Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Navigating Texas A&M's path back into the top 10...and beyond?

4,406 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Aggieair
Batty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.goodbullhunting.com/2021/10/28/22744932/navigating-texas-a-m-aggies-path-back-to-the-top-10-and-beyond-college-football-playoff-new-years-6

Navigating Texas A&M's path back into the top 10...and beyond?
"Courage is taking those first few steps toward your dream even if you can't see the path ahead." -My mom's Pinterest board
By Robert Behrens@rcb05 Oct 28, 2021, 8:43am CDT

Your college football team's bye week is a great time to take a step back from the grind of the season and pause for some personal reflection. And by personal reflection, I of course mean doing a week-by-week analysis of what could happen across the sport that could vault your team from afterthought back into the College Football Playoff conversation.
This seemed laughable for Texas A&M just three weeks ago, and many will say it's still laughable now. But with the Aggies on a three-game win streak that includes an upset of Alabama and blowouts of Missouri and South Carolina, A&M running the table to finish 10-2 is possible. A 10-win season likely puts them back in the top 10 nationally and in the running for a second straight New Year's Six bowl. A little more luck (OK, a lot more luck) and help from some other teams, and you could amazingly see this team in the College Football Playoff conversation. And considering we're on a record pace for upsets this season, why shouldn't it continue?
Let's break down how it could happen

So as of this week, the current AP Top 25 has the Aggies ranked No. 14, with the following teams in front of them:
[ol]
  • Georgia
  • Cincinnati
  • Alabama
  • Oklahoma
  • Ohio State
  • Michigan
  • Oregon
  • Michigan State
  • Iowa
  • Ole Miss
  • Notre Dame
  • Kentucky
  • Wake Forest
  • [/ol]So let's go week by week and see who might lose, and who might the Aggies be able to rise above over the next few weeks. And to be clear, this involves A&M winning every game on the rest of their schedule (Auburn, at Ole Miss, Prairie View A&M, at LSU) as a prerequisite.
    Week 9
    No. 6 Michigan loses to No. 8 Michigan State
    This game is in East Lansing, and the Spartans are playing as well as they have in years. Michigan is currently favored, but this would by no means be a shocking result. In fact, Michigan State has won 8 of the last 13 games with the Wolverines, including going 3-3 against Jim Harbaugh.
    No. 9 Iowa loses to Wisconsin
    Not only would this not be shocking, the Badgers are actually favored. Iowa has won mostly on the back of an insanely good turnover margin, which caught up with them two weeks ago against Purdue. If they yet again struggle to get takeaways, they could lose yet again.

RESULT: Aggies move up two spots to No. 12 (#branding)
    Week 10
    No. 10 Kentucky loses to Tennessee
    I don't think anyone has Kentucky going 11-1, and Tennessee may just be the best team left on their schedule. The Volunteers have played some very good teams close, including Ole Miss and Alabama (it was closer than the final score made it appear), and this could be the game where they finally put it all together to get a big win.
    RESULT: Aggies move up one spot to No. 11
    Week 11
    No. 8 Ole Miss loses to No. 11 Texas A&M
    If the Rebels can beat Auburn in Week 9, and the Aggies can do the same in Week 10, it sets up a huge showdown in Oxford, with the winner virtually assured to finish no worse than second in the SEC West, securely in the top 10, and on track for a New Year's Six Bowl or better. A&M being able to say they beat Alabama, and an Ole Miss team whose only other loss was to Alabama, gives them two signature wins that could compete with the resume of any other college football team.
    No. 10 Wake Forest loses to NC State
    Wake has scraped by the past three weeks, and while NC State is no juggernaut, they might be just good enough to knock Wake Forest from the ranks of the unbeatens, and out of A&M's way.
    RESULT: Aggies move up two spots to No. 9
    Week 12
    No. 7 Michigan State loses to No. 5 Ohio State
    Ohio State seems to have found their stride, so them taking down Michigan State at the Horseshoe wouldn't surprise anyone, even if it would shatter the dreams of Spartan fans.
    No. 2 Cincinnati loses to SMU
    Cincy currently has the best chance any Group of Five team has ever had of making the College Football Playoff, but that is seemingly contingent upon them going unbeaten. Standing in their way of that is SMU, who head coach Sonny Dykes also has undefeated and ranked. This would be an upset, especially in Cincinnati, but not necessarily a shocking one.
    RESULT: Aggies move up two spots to No. 7
    Week 13
    Admittedly, this is where the predictions go a bit off the rails. But at this point the Aggies are firmly in the top 10, and a win over a reeling LSU team away from being a lock for a New Year's Six Bowl simply by taking care of their own business and getting some favorable but not all that shocking outcomes along the way. So if all of that has happened, what would we need to happen to see A&M reach the mountain top?
    No. 4 Ohio State loses to Michigan
    Jim Harbaugh has yet to beat Ohio State in his tenure at Michigan, but what better time to do it than at The Big House in one of the craziest, most unpredictable years of college football in recent memory?
    No. 3 Oklahoma loses to Oklahoma State
    Once again, the Sooners have owned the Bedlam series for quite a while, but they've also looked more vulnerable in 2021 than at any other time under Lincoln Reilly. It would be an upset, but with the game in Stillwater, it's certainly one that's in the realm of possibility.
    No. 2 Alabama loses to Auburn
    Iron Bowl gonna Iron Bowl. Auburn really has no business winning this game, but this game is almost always closer than it should be, especially games at Jordan Hare. Plus, I really want it to happen.

