Story Poster
Photo by Rey Romo, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Mike Elko expected to be Duke's head coach after four years as A&M's DC

December 10, 2021

Mike Elko, who transformed a mediocre Texas A&M defense into one of the best in the nation, is expected to accept the head coach position at Duke University, first reported by Pete Thamel.

He’ll replace David Cutcliffe, who stepped down on Nov. 28 following the Blue Devils’ 3-9 finish.

Elko, 44, came to Texas A&M in 2018 after spending three seasons as defensive coordinator at Wake Forest and the 2017 campaign at Notre Dame.

In one year in South Bend, Elko's defense allowed an average of 21.5 points to rank 31st in the nation, a significant improvement for a unit that allowed 27.8 points to rank 61st in 2016.

Mike Elko, who transformed a mediocre Texas A&M defense into one of the best in the nation, is expected to accept the head coach position at Duke University, first reported by Pete Thamel.

The Fighting Irish also reduced their yardage allowed to 369.2 from 378.8.

He inherited a defensive unit that allowed an average of 408.5 yards to rank 78th in the nation in total defense. The 2017 Aggies also allowed an average of 30.7 points to rank 87th in scoring defense.

The Aggies defense made immediate and dramatic improvement under Elko.

In Elko’s first season in College Station, Texas A&M averaged 25.3 points allowed to rank 47th in scoring defense and 348.4 yards to rank 32nd in total defense.

There was a steady trend of improvement in his three following seasons.

In 2019, the Aggies allowed an average of 22.5 points and 340.2 yards.

The Aggies reduced those numbers in their 9-1 campaign in 2020. They allowed 21.7 points and 317.3 yards, which ranked ninth in the country.

So far this season, the Aggies have an average of 15.9 points to rank third in the country and 327.5 yards to rank 20th.

The loss of Elko raises more questions than who will be his replacement.

The larger short-term concern is how his departure will affect the A&M recruiting class, which could be the best in the nation.

Thus far, ten of their commitments are defensive players, including five-star prospects Walter Nolen‍ and Gabriel Brownlow-Dindy‍, as well as four-stars Bryce Anderson‍, Deyon Bouie‍, Malick Sylla‍, Bobby Taylor‍, Martrell Harris‍, Ish Harris‍ and Jarred Kerr‍.

Discussion from...

Mike Elko expected to be Duke's head coach after four years as A&M's DC

14,663 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by sharpdressedman
MR Gadsden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nooooo
rondis23
AG
Hopefully we can get him back in a few years.
CrottyKid
AG
Nooooooooooo!
SamHou
Makes no sense. That is a dead end job
Bthrutch
You have to assume Jimbo has been preparing for this and has a succession plan ready to go…. I would not expect much of a delay in announcing a new DC!
WC94
AG
SamHou said:

Makes no sense. That is a dead end job

Double secret agent boosters overpaying to try and stop our momentum. Won't happen!
Cojack
Dirty Rat *******s!
merch
Figures. Aggies set to have best recruiting class ever and then this…how many guys does this impact?
Nothing looks more foolish than tradition to those who have none.
jnbii
I'm guessing Saban arranged a donation from the student fund to make this happen in such a timely fashion? And if you ever mention extortion again…
TAMU74
AG
Is this official?
AG
It's about to be
OldCorpsTerd86
AG
Ok - someone needs to tell me how to poop slap myself. I.was.very.wrong.
jb 00
Good luck Coach!!!

Thanks for the great memories.

We will be pulling for you to upset the new ACC!!!!
12mn95
AG
I guess that explains that "personal matter" he has to tend to when everyone but him showed up to a recruit's house this week...
tamc91
AG
I wish him the best, since he turned our defense around.

However, if he stayed with the 2021-2022 classes, we are a playoff team and high potential for an NC. He could name his place and price. Duke seems like an odd fit and impatience may not work in his favor
strbrst777
Not to worry. It's been known for a while that he was destined to soon be a head coach. I doubt if a single D commit really believed that he would be DC for more than one year...or two at most.
northeastag
AG
He seems like such a hot commodity, I'm surprised he couldn't land a better gig.

Oh well, good luck and thanks for bringing back fierce defenses to A&M.
RAB83
AG
So who can we get? Is Gary Patterson a possibility?
sharpdressedman
Good luck, Coach. Chase your dream. Thanks for your efforts in Aggieland.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.