Story Poster
Texas A&M Football Recruiting

Recruiting Country: The latest recruiting news surrounding the Maroon & White

November 24, 2021

Key notes from Recruiting Country

• Conner Weigman‍ had an 89-yard run to seal the deal for Bridgeland vs. College Park. I posted that video, and it’s incredible.

• The visitor list vs. Prairie View included Harold Perkins‍, Kiyaunta Goodwin‍, Kelvin Banks‍, Weigman and Denver Harris‍. Five five-stars. Theodor Melin Öhrström‍ was on an OV, as was Goodwin. Did you see the pictures of Goodwin? He’s block-out-the-sun big. It’s incredible. There is no such thing as a “throwaway” recruiting weekend. We’re just a couple of weeks away from the early signing period. A buddy of mine was asking what A&M could do in this last month. They could get seven five-stars in this class. Do I think it will happen? No, but nobody is in a better spot than A&M.

• Things in the region that will happen: Texas is going to get a couple of guys. They always have. Watch who LSU hires because that will impact Perkins, Denver Harris and Jacoby Mathews‍. For better or worse, that will affect where A&M stands in those recruitments. Still, A&M has been in Perkins’ recruitment for a long time, and that will keep A&M in it up until Harold makes a decision.

• You had to get Kelvin Banks on campus. They had to get him to a game. He didn’t show up to the Auburn game and went to Texas the following week. He showed up for an 11 a.m. kick the morning after playing a playoff game. That’s huge.

• A good source told me there wasn’t a guy on campus that A&M cannot sign. A&M will have a chance to sign every one of those guys on campus, and with three weeks left before signing day, that needs to be the theme.

• Texas Filmworks put out an excellent video for Deyon Bouie‍, and he had some great quotes about the recruiting class and its impact. He spoke about landing Walter Nolen‍ and Chris Marshall‍ on the same day. To have the continuity with Bouie and Nolen is huge. Nolen also hinted at additions to this recruiting class.

• I’ve heard that Scott Woodward is calling some recruits and telling them that they’ll be pleased with the LSU hire. That message is to not make a decision and to wait to see what they do. With what kind of program LSU is, I think they will be afforded that luxury. That LSU hire will impact what kind of close A&M makes to this recruiting class.

• A&M will have their final weekend to get as many guys in on Dec. 10, and it sounds like the response to that has been good so far. All of the commits that haven’t taken their OVs will take them that weekend. The class will be here for the final time together before signing day.

• Perkins is just a phenomenal athlete. I have not covered a prospect like him that can do so many things at the highest level in the SEC. He could play safety, linebacker, receiver, running back or return kicks. He is just a freak of an athlete.

• On defense, I feel the best about Jacoby Mathews. Again, it’s going to be determined by that LSU hire. Maybe it’s a guy like Enai White‍ out of Philadelphia. He’s in that four-to-five-star range like Bryce Anderson‍. Offensively, I probably feel the best about Mark Nabou‍, but you’re still looking at Kelvin Ban‍ks, Kam Dewberry‍ and Evan Stewart‍.

• Jimbo Fisher being your head coach should quell most of the concerns regarding the LSU hire. There have been so many names floated, and we still don’t know who it will be. Lincoln Riley does not seem like a fit there, and he has not done well against the SEC. You have to recruit in this conference. You don’t get a month to prepare in this league, and he was getting that but still losing.
Discussion from...

Recruiting Country: The latest recruiting news surrounding the Maroon & White

12,838 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 4
TMF
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"They'll be pleased "?? If Woodard is so sure then make the hire now, unless he keeps striking out.
5 4
S
The only one that concerns me is Dave Aranda, in terms of LSU landing Harris, Perkins, and Matthews.
TAMU74
AG
Jimbo ain't worried about what LSU or anyone else does for a hire.
In his heart of hearts he knows he's sitting on a gold mine at A&M.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
TMF said:

"They'll be pleased "?? If Woodard is so sure then make the hire now, unless he keeps striking out.

It's what he has to say when every coach he's talked to has gotten a lock'em up extension. This is the AD equivalent of Sark mouthing after his seventh loss. At home. To Kansas.
sharpdressedman
I see no need for Woodward's secrecy unless the hire is another very prominent HC who wants no distraction before the final regular season game. It appears lsu is courting at least its second, third. or fourth choice.

If the announcement does not come on Sunday, Woodward is bluffing and approaching desperation.

Just guessing.
AGC
AG
5 4 said:

The only one that concerns me is Dave Aranda, in terms of LSU landing Harris, Perkins, and Matthews.

Baylor insiders think a big extension is coming soon.
dcg4403
AG
I keep hearing Riley is a done deal. But of course can't name any sources not do I claim to have any insider information.

Riley makes sense to me. Why? If you are going to SEC anyway, why not get a jump start with a proven SEC team with very good SEC players? Makes logical sense outside of Aranda. I would not consider Aranda a splash hire for Scott. But he is the most likely to win in the SEC.
Ags77
AG
Ryan, I am hearing very strongly that Riley is going to Lsu. Is there an OU commit that we could possibly flip with OU losing their coach ?
Jevertson
AG
That would be a huge gut punch. Agree to go to the sec only to have your coach go a few years before you?
NewEra2023
AG
I really would like to land Harold Perkins. He's my favorite out of all the recruits.
I'm worried since he's a La native but we'll see what happens
bv86ag
AG
I don't see how at this point any of these guys would be waiting on committing to Lincoln Riley who had consistently LOST EVERY SINGLE PLAYOFF GAME IN HIS CAREER.
The only reason he has even been in the playoff is by rolling up wins in a lame-azz conference and the committee was too stupid to acknowledge that and went with their helmet brand.
Riley should just acknowledge what a easy gig coaching in the Big 12 is and try to stay in the BDF as long as they can to make his record look better.
Woodward should have gone after Urban Meyer.
That's a name everyone in the conference would fear.
TAM85
AG
Ags77 said:

Ryan, I am hearing very strongly that Riley is going to Lsu. Is there an OU commit that we could possibly flip with OU losing their coach ?

Brownloe-Dindy would be top of the list
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.