Story Poster
Photo by Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Beaming to Steaming: Jimbo Fisher lashes back at NIL rumors

February 2, 2022

One minute, Texas A&M football coach Jimbo Fisher was beaming. The next, he was steaming.

During a National Signing Day press conference on Wednesday, Fisher transformed from Michelangelo to Michael Corleone.

He went from putting his signature on the Sistine Chapel of college recruiting classes to just waiting to settle all family business.

An elated Fisher was raving about five-star defensive end Shemar Stewart‍ choosing Texas A&M over Miami and Georgia on National Signing Day.

“He’s a guy that can rush, play the run. He can play the past. He can overpower you. He can outspeed you,” Fisher said. “Just a tremendous player. A tremendous addition to our class. On top of that, he’s a better person than he is a player.”

David Bowie
Ponchatoula (LA) safety Mathews became the 29th member of Texas A&M’s 2022 class when he signed with the Aggies on Wednesday.

On Wednesday evening, the Aggies added five-star safety Jacoby Mathews‍, who chose A&M over finalists Florida and LSU.

The addition of Stewart and Mathews ensured A&M’s 2022 class is the highest-rated class in the modern history of college football recruiting.

“(We) Put the finishing touches on our signing class and the future of our organization, which I think is extremely bright,” Fisher said.

Then Fisher went dark.

When asked about accusations that a $30 million slush fund to pay recruits enabled A&M to assemble that heralded class, Fisher took aim at an anonymous writer who started the rumor and those who perpetuated it.

Fisher called out BroBible, the website where the accusation by a writer called “Sliced Bread” was first posted.

Fisher called out Notre Dame Vice President of University Relations Lou Nanni, who tweeted A&M spent a fortune to land its class.

Fisher called out college football media, who reported the BroBible report as fact. Fisher called out SEC coaches, who repeated it as fact.

On Tuesday, Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin suggested A&M should pay a luxury tax because of how much money the Aggies spent on their signing class.

“There is no $30 million fund. There is no $5 million. There is no $10 million. This is garbage.”
- A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher

Kiffin said he was joking. Fisher wasn’t amused.

“There is no $30 million fund. There is no $5 million. There is no $10 million. This is garbage,” he said. “It pisses me off. It comes from a site called BroBible by a guy named ‘Sliced Bread.’ And everybody runs with it. So, it’s written on the internet as gospel. How irresponsible is that?

“There’s some very reputable writers in college football and sports that wrote it and have said it and done things. That’s unbelievable to me. When I first heard it, I laughed. I said, ‘Oh yeah, what a clown.’”

Fisher was just getting warmed up. Those unsubstantiated accusations were a slap in the face to his coaching staff, the recruits and to Texas A&M University as an institution. He said there was a litany of reasons recruits would choose A&M.

“To me, it’s insulting to the players that we recruited that that’s why they would come here,” Fisher said. “You ever been to a game here? You ever come to school here and seen the education? Ever talk about the 12th Man and the Aggie Network when you’re done? There ain’t a better university in this country. It’s insulting.

“And we’ve got writers that have said it and done it off ‘Sliced Bread,’ who made it up. I’d love to see who ‘Sliced Bread’ is and who put it out there. Let me find out where it comes from.

“And then to have coaches in our league and across this league say it … Clown acts.”

In truth, many Texas A&M players have made thousands of dollars since Name, Image & Likeness was made legal last summer. Some have started their own lines of sports gear. Some have endorsed businesses. Some have been paid to sign autographs or give exclusive interviews.

But Fisher adamantly maintained that none have been funneled money from a slush fund.

“And then to have coaches in our league and across this league say it … Clown acts.”
- A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher

A&M players aren’t alone in making NIL deals.

A south Florida gym owner offered to pay Miami players $500 a month to promote his gym. A company that produces energy bars announced it would provide full tuition to BYU walk-ons.

Quarterback Quinn Ewers reportedly received a $1 million NIL deal to go to Ohio State. An Austin reporter tweeted that “first-round” money was “on the table” if Ewers transferred to Texas. He did.

A Texas booster also sought to establish an NIL initiative that would pay offensive linemen $50,000.

Last July at the annual Texas high school coaches convention, Alabama coach Nick Saban bragged that quarterback Bryce Young had gotten nearly $1 million in NIL deals.

“It's funny. When Nick Saban said his quarterback got an $800,000 deal, it was wonderful,” Fisher said. “Now it ain't wonderful no more, huh? We ain't got that. Ours are on record what comes up. We ain't doing all them big deals.

“The hypocrisy is a joke. It's an absolute joke. It’s insulting to our staff, how hard we work, to how we do things. And it's insulting to Texas A&M because there ain't a better place to go to school and play ball.

“If you don't like that we're coming on, get used it to. All right? We're not going anywhere.”

Some in national media and some college football officials don’t want Fisher and A&M to be successful. There still seems to be animosity Fisher received a 10-year, $7.5 million per year contract to leave Florida State for Texas A&M. In the minds of some, A&M is not supposed to challenge the established elite.

