Story Poster
Photo by Justin Schoenemann

Early Signing Day didn't disappoint: A&M on track for best class in history

December 15, 2021

The farmers have begun harvesting a bumper crop.

Texas A&M on Wednesday began accumulating what projects as a historic recruiting class on Wednesday’s beginning of the Early Signing Period.

The class will be completed on the final National Signing Day in February.

“The day has gone very well,” said Texas A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher. “I think we’ve hit a lot of needs and what we want to do with a lot of great players and difference makers.”

The Aggies signed 25 recruits, including 13 that listed among the nation’s Top 100 as rated by recruiting service 247 Sports.

Those players included five-star rated defensive linemen Walter Nolen‍ of Powell, Tenn., Gabriel Brownlow-Dindy‍ of Lakeland, Fla. and Anthony Lucas‍ of Scottsdale, Az. and Bridgeland quarterback Conner Weigman‍. Verbally committed five-star receiver Evan Stewart‍ of Frisco Liberty still has not signed.

Walker Lott, TexAgs
The Aggies’ 2022 class contains three of the 10 highest-rated players in A&M recruiting history. 

Also, among the Top 100 are four-star rated defensive end/linebacker Enai White‍ of Philadelphia, Beaumont West Brook safety Bryce Anderson‍, offensive linemen Kam Dewberry‍ of Atascocita and PJ Williams‍ of Dickinson. Also, Fort Bend Marshall receiver Chris Marshall‍, Georgia cornerbacks Deyon Bouie‍ and Marquis Groves-Killebrew, Louisiana running back LeVeon Moss‍, Katy defensive end Malick Sylla‍ and Georgia four-star tight end Jake Johnson‍, who was once committed to LSU. 

National recruiting analysts said the Aggies have the potential to finish with the nation’s No. 1 class.

“The Aggies have a great shot at finishing with their first-ever No. 1 recruiting list,” said On3.com’s Senior Recruiting Editor Jeremy Crabtree, a long-time recruiting analyst. “There are stars everywhere and a five-star quarterback to lead the way.

“But what I especially love is the defensive class. Walter Nolen is the type of immediate impact player that could wreck offensive lines in the SEC. Then when you add Brownlow-Dindy, Deyon Bouie and others. It’s going to be a class they talk about for decades in Aggieland.”

It’s A&M’s fourth straight top-ten class — a program first — and is trending to be the best class ever signed by the Aggies. Still, Fisher was hesitant to call it a ‘program-changing’ class.

“Like young hunting dogs,” Fisher said. “They’re all great and have a great pedigree. Can they hunt? We got to go find out and see them hunt.”

A&M’s previous best class was the 2019 class, which was ranked third or fourth, depending on the recruiting service. That group was highlighted by five-star offensive lineman Kenyon Green‍ and five-star defensive end DeMarvin Leal‍ as well as four-star running back Isaiah Spiller‍ and four-star tight end Jalen Wydermyer‍.

This class was anchored by an amazing group of defensive linemen.

Nolen and Brownlow-Dindy are rated by ESPN as the No. 1 and No. 4 prospects in the nation at any position. The Aggies are also in contention for Florida defensive end Shemar Stewart‍, who is ranked No. 3 overall by ESPN and has indicated he will sign in February.

The Aggies’ defensive line haul also includes Sylla and Argyle defensive lineman Jadon Scarlett‍.

A&M also needed to continue to bolster its offensive line. Fisher did that with the additions of Dickinson’s PJ Williams, Haslet’s Hunter Erb‍, Mark Nabou of Seattle and Dewberry. A&M had to fend off Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma and LSU to land Dewberry.

“We will be the No. 1 class in the country. I’m just glad to be able to be a part of it.”
- Aggie OL signee Kam Dewberry

“We will be the No. 1 class in the country,” Dewberry said. “I’m just glad to be able to be a part of it. We’ve got a good group of guys coming in.”

The Aggies also made big additions to boost the passing game. Weigman is the second-rated quarterback prospect in the nation.

The trio of Evan Stewart, Marshall and four-star Noah Thomas‍ is among the nation’s best group of receivers.

There is no better group of tight ends with Johnson, Green and Theodor Melin Öhrström‍, who are all ranked among the top ten.

Johnson is ranked No. 1 and was a surprise signee. He had been previously committed to LSU but reconsidered after its coaching change.

Johnson figures to be part of a package deal with his older brother, Max, who was LSU’s starting quarterback before entering the transfer portal.

Despite an incredible haul on Wednesday, the Aggies — as Fisher says — aren’t done yet.

Discussion from...

Early Signing Day didn't disappoint: A&M on track for best class in history

19,166 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by The Agly Duckling
LatinAggie1997
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WorkTogetherAgs
TAMU74
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
The Professor
Jock92
An L of an Ag
AgBQ-00
agent-maroon
OlArmy12
randy828
AG
Whoop!
I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
el_guapo
"The farmers have begun harvesting a bumper crop" Nice.
sharpdressedman
Ag in ATL
AG
Farmers fight!
MaroonStain
AG
Sow sparingly, reap sparingly; sow bountifully, reap bountifully.

We about that bounty.
aggieland09
ontheway
alanbynum
Charlie 31
Christopherna11
aggieband 83
The Agly Duckling
MaroonStain said:

Sow sparingly, reap sparingly; sow bountifully, reap bountifully.

We about that bounty.
Bounty Hunters.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.