Story Poster
Photo by Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Texas A&M unable to play in 2021 Gator Bowl due to COVID-19 issues

December 22, 2021

No. 25 Texas A&M’s 2021 Taxslayer Gator Bowl matchup with No. 17 Wake Forest has been canceled due to COVID-19 issues within the A&M program. The Aggies will officially conclude the 2021 season with an 8-4 record.

The Gator Bowl is currently searching for a replacement and is officially the first bowl of the 2021-2022 bowl season to be affected by this wave of COVID-19. Sports Illustrated’s Ross Dellenger was the first to report the news.

It is unclear exactly how many Aggies have been put into COVID-19 protocols, but combined with opt-outs and other injuries, the Maroon & White have apparently fallen below the threshold required to travel and participate in a bowl game.

The cancelation is a disappointing end to what was a somewhat disappointing 2021 campaign. Aside from an upset of No. 1 Alabama on October 9, the Aggies largely underachieved coming off a 9-1 season in 2020, a year that also featured a cancelation due to COVID-19. Texas A&M entered the season with national championship aspirations, but an injury to starting quarterback Haynes King and subsequent losses to Arkansas and Mississippi State derailed those hopes. Still, the Aggies appeared to be positioned for a second-consecutive New Year’s Six Bowl berth as late as November, but losses to Ole Miss and LSU ruined those chances.

The Aggies still were awarded a trip to a Florida bowl game, the program’s third in four years, with the opportunity to face ACC runner-up Wake Forest in Jacksonville on New Year’s Eve. However, that will no longer happen.

Since the conclusion of the regular season, quarterback Zach Calzada (who started A&M’s final 10 games) entered the transfer portal. Defensive lineman DeMarvin Leal, a projected first-round pick, declared for the NFL Draft. Tight end Jalen Wydermyer, running back Isaiah Spiller, defensive lineman Jayden Peevy, safety Leon O’Neal Jr. and tackle Kenyon Green have also followed suit and were expected to skip the postseason contest.

With the cancelation, the Aggies will not play in a bowl game for the first time since 2008 when they went 4-8 in Mike Sherman’s first year at the helm.

Discussion from...

Texas A&M unable to play in 2021 Gator Bowl due to COVID-19 issues

46,761 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AgBQ-00
GingerAvenger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pretty ironic on the 100th Anniversary of the story of the 12th man that we can't find enough players to play in a bowl game… smh
Hornbeck
GingerAvenger said:

Pretty ironic on the 100th Anniversary of the story of the 12th man that we can't find enough players to play in a bowl game… smh

No one's going to make fun of us for that. Certainly not ESiPN
aTm2004
AG
alamogeorge said:

They could've taken the proper precautions to not catch the virus. They do have science classes and rational thinking exercises at A&M still, right? Another case of not thinking about the consequences whether you agree with the policies or not.

This stupid post is satire, right?
94 Aggie
ssssssssssssss
Class of 94. We never lost at Kyle Field!
SA-AG72
AG
Hornbeck said:

GingerAvenger said:

No one's going to make fun of us for that. Certainly not ESiPN

Social media hammering us for exactly that.
LetsActLikeAnSECSchool
AG
This is such a blessing. After this recruiting class the program has all the momentum. Nothing would kill credibility like getting blown out by a ACC school.
JimAggie
AG
Ugly said:

W said:

JimAggie said:

I'm so glad we aren't playing. Really didn't want an 8-5 season. Walk-on QB, best OL, RB, DL, and DE gone...and if you watched the South Carolina game, you saw how 'well' the backups play.
and 2 other factors...

1. Wake does not have any opt outs. They would be at full strength.

2. The Florida disaster in the Cotton Bowl last year. That game has terrified programs
I'm okay with being in a blowout if we get to field an all-12th man team.
I was VERY disappointed when RC nerfed it down to just one player.
Jawbreaker
kheincho said:

Hornbeck said:

"Home of the 12th Man"*

* just kidding… not really….

So does A&M have to relinquish their claims to the 12th man after this?
No.
Why ask even in jest?
"O' Son of dust, who can make these bones dance again?"
The Agly Duckling
Man, this frickin' sucks.

I was soooooo looking forward to seeing this damn game.

Just very disappointed.

Masks and physical distancing . . . . come on, man. I'm vaxxed and I still follow these advisories because I don't want to get some of my friends sick who aren't vaxxed. Frickin' disappointing as hell.
Sterling82
I can't believe some people are glad it's cancelled because they're afraid we'll get blown out. WEAK! I bet Bost was looking forward to getting the start and showing what he can do...because he's a competitor. Same as LJ, Daniels and others. Unlike the brilliant posters who just feel like it was a waste of time to begin with.
BaileyAg
AG
No balls
TxAg82/86
AG
I hope it was NCAA. Embarrassing if Texas A&M QUIT because of COVID
BeastmodeAg
AG
Ruined our bowl game streak
agwrestler
AG
If we're top 4 playing later in the day, this decision is to play. #midtierbowlgamesdontmatter
AggieBlu
AG
Sorry for the team who were looking forward to competing one last time.
I will never understand how someone can tell so many lies and not feel bad about it...
Birdseye
JMC94
Curious if they have canceled practice too and done for the year.
SinKiller
TyperWoods
It is unclear exactly how many Aggies have been put into COVID-19 protocols, but combined with opt-outs and other injuries, the Maroon & White have apparently fallen below the threshold required to travel and participate in a bowl game.

