Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Does CUSA survive realignment?

4,312 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by StrykerAg
StrykerAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They are now losing 8 of their 14 members to other conferences. In a way they are kind of used to this. I saw that out of 28 total members they have had, 18 have left to the Big East/American including 6 that are leaving soon. 2 are going to the Sun Belt now. 1 went to the Atlantic 10 and TCU went MWC before landing in the Big 12.

The 6 left currently holding the bag are UTEP, La Tech, WKU, FIU, Marshall, and Middle Tennessee. Do those schools find other homes? Does the CUSA bring in FCS programs to fill the void and stay afloat?

The Sun Belt expands to 14 adding Mississippi and Virginia to their footprint, which now looks like SEC Lite.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
Merge with the big 12 to strengthen the conference?
TnAg23
AG
they don't
PascalsWager
AG
If you have to go down the list and brand yourself Florida International University, you probably shouldn't have a football team. And if you insist on it, do the honorable thing and go play D2. Not FCS, D2.
rootube
AG
Let's see fourteen minus eight equals…. Oh yea I just remembered I don't care.
gigemags-99
AG
StrykerAg
AG
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

Merge with the big 12 to strengthen the conference?
2-4 of them maybe to bring the Big 12 to 14 or 16. I could see La Tech, and FIU to give the conference a presence in Louisiana and Florida, recruiting hotbeds.

Edit: Oh wait they are already adding UCF. Sorry, Panthers. Come on down, Blue Raiders. Meet the Red Raiders!
StrykerAg
AG
rootube said:

You have a habit of clicking on and replying to topics you "don't care" about
AG
The big 12 won't be P5 conference for long.
rootube
AG
StrykerAg said:

rootube said:

Here's a quick test to determine your level of interest. Name four of the six remaining teams without looking them up.
StrykerAg
AG
rootube said:

StrykerAg said:

rootube said:

Here's a quick test to determine your level of interest. Name four of the six remaining teams without looking them up.

Considering I listed them in OP and don't suffer from Alzheimer's that is kind of pointless. It also has nothing to do with you "not caring" about CUSA, but clicking on a thread with CUSA in the title and typing a reply.
Divining Rod
On the bright side, they can legitimately claim they're the "Mother of all conferences!"
rootube
AG
StrykerAg said:

rootube said:

StrykerAg said:

rootube said:

Considering I listed them in OP and don't suffer from Alzheimer's that is kind of pointless. It also has nothing to do with you "not caring" about CUSA, but clicking on a thread with CUSA in the title and typing a reply.

My credentials for not caring about the CUSA are pretty unassailable. I have not watched a single game all year and I am pretty sure I've never seen a few of the CUSA leftovers play ever. I have been accused of having dementia so you may come back and hit me with Kent St. is a founding member of the CUSA . In which case I would say it's not nice to make fun of the elderly.

This thread, on the other hand, I'm fascinated with.
Artimus Gordon
Those 6 teams might as well latch on to the Big12. That will give them eighteen Bringing in two schools from the same state doesn't seem to matter anymore. Especially in Florida where a b12 conference game could grab some media attention. May even water down the talent in florida too! Disgruntled FSU, Fla, Miami athletes could portal right over to FIU & UCF And be a big fish in a little pond! The Big12 should expand into as many states as it can and at least have a presence!
Ag Tag
Artimus Gordon said:

Those 6 teams might as well latch on to the Big12. That will give them eighteen Bringing in two schools from the same state doesn't seem to matter anymore. Especially in Florida where a b12 conference game could grab some media attention. May even water down the talent in florida too! Disgruntled FSU, Fla, Miami athletes could portal right over to FIU & UCF And be a big fish in a little pond! The Big12 should expand into as many states as it can and at least have a presence!

They should try to be the first conference to have a team from all 50 states.
bv86ag
AG
I thought ESipn wrote couple articles saying Sun Belt is not quite done as they will take Marshall, Old Dominion and current FCS James Madison.
The Sun Belt, while not exactly the SEC, Is at least being proactive and not sitting around getting picked apart.
They actually have a couple of good teams right now in Appalachian St and Coastal Carolina and they have a good regional expansion strategy.
Good for them. Maybe the SEC could make a OOC regional deal with Sun Belt that could assure closer travel and less expenses for both teams and maybe make a little more money for the Sun Belt teams.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Other than maybe the Mountain West, G5 conferences are marriages of convenience. There is little continuity or loyalty.

If CUSA folds, the members will just form a new conference.

Eventually, there will be sufficient budget shortfall that a bunch of G5's will have to drop down or cancel football.
greg.w.h
AG
So follow the bouncing ball: AAC reached out to several MWC schools who chose to wait to see if the Big 12 will directly add them. MAC hasn't been mentioned yet. C-USA can look at the six remaining independents but ND really isn't in play. That leaves Liberty, Army, UMass, NMSU, and UConn in current standings order. I'd argue stretching to the Mountain Time Zone seems a stretch if UTEP wasn't already in the conference.

