Story Poster
Photo by Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Ainias Smith announces he will return for senior season at Texas A&M

January 5, 2022

Shooz. Sub Zero is back for Year Four.

Texas A&M wide receiver Ainias Smith announced on Wednesday via his Instagram that he will return for his fourth season in Maroon & White. One of the most versatile offensive players in the country, Smith’s ability and experience gives Jimbo Fisher another valuable weapon in the slot and the backfield for 2022.

http://instagr.am/p/CYXk6fFuGFJ

“To my new family, The 12th Man, y’all have accepted me for who I am and pushed me to go hard,” Smith wrote. “Because of y’all, I want to grow and better myself as a player and a leader. With that being said, I’ve decided to come back for my senior year to represent this program one last time.”

A junior in 2021, Smith led A&M pass catchers with 47 receptions and six touchdowns. Smith’s 509 receiving yards ranked season among Aggies as only tight end Jalen Wydermyer went for more (515).

Perhaps Smith’s shining moment came in the Aggies’ 41-38 upset of No. 1 Alabama in which he caught a pair of touchdown passes, including an over-the-shoulder grab with three minutes remaining to tie the Tide, 38-38. He had six catches for 85 yards in the historic victory.

Smith also plays a crucial role on special teams, returning punts for the Aggies. In A&M’s lopsided victory over South Carolina this season, Smith returned a punt 95 yards for a touchdown en route to SEC Special Teams Player of the Week honors. However, he did not return punts in the Aggies’ loss to LSU as he was hobbled by a foot injury.

Through three seasons in Aggieland, Smith has caught 112 passes for 1,321 yards and 15 touchdowns. He has also contributed on the ground with 64 carries, 373 yards and four touchdowns, all of which came in 2020.

Smith began his time as a wide receiver but moved to running back as a freshman out of necessity following season-ending injuries and transfers at the position in 2019. After the emergence of Devon Achane, Smith shifted back to receiver almost full-time in 2021.

Smith arrived in College Station as an underrated three-star prospect in Texas A&M’s 2019 signing class. The Fort Bend Dulles product has since become an all-time fan favorite.

Discussion from...

Ainias Smith announces he will return for senior season at Texas A&M

11,433 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TAMU74
ABATTBQ87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Excellent news to have a strong senior leader on the offense
Dr Lane Trowlan
Hell yes!
Agsuffering@bulaw
padreislandagfan
LET'S GO !!!!
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Baller
tk for tu juan
Nice
greg.w.h
AG
We need the leadership with all those incoming fish!!
60Cal
MouthBQ98
AG
Awesome. That's going to be some great help for next years' QB.
Rock1982
AG
Whoop!
Papa Joe
AG
Great news!!!
Gig 'em Ainias Smith!!!
TxAg76
AG
Wonder how he really felt about ZCs departure….
A New Hope
Yes!!
Maroon Flash
AG
Hopefully our passing game is improved from the qb end. Great news and good decision!!
Maroon Flash
LatinAggie1997
AG
Great news!
strbrst777
Outstanding young man.
AgBQ-00
AG
Whoop!
TAM85
Tremendous news!!
An L of an Ag
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
The best news we could hope for.
SABUILDERAG
LET'S GOOO!!!!
ontheway
AG
Awesomeness!! Smith, Demas and Stewart!
Divining Rod
Hell to the YES!!
jr15aggie
AG
This is a win / win scenario for him and the team.
AggieDadxTwo
Agreed ontheway. Marshall may well outshine even those 3. And the tight ends coming in are stellar as well including the top rated TE prospect this year who is also the brother of the transferred LSU quarterback with the superbowl winning dad. All supported by what will undoubtedly become a stifling defense. This is going to be fun to watch.
Brutal Puffin
AG
All the best, Ainias.
laruejd
AG
Great to have him back. He has character and an old school definition of "team". Just goes to show that some 3 stars like Smith and Manziel can be special and some 5 stars never start. Baylor has the top team in the state with mostly 3 stars and recruiting classes ranked about 40 on average.
laruejd
AG
Do you remember Mond's freshman year? Zack was a little inconsistent but he will be a great one.
Cranch69
AG
laruejd said:

Do you remember Mond's freshman year? Zack was a little inconsistent but he will be a great one.
Have you not seen the Viking's press conference. He certainly does not think Mond is a great one.
The Agly Duckling
Holy ****, such great news. Hopefully Demani and Tyree will stay for another year, also.
P.U.T.U
AG
He didn't have a great year and he knows he will have a more accurate QB this year.
TAMU74
AG
Excellent decision young man.
Delighted you're coming back.
I truly believe it will pay off huge for you in the long run....no pun intended.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.