Story Poster
Photo by Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Demani Richardson announces he's staying at A&M for 2022 campaign

January 13, 2022

The Waxahachie kid is running it back in Maroon & White.

Texas A&M junior safety Demani Richardson announced on Thursday that he will return to Texas A&M for his senior year. In three years, the Aggie backend-ball hawk has tallied 172 tackles, 2.5 sacks and three interceptions in 32 games played.

“This team and the community are very special to me, and with that being said, I’d like to come back for my senior year to do everything we know we can accomplish together. I'd also like to thank the 12th Man for its continued support.”
- A&M safety Demani Richardson

“This team and the community are very special to me, and with that being said, I’d like to come back for my senior year to do everything we know we can accomplish together,” Richardson told TexAgs’ Billy Liucci. “I'd also like to thank the 12th Man for its continued support.”

Richardson burst onto the scene for Texas A&M in 2019 at safety under Mike Elko. His first career interception came off Alabama Heisman hopeful quarterback Tua Tagovailoa in the end zone of Kyle Field later that season.

He finished that breakout freshman season with 71 tackles and 2.5 tackles for loss, seeming poised for a quick departure to the NFL. Richardson was named to the Southeastern Conference’s All-Freshman team as voted on by the league’s head coaches and earned the Defensive Top Newcomer and Freshman Strength Awards at the annual team banquet.

A preseason second-team All-SEC selection before the 2020 campaign, Richardson played in eight of Texas A&M’s ten games, recording 36 tackles and 2.5 tackles for loss to go along with one interception.

In his junior campaign, Demani tallied 35 tackles with 6.5 for loss and two sacks while starting all 12 games. His grin while chasing Bo Nix went viral as Richardson ultimately dropped the Auburn signal-caller for a 15-yard loss in the Aggies’ 20-3 victory at Kyle Field.

At Waxahachie high school, Richardson was an Army All-American and named to the Dave Campbell’s Texas Football Tops in Texas First-Team. He chose the Aggies over the likes of Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State and others.

You can watch Liucci’s entire sitdown with Demani on STACKED.

Discussion from...

Demani Richardson announces he's staying at A&M for 2022 campaign

7,232 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ontheway
ABATTBQ87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Great decision!! More senior leadership on the 2022 team
AgBQ-00
AG
Fantastic!
W
AG
big boost to the 2022 secondary
Just Tired
Not surprising but very needed.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Boom
strbrst777
TAM85
Tremendous news!
Bottlehead90
Meximan
TAMU74
AG
Great news.
You made the correct decision sir.
Good luck next year
Maroon Flash
AG
Awesome!
Maroon Flash
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Safety Demani Richardson's decision to return for next season will be a big boost for our pass defense.
An L of an Ag
AG
This is big - thank you Demani!
WC94
AG
Can someone post grin pic?
Frank Grimes
AG
WC94 said:

Can someone post grin pic?
I think it's here:
https://theeagle.com/sports/college/aggiesports/football/texas-a-m-safety-demani-richardson-to-return-next-season/article_4ffa63dc-74ef-11ec-acc6-1761c3c163a1.html
ontheway
AG
Awesomeness Demani! Great news b
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.