RESULT: Aggies move up three spots to No. 4, win the SEC West
    Championship Weekend
    No. 1 Georgia loses to No. 4 Texas A&M
    In a de facto Playoff play-In game, the Aggies shock the world and take down the heavy favorite in their conference championship game, just like they did in 1998 against Kansas State. Only this time, thanks to the Playoff system, the Bulldogs are not yet dead. Despite the loss, they still manage to sneak into the Playoff, which consists of:
    • No. 1 Oregon
    • No. 2 Notre Dame
    • No. 3 Texas A&M
    • No. 4 Georgia
    RESULT: The Aggies win their first ever SEC Championship, and enter their first ever College Football Playoff (the first two-loss team to ever qualify) on an eight-game winning streak that includes wins over then-No. 1 Alabama and then-No. 1 Georgia. Sounds totally do-able.

LET'S DO THIS, AGS!

Dream Big or Don't Dream at All!!
    PascalsWager
    AG
    Take an honest look at Georgia's resume. They're relying HARD on Kentucky football to carry their schedule. Kentucky has 4 road games coming up.

Are 9-3 Kentucky, 7-5 Auburn, and 7-5 Clemson really impressing anyone?
    Pigtails
    AG
    I literally started reading. Then scrolling. Then more scrolling. Then attempted to read again. Then said nah
    whytho987654
    ND will not make the playoffs lol
    ColleyvilleAg06
    AG
    Kentucky will lose this weekend. Ole Miss will lose this weekend. Good chance we are #10 on Sunday.

You need to account for possibility of teams passing us (wake or pitt by winning out). A 1 loss Michigan in your scenario is also in over us.
    whytho987654
    ColleyvilleAg06 said:

Kentucky will lose this weekend. Ole Miss will lose this weekend. Good chance we are #10 on Sunday.

You need to account for possibility of teams passing us (wake or pitt by winning out). A 1 loss Michigan in your scenario is also in over us.
    A 1 loss mich is not in over an sec champ who beat bama and uga
    PascalsWager
    AG
    ColleyvilleAg06 said:

Pitt is the looming problem for everyone. Every metric likes them WAY more than their ranking with huge upside. 13th in Sagarin, 9th in SP+, 11th in F+.

The problem for the ACC is that the high talent Florida teams are starting to figure it out. (If I were Dan Mullen I'd worry about that too. )

Wake isn't winning out. They have the most backloaded schedule ever.
    PascalsWager
    AG
    whytho987654 said:

ColleyvilleAg06 said:

1 loss Big 10 champion Michigan is 100% in over us. But in your scenario we'd still probably be in over Notre Dame.
    dannyv
    AG
    You really don't need all of this. Alabama needs to lose to someone (probably Auburn) and we need to win out. A 2-loss SEC champion would make it regardless of what else happens, particularly with wins over Bama and Georgia.
    GAC06
    AG
    In that scenario we would murder ND
    Showstopper
    AG
    So just to make sure I understand correctly, we just kind of skim past the Auburn game because I guess we are so much better than Auburn or whatever, but then we act like Auburn beating Bama is a thing?
    ColleyvilleAg06
    AG
    whytho987654 said:

ColleyvilleAg06 said:

A 1 loss big 10 champ is 100% in. If you don't understand that it really isn't worth getting into a debate about why.