Therefore, unproven accusations by questionable sources are accepted and reported as fact.

http://instagr.am/p/CZfbe5tK_vJ

“We worry the kids in social media and internet,” Fisher said. “How about grown-ups? How about the guy that’s supposed to be setting an example? How about writers who are supposed to be writing the right thing? How about coaches that are supposed to be doing the right thing?

“I’ll tell you what, I know how some of those guys recruit, too. Go dig into that. I know the history. I know the traditions. I know things. Trust me, you don’t want to go down that avenue.”

And maybe you don’t want to go down that, Lane.

Oct. 29 might be circled on A&M’s 2022 football schedule. That’s the day Kiffin and Ole Miss visit Kyle Field.

Fisher might be looking at that day to settle family business.

Discussion from...

Beaming to Steaming: Jimbo Fisher lashes back at NIL rumors

19,578 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TAMUallen
DatTallArchitect
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gig 'em Jimbo!
OneMoonGoon92
AG
makes me wanna suit up coach!
Lonestar-aught-six
I see a " Tho shall not covet thy brothers recruiting class" banner in the future.
LatinAggie1997
AG
Ass whippings are coming to CFB and Jimbo has nasty Maroon switch.
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

"And then to have coaches in our league and across this league say it … Clown acts."
Shots fired! I repeat - shots fired!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DustysLineup
AG
Who asked the question?
dixichkn
AG
If he can get the team to carry that kind of piss and vinegar onto the playing field…….oh hell. It's over. Hang the banner.

I could listen to that speech on a loop for the next 24 hours and not get tired of it
cageybee77
AG
Good stuff Olin.
texag86
AG
We're comin' and they gettin skeered
94chem
Great job, Jimbo. Except for the abuse of the king's English, well done.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
nu awlins ag
AG
Now that is what I want from my COACH!!!!! I truly hope he tears up a lot off ass in 2022!!!
mabbruscato
AG
Go get 'em Jimbo!! Worst part of social media when anonymous posts become facts and stir up s**t storms that are nothing but a waste of time. Back up what you have to say or keep it to yourself!! Kudos to the coach for standing up to the BS.
philevans
AG
such a lazy olin buchanan,
using 3 classic awakening-enticement paragraphs to begin a forthright news article on supposed $30kk slush fund used to entice college bound athletes to join A&M football.
Jimbo remains above this conflagration; his signing record documents his success.
TXlic GIGM61
Houstonag
AG
Some tech savvy ag needs to expose the bums and point out those who spread an unsubstantiated story. It is true about the elite programs that do not want TAMU to succeed. The answer is just get better and beat them all. I hope our AD understands what the Aggie nation expects in all sports.
The Agly Duckling
"Lane"

BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Good one, Olin.
Caesar4
AG
Nice article. Truth needed to be shouted from the rooftops to expose the BS accusations from whiny integrity-lacking idiots impersonating journalists.

Small typo by the way…Jimbo said "He can play the pass" not " He can play the past."
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

During a National Signing Day press conference on Wednesday, Fisher transformed from Michelangelo to Michael Corleone.
Very nice. Good writing, Olin.
imjustsayin
AG
This article, Olin, is a work of art! Your stuff is always brilliant, but reading this, especially your final line, makes me want to run through a brick wall!

Even as I type this, I'm pounding on the keyboard!!!

LET'S GO!!!
redjalapeno-87
"Sliced Bread" is a horn by any chance?
SchizoAg
AG
redjalapeno-87 said:

Nobody knows. Completely anonymous. Yet believed and reported as gospel truth by many who want to believe it.
Fido2K
Oct 29th, Ole Miss might want to claim Covid because if not, its going to be a long painful day for them.
nu awlins ag
AG
Question, anyone here or Billy hear if Paul has said anything about this? Just curious after listening to Jimbo. I love his fire and passion and if anyone questioned his desire and love for A&M after listening to this needs to turn in both their degree and ring.
lwdavis
AG
This reminds me of the racist letters Sumlin got, which tarred our university with all those reporters jumping on the bandwagon. And what happened? It turned out that the culprit was caught. Was he an Aggie? Nope, a teasip just trying to make us look bad. Can't compete? Smear those that can. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to find that "Sliced Bread" had Austin roots.
dixichkn
AG
redjalapeno-87 said:

I read online (which makes it gospel truth, right?) that someone found out who it was and it turned out to be an Ole Miss grad. Take that FWIW
Frank Grimes
AG
Caesar4 said:

Nice article. Truth needed to be shouted from the rooftops to expose the BS accusations from whiny integrity-lacking idiots impersonating journalists.

Small typo by the way…Jimbo said "He can play the pass" not " He can play the past."

Maybe Shemar likes oldies.
aggiehawg
AG
Bump!
TAMUallen
AG
dixichkn said:

redjalapeno-87 said:

I read online (which makes it gospel truth, right?) that someone found out who it was and it turned out to be an Ole Miss grad. Take that FWIW

No. Why would and ole misser be a mod on an OU football board?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.