I don't see MAC teams promoting yet, but two best might be enticing if anyone can figure out who that is…I don't think C-USA moves up to MWC. But if they lose teams the MWC could soak up some western teams.

I think C-USA could get back to 10 at least. And I'll note that afaik that's all the current FBS conferences.
Little Rock Ag
AG
Eventually, I think we'll see a couple of national mega-conferences that will stabilize college football and put an end to the constant shuffling and realignment we've seen these past few years. This will also coincide with the end of the NCAA's oversight of major college football.
StrykerAg
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Other than maybe the Mountain West, G5 conferences are marriages of convenience. There is little continuity or loyalty.

Eventually, there will be sufficient budget shortfall that a bunch of G5's will have to drop down or cancel football.

Like the WAC. From having Hawaii and Boise State make BCS bowls to basically not existing....
TexAg15
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

It's amazing how many original members are still in the MWC, a conference that started in 99. Whereas the WAC and all its history going back to the 60s has has none of its original members and is competing in FCS.
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2015
Aggieair
Marshall was already reported to be a done deal to the Sun Belt last week along with USM and ODU. Apparently they are just taking longer to make it official because of having to name a new president.

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports/marshall_university/sources-marshalls-move-to-sun-belt-imminent/article_8d9ed2fb-7047-5ef3-96f0-cc5eba37dc45.html

Since CUSA now has less teams than the 6 required by the NCAA, once Marshall leaves, their only chance for survival is to add FCS schools.
greg.w.h
AG
greg.w.h said:

So follow the bouncing ball: AAC reached out to several MWC schools who chose to wait to see if the Big 12 will directly add them. MAC hasn't been mentioned yet. C-USA can look at the six remaining independents but ND really isn't in play. That leaves Liberty, Army, UMass, NMSU, and UConn in current standings order. I'd argue stretching to the Mountain Time Zone seems a stretch if UTEP wasn't already in the conference.

I don't see MAC teams promoting yet, but two best might be enticing if anyone can figure out who that is…I don't think C-USA moves up to MWC. But if they lose teams the MWC could soak up some western teams.

I think C-USA could get back to 10 at least. And I'll note that afaik that's all the current FBS conferences.
Heh…
Dr Lane Trowlan
TexAg15 said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

It's amazing how many original members are still in the MWC, a conference that started in 99. Whereas the WAC and all its history going back to the 60s has has none of its original members and is competing in FCS.

Geography.
Iowaggie
AG
C-USA was formed in 1995. It's an understatement to say they have changed a lot of members.

Can you guess how many members it has had counting current members?
The answer does not include "affiliate" members like Alabama in rowing only or University of Northern Colorado in Swimming only, but non-affiliate members in its 26 years of existence?

"Here is the answer": They have had a total of 28 members

Southern Miss is only original members still remaining.
StrykerAg
AG
Marshall and the Sun Belt make it official. Yikes, CUSA.
IrishAg2011
AG
TexAg15 said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Well, the WAC intends to be a FBS conference again starting in 2030, featuring a bunch of Texas Schools, plus New Mexico State, Dixie State (UT), Southern Utah.
Ginormus Ag
AG
Maybe they can add Texas Institute of Technology and Science.
Username checks out.
wbt5845
AG
I like what the Sun Belt is doing.
sunshine1
Where will Tarleton end up? They will be ready in a few seasons.
10Aggie10
AG
several sportswriters are reporting that the MAC is talking to MTSU and WKU. That would leave only 3.

If the MAC stands pat, then CUSA will look to NMSU and Liberty. Maybe Lamar, SHSU, or EKU? They'll want to keep those exit fees from the 9+ departing members, the CFP payout, and the NCAA autobid.

If the MAC gains two though, they'll have to raid the FCS or lose football like the WAC did a decade ago
Aggieair
Im reading that SHSU is the only team talked about for jumping up to FBS. I don't know if the other schools meet the average 15,000 paid attendance requirement. I read Florida A&M does, and could be the first HBCU to jump up to FBS.

I'm surprised Liberty would be considering joining now considering their recent success in football and the amount of money they have. Joining a neutered CUSA would seem like a step down for them.

I'm also surprised that UConn would leave the AAC for the Big East and football independence only to join a deathbed CUSA.

If I were NMSU and UTEP, I would be throwing myself at the MWC, not considering being in a CUSA with a bunch of FCS schools.

A CUSA with NMSU, UTEP, SHSU, La Tech, FIU, Liberty, UConn, and UMass seems like it would be a geographic nightmare for non-revenue sports, and might not make enough football revenue to offset it.
WestAustinAg
AG
Why did the CUSA collapse. What happened and why? How many are now in sunbelt?
StrykerAg
AG
WestAustinAg said:

Why did the CUSA collapse. What happened and why? How many are now in sunbelt?

Cincy, Houston, and UCF leaving American for Big 12 opened the door for some CUSA teams - UAB, Charlotte, FAU, UNT, Rice, and UTSA.

Old Dominion, Southern Miss, and Marshall leaving CUSA for Sun Belt.

CUSA supposedly looking at Liberty, NM St, UConn and Sam Houston to stay afloat
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.