And like others have said - none of this matters. Just need to win out plus have Bama lose. Nothing else matters.

If you want to spend your time on wild scenarios then it should account for how do we get in if Bama doesn't lose in the regular season (hint: it would involve things like a 3 loss Wisconsin winning the big 10, a 3 loss Clemson winning acc, etc.)
    TAM85
    Would any other team in the country have a win over a #1ranked team? If the above plays out we would have two wins over #1 ranked teams. Add in an SEC Championship and we would absolutely be in the CFP, and may well be the odds on favorite to win it all.
    TopoTacos
    AG
    Showstopper said:

So just to make sure I understand correctly, we just kind of skim past the Auburn game because I guess we are so much better than Auburn or whatever, but then we act like Auburn beating Bama is a thing?

The first paragraph mentions that this is all prerequisite with the Ags winning out, and it looking at ways we could jump the ranked teams ahead of us…

But also, if there was ever a year that Auburn would pull some Iron Bowl shenanigans despite being wildly outmatched, it's behind Bo Nix (probably throwing a TD pass to himself on a deflection or some dumb ****)
    PascalsWager
    AG
    TAM85 said:

Would any other team in the country have a win over a #1ranked team? If the above plays out we would have two wins over #1 ranked teams. Add in an SEC Championship and we would absolutely be in the CFP, and may well be the odds on favorite to win it all.
    The only team who would have a win over a #1 ranked team is Stanford in the above scenario.
    Jimbo4win
    AG
    Here is the scenario in far fewer words:

Win out. Bama loses one. Beat Georgia. THERE IS NO WAY THE SEC CHAMP DOES NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFF.
    aggiejim70
    AG
    What is this the 10th or 15th thread we've used to beat this to death.

Let's try something else. What if we win out along with Alabama. Bama plays Georgia and the winner goes to the playoffs. Assuming they both don't make the playoffs, then one goes to the Sugar Bowl. Then there's an elephant in the room, Kentucky. If they win this weekend, they can take it out of gear and coast to an 11-1 record. Would that keep them ahead of us if we finish 10-2. I don't know, but if it does, they get an NY6 bowl. Can four SEC teams go to a NY6 bowl. I could ask that same question about the Big 10 as the math is there for 3 or 4 one loss teams.
    The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
    January 31, 1945
    PascalsWager
    AG
    aggiejim70 said:

What is this the 10th or 15th thread we've used to beat this to death.

Let's try something else. What if we win out along with Alabama. Bama plays Georgia and the winner goes to the playoffs. Assuming they both don't make the playoffs, then one goes to the Sugar Bowl. Then there's an elephant in the room, Kentucky. If they win this weekend, they can take it out of gear and coast to an 11-1 record. Would that keep them ahead of us if we finish 10-2. I don't know, but if it does, they get an NY6 bowl. Can four SEC teams go to a NY6 bowl. I could ask that same question about the Big 10 as the math is there for 3 or 4 one loss teams.
    Right now Kentucky is between 21 and 22 in all the analytic rankings. I'd be shocked if they finish 11-1. Wouldn't be surprised if they go 8-4.

But under your scenario I think Kentucky stays ahead of us and we go to the citrus bowl.
    TX_Aggie37
    AG
    Screw it I'm in.
    NoahAg
    Puff, puff, give.
    Let's go, Brandon!
    greg.w.h
    AG
    TL;DR: win.
    aggiejim70
    AG
    I think we can agree they will have their hands full with MSU, and there's no guarantee after loosing to Georgia, they don't mail it in. If they get by the pirate, what Kentucky victory would be shocking?

