Story Poster
Photo by Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Texas A&M quarterback Zach Calzada enters the transfer portal

December 13, 2021

Quarterback Zach Calzada has entered the transfer portal and will not play in Texas A&M’s Gator Bowl clash with Wake Forest.

There has been no indication as to which program Calzada intends to transfer.

Calzada’s decision likely means walk-on freshman Blake Bost will start in the Gator Bowl. Bost has completed 2-of-7 passes for 18 yards.

Texas A&M coach Jimbo Fisher recently said former starter Haynes King, who missed most of the season with a broken leg, is not likely to play in the Gator Bowl.

The transfer will conclude an inconsistent year for the third-year sophomore from Sugar Hill, Ga.

Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Bost is expected to start the Gator Bowl.

Calzada passed for 2,185 yards and 17 touchdowns but threw nine interceptions while completing 56.1 percent of his passing attempts.

He may be remembered most by Aggies for an amazing performance in a 41-38 victory over Alabama. He completed 21-of-31 passes for 285 yards and three touchdowns.

In the last five minutes, he directed the Aggies on scoring drives for a touchdown and a walk-off field goal.

However, that was a high point in an otherwise mediocre season.

Calzada was originally beaten out for the starting quarterback competition by King in August camp. However, King was injured in the second game of the season against Colorado.

That forced Calzada into the lineup. He struggled most of that game but managed to lead the Aggies to a 10-7 victory when he lofted a touchdown pass to Isaiah Spiller with just over two minutes remaining.

He later struggled in losses to Arkansas and Mississippi State and threw two fourth-quarter interceptions — including a pick-six — in a 29-19 loss to Ole Miss.

Calzada’s decision to transfer rekindles memories of the 2015 season when quarterbacks Kyler Murray and Kyle Allen both announced plans to transfer in early December. That resulted in Jake Hubenak starting a 27-21 loss to Louisville in the Music City Bowl. Hubenak passed for 307 yards and two touchdowns in that loss.

Discussion from...

Texas A&M quarterback Zach Calzada enters the transfer portal

84,062 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Chester
AggieDub14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is what happens when bad fans use social media to attack 20 year olds. Good luck to him and I hope the jack***es learn a lesson here.
TyperWoods
Best wishes Zack. Thank you for your efforts this past season.
TyperWoods
AggieDub14 said:

This is what happens when bad fans use social media to attack 20 year olds. Good luck to him and I hope the jack***es learn a lesson here.

Agree
ElkoSZN
AG
Good luck Zachy boy. Thanks for the memories and everything you have to Aggieland!
E-1_97_Guy
AG
Best of luck to Zach! Will be rooting him on and will never forget the Alabama game!
TAMU74
AG
I'm surprised by the timing of this by Zack but, not surprised he's doing it.
Good luck young man in your future endeavors.
Appreciate what you did this year as I know it was tough.
I wonder if he discussed his future with Jimbo and they came to a mutual agreement on his departure?
MaroonGoons2020
AG
Why is he entering now? Play the last game. Leave with a win.
AggieBlu
AG
So walk-on QB plays in the bowl game? Bring it on!!!
I will never understand how someone can tell so many lies and not feel bad about it...
The Agly Duckling
Damn. In my opinion - and I've stated this here on TexAgs many times - he has NFL potential. I almost can't believe he's leaving, unless it's because enough a-hole fans mistreated him on social media.

Bullcrap. He did not deserve to catch flak. He always did the best he could and he improved drastically over the course of the season.

Blake Bost needs everybody's support. Let's go.
Caleb12
The scoop is he and his GF broke up. Combine that with having to get surgery on his injuries and not having a real shot at the starting job in the spring… this is what you get.

He wasn't going to be available for the bowl game regardless, he got surgery recently.
DayAg!
S
Didn't see that comin but don't really blame him. Bunch of folks said a lot that wasn't called for. Me included. Just goes to show you what you say on here makes a difference sometimes.
SEC Champs
AG
NM
DimebagsGhost
AG
AggieDub14 said:

This is what happens when a backup QB has a pretty good year and knows that he will not be the starter next season so he is transferring now to see if he can get a better place to play next season. If he waits until after the season (post bowl game), there may not be any spots left on the team or teams he is looking at.

Not sure why this is any kind of surprise and Im pretty sure this kid's skin is a bit more thick to where he would let a bunch of dumbass fans make him transfer.

Some of you all think the fans have too much influence. This kid is doing what is right for him, not avoiding critical fans...