There was no decision to be made. Idiots.
dcg4403
AG
JimAggie said:

I'm so glad we aren't playing. Really didn't want an 8-5 season. Walk-on QB, best OL, RB, DL, and DE gone...and if you watched the South Carolina game, you saw how 'well' the backups play.

This is a LOSERS mentality. I sure as hell wanted to play and show the world talent from our 2nd and 3rd string youth. Loss or not. Much rather have played and given some of these kids the opportunity to display their talents and transition into next year with the excitement from participating in a bowl game.

And I don't believe we would have lost...regardless.
el_guapo
realag76 said:

You are kidding about them being able to avoid the virus, right? They are face to face in close proximity on the field. Did you want them to wear a mask 24/7? And have you seen that the mask is not as effective against omicron?

I think that was meant as sarcasm. Nobody is that dumb
aTm2004
AG
el_guapo said:

realag76 said:

You are kidding about them being able to avoid the virus, right? They are face to face in close proximity on the field. Did you want them to wear a mask 24/7? And have you seen that the mask is not as effective against omicron?

I think that was meant as sarcasm. Nobody is that dumb

Should venture over to the COVIDian board. You'll change your mind real quick.
aggiewoodie
AG
To be fair, what evidence do you have that proper precautions were not taken by the team? My u/s is most are vaccinated, they're requiring masking in a lot of situations, etc. This omicron variant, while, thankfully, likely less deadly than others, is incredibly transmissible, even through groups of mostly vaccinated people.
Bjohnson91
I am extremely disappointed. Bunch of quitters! We are the 12th man! Where is the honor? Yeah I get it, we have no quarterback, short a running back and a tight end. Who cares if we get outscored. Play for the honor and the Aggie Spirit!

Such a BAD DECISION!
BryanAgFan
WTS 4 Gator Bowl Tickers section 103 row T and parking pass …. $140 for all

Text 8one7 two35 045one
Jfcmoore
This is my first and likely last post on this forum. I'm class of 80, my wife 78. All four of our children are graduates. My wife's dad and three brothers are all class of 45. I can't list all the nieces and nephews. Never, never have I been ashamed of my university until our coach and AD pull us out of the bowl game. IMO, the 12th man died this week and these two killed him. I just cannot believe there were not players on the practice squad that would have loved to represent our university. Yes, we might have lost the game. Big deal. I feel we lost much, much more in respect and credibility by not playing. I have never called for a coach to be let go in all the years I have watched A&M - regardless of the win/loss record. But this is different. I wish I had the power to replace our coach and AD with someone who cares about A&M.
FriendlyAg
Jfcmoore said:

This is my first and likely last post on this forum. I'm class of 80, my wife 78. All four of our children are graduates. My wife's dad and three brothers are all class of 45. I can't list all the nieces and nephews. Never, never have I been ashamed of my university until our coach and AD pull us out of the bowl game. IMO, the 12th man died this week and these two killed him. I just cannot believe there were not players on the practice squad that would have loved to represent our university. Yes, we might have lost the game. Big deal. I feel we lost much, much more in respect and credibility by not playing. I have never called for a coach to be let go in all the years I have watched A&M - regardless of the win/loss record. But this is different. I wish I had the power to replace our coach and AD with someone who cares about A&M.
This is an overreaction
Jfcmoore
Yeah, probably so. I spent the day having to listen to a bunch of non-ags criticizing my school and I could not in all honesty disagree with what most were saying. Normally, aggie naysayers don't bother me (I have listened to it for many years) but this decision to not play and at least try to compete was unforgivable IMO.
Ags77
AG
Jfcmoore said:

C YA
aTm2004
AG
Jfcmoore said:

I know your wife has probably hit menopause, but she should still be able to help you replace that tampon.

Here's the thing. When the 12th Man was born, football players were just normal college kids. Today, they're elite athletes who are pretty much purpose built to be the best they can in the position they play. Even at Wake. Even practice squad guys aren't on the same level.
Bottlehead90
AG
Lots of rookies are really concerned about this bowl decision

Go figure
KS80537
We'd probably lose, so don't play?
aTm2004
AG
No. Someone would probably get hurt.
AgBQ-00
AG
The vaginal bleeding about this is ridiculous. Get over yourself. The protocols said we can't go so at least we gave them a chance to find a replacement.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.