Tennessee, Vandy, New Mexico State, Louisville.
    The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
    January 31, 1945
    W
    AG
    it is amazing that in week 9 of the regular season...

so many teams in the top 20 have incredibly unimpressive resumes.

many (like Michigan) have zero quality wins
    Aggieair
    PascalsWager said:

Take an honest look at Georgia's resume. They're relying HARD on Kentucky football to carry their schedule. Kentucky has 4 road games coming up.

Are 9-3 Kentucky, 7-5 Auburn, and 7-5 Clemson really impressing anyone?

Are you comparing our resume to a team that skull-****ed 34-0 another team that beat us convincingly, and has also allowed around 40 points total for the season so far?
    Maroon Flash
    AG
    Much much simpler. Auburn beats Alabama and we continue to win and are SEC champions.
    Aggieair
    Jimbo4win said:

Win out. Bama loses one. Beat Georgia. THERE IS NO WAY THE SEC CHAMP DOES NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFF.

1. 13-0 Michigan
    2. 13-0 Oklahoma
    3. 13-0 Wake Forest
    4. 13-0 Cincinnati

Or swap Michigan State for Michigan. Or tOSU. Or Iowa wins out and the B1G gets 2 one loss teams in.
    agent-maroon
    AG
    W said:

it is amazing that in week 9 of the regular season...

so many teams in the top 20 have incredibly unimpressive resumes.

many (like Michigan) have zero quality wins

Conferences are backloading the schedules to put as many teams in high rankings as possible. Thinking is that the eventual conference champions would have beaten more highly ranked teams so as to have a better chance at a playoff spot.
    No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
    NyAggie
    AG
    PascalsWager said:

whytho987654 said:

ColleyvilleAg06 said:

1 loss Big 10 champion Michigan is 100% in over us. But in your scenario we'd still probably be in over Notre Dame.

Which means we want Ohio st to beat Michigan

Op's scenario does not have a big10 team in it, which is not going to happen this year

Their champ will get in otherwise the best 1 loss big team will get in

They may even get 2 teams in
    Bill Superman
    AG
    Aggieair said:

Jimbo4win said:

1. 13-0 Michigan
    2. 13-0 Oklahoma
    3. 13-0 Wake Forest
    4. 13-0 Cincinnati

Or swap Michigan State for Michigan. Or tOSU. Or Iowa wins out and the B1G gets 2 one loss teams in.

None of them are going 13-0.
    Divining Rod
    Showstopper said:

Honestly, this year Auburn has a better chance of beating Bama at Auburn than us at Kyle. And yes, I know our AU record at Kyle.
    BarnacleBill
    AG
    This is a good write up, but any chance of us making the playoffs went away with the Miss. St. loss.

The lesson I learned from last year is that the committee will cut us NO breaks. To those saying that there is no way that the SEC champ gets left out, I think there are committee members that would love to do just that. If a case can me made for other 1-loss teams (and there will be plenty) they will get the nod over us.

That being said, if the stars align and we win the SEC we would obviously be in a NY6 bowl. Win that we end with a top 5 finish. Pretty impressive considering where we were a few weeks ago.

The expanded playoff can't get here soon enough.
    dannyv
    AG
    BarnacleBill said:

This is a good write up, but any chance of us making the playoffs went away with the Miss. St. loss.

The lesson I learned from last year is that the committee will cut us NO breaks. To those saying that there is no way that the SEC champ gets left out, I think there are committee members that would love to do just that. If a case can me made for other 1-loss teams (and there will be plenty) they will get the nod over us.

That being said, if the stars align and we win the SEC we would obviously be in a NY6 bowl. Win that we end with a top 5 finish. Pretty impressive considering where we were a few weeks ago.

The expanded playoff can't get here soon enough.
    I won't get a chance to prove it to you because Bama probably isn't losing before the SECCG, but I'm right.
    BarnacleBill
    AG
    Believe me, I hope you're right. Last year just destroyed any faith I had in the committee.
    Aggieair
    Bill Superman said:

Aggieair said:

Jimbo4win said:

1. 13-0 Michigan
    2. 13-0 Oklahoma
    3. 13-0 Wake Forest
    4. 13-0 Cincinnati

None of them are going 13-0.

Well I guess because you said it, it must be true then.
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.