Some people cant seem to think critically -- unfortunately it is most of the loudest posters on this site
MagnumLoad
Stay off social media. But the surgery, King and Weigman were most likely the real reasons.
AggieDub14
AG
DimebagsGhost said:

AggieDub14 said:

This is what happens when a backup QB has a pretty good year and knows that he will not be the starter next season so he is transferring now to see if he can get a better place to play next season. If he waits until after the season (post bowl game), there may not be any spots left on the team or teams he is looking at.

Not sure why this is any kind of surprise and Im pretty sure this kid's skin is a bit more thick to where he would let a bunch of dumbass fans make him transfer.

Some of you all think the fans have too much influence. This kid is doing what is right for him, not avoiding critical fans...

Some people cant seem to think critically -- unfortunately it is most of the loudest posters on this site

If what you say is true, he would transfer after the bowl game right?
TopoTacos
AG
He got such uncalled for hate, both on here and other social media.

Sours what otherwise was a story of a guy giving his all for the team this year. Wish him the best and hope he lands in a program where he can shine.
harge57
AG
The Agly Duckling said:

Damn. In my opinion - and I've stated this here on TexAgs many times - he has NFL potential. I almost can't believe he's leaving, unless it's because enough a-hole fans mistreated him on social media.

Bullcrap. He did not deserve to catch flak. He always did the best he could and he improved drastically over the course of the season.

Blake Bost needs everybody's support. Let's go.

He will never be better than a 60% completion QB.
Tough kid. Extremely mediocre.
Agijud
AG
I thank Zach for his efforts and heart. He will do ell for another team.

But to blame his transfer on fans being rough on him is like blaming tornadoes on Republicans for not supporting climate change. He was not selected as the initial starter for a reason, and Weigman coming in is just going to put another roadblock in his path. I believe that Jimbo likely had a heart to heart with him and they decided this is his best option to get playing time and further development. Zach seems like a great young man with a ton of heart, but he was not going to be A&Ms future at QB.
He's an Aggie and always will be, and for that we wish him nothing but greatness.
JonnieUtah
AG
Please go to LSU
Gig Em Hard
JCO 90'
AG
Best of luck in your future endeavors, Zach!

I'm a little surprised he's not playing in the bowl game. I hope Bost is ready.

I wonder if Jimbo will run some plays out of the wildcat formation? Or if we'll see a little bit more of King than anticipated?
TAMU74
AG
MagnumLoad said:

Stay off social media. But the surgery, King and Weigman were most likely the real reasons.
Agree 1000%
1. Get the hell off of social media.
2. I posted this earlier and suspect Zack and Jimbo had a heart-to-heart discussion regarding his future at A&M playing quarterback.
3. There also could've been other factors that we don't know about that influence the decision.

Good luck Zack in your future pursuits.
Sterling82
I would hope this decision wasn't based on mean tweets from a few idiot fans (assuming they were even fans). What reeks though, is abandoning teammates that supported him when he was struggling. I guess he wants to find a place where he can go through spring practice but this type thing is the worst of college football.
El Capitan
AG
So… Do we see King in Gator Bowl?
Duckslayer15
AG
Looks like we have us our own Cuban Missile Crisis
japantiger
S
Surgery?
Jarrin' Jay
AG
I don't mind it but the timing is a killer and erases any goodwill for his Ws over Bama and Auburn and toughness.

Can't wait 18 days and play one more game?!?!?

Unless King is 1000% don't play him in the bowl game. It'll be what it'll be, likely an L but so be it.
aggeeme
Well he better toughen up because criticism is going to be everywhere. With or without football. Go cry to your mommy.
Just Tired
AggieDub14 said:

wasn't pretty but a guy mentally weak enough to be affected by that (if that's his reason for xp) wouldn't be the qb1 to lead this team to a championship.
Just Tired
Duckslayer15 said:

Looks like we have us our own Cuban Missile Crisis

this is actually the ship turning around and the end of it.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Does he transfer to OU and win the Heisman?
TxAg76
AG
TyperWoods said:

AggieDub14 said:

Agree

Oh hell no.
The bigger the stage, the more heat he should EXPECT.
If any kind of social media reactions, good or bad, played into his decision, that doesn't bode well for him and his decision making.
ChrisS
best comment so far
AgBQ-00
AG
Much respect to you Zach. Having dealt with shoulder issues myself, I know playing with that injury sucks! Couple that with the knee and you have nothing but respect from me with the heart you showed this year. Wish the best for you going forward.
Papa Joe
AG
Will be rooting for Zach Calzada wherever he plays EXCEPT if he plays against the Aggies!
Tough trying to meet very high expectations in the tough SEC.
He will do better in the ACC or other conferences.
Good luck Zach Calzada!
A New Hope
AggieDub14 said:

Oh yeah..that's the reason. Sure thing, wherever he ends out, the fans there won't ride him when he sucks. Got it.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.