having to do that looks? We played them every one of those times. It wasn't like we ever played them expecting to lose, so every loss and every win counts. They've been our rival from day 1, so that is a game every school wants to win. They've won way more. Trying to disprove that with, albeit sound reasoning, still comes off as silly

Saying "well we weren't really trying to win until 1975 so let's start counting then" is like that 1 kid we all knew saying "wait, I wasn't ready" playing hide and go seek and being found in the first 3 seconds.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
So because we had a terrible record against them pre-1975, we should hope for a stupid decision that chips away some of our current advantages? I disagree with your logic here. That does not sound like a good choice if you support A&M.
EvanStewartBurner

OriolePete
I'm not saying "here's why we should play them, so we can close the gab" lol I'm just saying...I mean come on, what other rivalry would have 1 side act this way? I just don't get it. And I'm not talking about them crashing our SEC party, just playing them in general. How could you not want that? We all grew up with that game. We all should be able to remember almost all of those games. I still remember very clearly almost every aspect of the 6-16 tu game when I went to the game by myself because my mom gave me her student ticket, SRO and I cried in the car when she picked me up. LOL Those moments just make beating them that much better. And we aren't even the ones playing! If I had been amazing at football and 6 inches taller, imagine getting a scholarship at A&M and you play 4 years and never get to play tu? That would have sucked for me. Hard.
e=mc2
AG
JordanJeffersonBurner said:

Can you provide a link to this thread?
Aggie87
AG
AstroPete said:

Aggie87 said:

AstroPete said:

But I mean, do you see how having to do that looks? We played them every one of those times. It wasn't like we ever played them expecting to lose, so every loss and every win counts. They've been our rival from day 1, so that is a game every school wants to win. They've won way more. Trying to disprove that with, albeit sound reasoning, still comes off as silly

Saying "well we weren't really trying to win until 1975 so let's start counting then" is like that 1 kid we all knew saying "wait, I wasn't ready" playing hide and go seek and being found in the first 3 seconds.

Except that wasn't my point. We had a competitive disadvantage prior to that timeframe. That earlier timeframe should be judged separately, and the wins we had back then should be celebrated. It's not "we weren't trying to win" prior to that. It's that we had athletes that had to do much more than tu's athletes did, considering they had to live the Corps life in addition to practicing and playing football (and all sports for that matter).

From 1975 on, we were playing by essentially the same rules/parameters that tu was - that's why the record from that timepoint forward is roughly equal. There were times when our team/program was better, and times where theirs was.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
Jimbo4win said:

AstroPete said:

The series is even in my lifetime and I am in my mid 40s.

This.. since college football implemented title 9 in 1979,which limited scholarships for football,Ags have won I believe one more game in the series. At the end of the day who really cares who won in 1902 when fans rode in a carriage to the game. In the modern era it's an even series.
OriolePete
You're right. I guess I'm more annoyed about it because the baseball coach at my high school was a HUGE tu homer and he'd love to give me a hard time as an Aggie fan and no matter what argument i would make he just would eventually devolve the conversation to series record. He was such an ass. LOL
Anchorhold
How do we support this?
greg.w.h
AG
It's never too soon for Texas to leave the SEC…or just not join.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Iraq2xVeteran said:

If Texas has been struggling in the Big 12, they will struggle even more in the SEC. In Steve Sarkisian's first year, Texas finished 5-7, including 3-6 in Big 12 games, including a 57-56 overtime loss to Kansas in Austin on 11/13/21. In that loss to Kansas, Texas never led and trailed by 21 points twice (35-14 at halftime and 42-21 with 8:59 left in the 3rd quarter). Assuming the SEC moves to 9 game conference schedules, Texas will be lucky to win 4 SEC games in most years.

In 2011, A&M was 6-6 in the regular season, including 4-5 in Big 12 games. Those losses came to basically every team that had a pulse, including multiple second half meltdowns, and the six wins were boosted by teams like SMU, Idaho, Iowa State, and Kansas. And yet, in nine months the Ags made the leap from pathetic Big 12 team to instant SEC success, an eventual 11-2 record, top 5 finish, and Heisman trophy winner. I'm not saying the horns WILL do that, but we have firsthand experience that shows it can happen overnight.

It's fun to read our fans say the exact same things about the horns that people said about us 10 years ago. They'll get a boost, and they'll end up being just fine. Maybe they don't ever challenge for anything big, maybe they do. But they're likely not to be the punching bag that we'd all like to see, at least not for long. Good move for them and the sooners.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

Iraq2xVeteran said:

In 2011, A&M was 6-6 in the regular season, including 4-5 in Big 12 games. Those losses came to basically every team that had a pulse, including multiple second half meltdowns, and the six wins were boosted by teams like SMU, Idaho, Iowa State, and Kansas. And yet, the Ags made the leap from pathetic Big 12 team to instant SEC success, an 11-2 record, top 5 finish, and Heisman trophy winner just nine months later. I'm not saying the horns WILL do that, but we have firsthand experience that shows it can happen overnight.

It's fun to read our fans say the exact same things about the horns that people said about us 10 years ago. They'll get a boost, and they'll end up being just fine. Maybe they don't ever challenge for anything big, maybe they do. But they're likely not to be the punching bag that we'd all like to see, at least not for long. Good move for them and the sooners.
Yes, we had a similar record to Texas in 2011, but the difference is Texas lost to Kansas as a 31-point home favorite. Kansas snapped several losing streaks with that win:
1. 20-game losing streak against FBS opponents
2. 18-game losing streak in Big 12 games
3. 56-game losing streak in road Big 12 games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Kansas_Jayhawks_football_team
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Iraq2xVeteran said:

Gramercy Riffs said:

Iraq2xVeteran said:

In 2011, A&M was 6-6 in the regular season, including 4-5 in Big 12 games. Those losses came to basically every team that had a pulse, including multiple second half meltdowns, and the six wins were boosted by teams like SMU, Idaho, Iowa State, and Kansas. And yet, the Ags made the leap from pathetic Big 12 team to instant SEC success, an 11-2 record, top 5 finish, and Heisman trophy winner just nine months later. I'm not saying the horns WILL do that, but we have firsthand experience that shows it can happen overnight.

Yes, we had a similar record to Texas in 2011, but the difference is Texas lost to Kansas as a 31-point home favorite. Kansas snapped several losing streaks with that win:
1. 20-game losing streak against FBS opponents
2. 18-game losing streak in Big 12 games
3. 56-game losing streak in road Big 12 games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Kansas_Jayhawks_football_team

There's very little difference in our seasons, and you're focusing on one (hilarious) game. In 2011, every message board predicted our complete destruction in the SEC. It was seen as a death sentence for a .500 Big 12 team. And success wasn't something we grew into - one generational talent and a new coach basically made it an overnight success story. It can happen.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.