Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Bama's QBs at next level rack up more failure

7,903 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DallasAg03
NowhereMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rumor is Tua is done at Miami trading for Watson
J Hurts is terrible in PHL
Mack Jones jury still out in NE but lost to Tua

Bama for a QB is fools gold like having a scratch handicap at a par 3 golf at Caldwell CC.

Arch Manning should talk to Jimbo
StrykerAg
AG
Jameis?
Ponder?
Manuel?
Mond?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
PaulTony said:

Bama for a QB is fools gold like having a scratch handicap at a par 3 golf at Caldwell CC.

Tua was never the same after his injury IMO.

None of these guys, outside of Mack Jones, should be starters at this point in their careers. Jalen Hurts has surprised me a little, but I still think he would have had more success as a RB. Although probably for less years and damage to him.
Unemployed
AG
PaulTony said:

Jimbo's QBs in the NFL have been failures. Guess Winston is decent but really hasn't lived up to the hype of being the #1 pick.

I wouldn't close the books on Tagovailoa and Hurts yet. They're still young.

And Mac Jones is a rookie. I think he'll be a great NFL QB.
vander54
S
We are not going to sign Arch and really I'm not sure how good he is.
StrykerAg
AG
Kinda messed up that 3 NFL starters got drafted from OU after starting their careers elsewhere.

Mayfield
Murray
Hurts
alamogeorge
AG
You realize Mac Jones doesn't play against Tua, right? I'll never understand why people say one quarterback beat another one.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Aggieland!" -Davy Crockett
Caesar4
AG
TBD. I remember (I think) that John Elway struggled for his first 3 years or so with the Broncos after excelling (I think) at Stanford. I'm not sure if he would have had that much time these days to get acclimated/learn.
Meximan
Jameis was overdrafted and is a master of self-sabotage but he's actually been pretty solid (most of the time) as a starter.

There's probably a dozen or so teams who wish they had 'im.

Alpha Texan
AG
Tua's injuries ended his career

Hurts is having a pretty good year, and he's only started like 10 games, he's practically a rookie. I don't know why you're calling him a failure.

Mac Jones is doing well in NE for a rookie and looks to be a longtime starter to me
PeekingDuck
AG
We aren't signing him, but he is incredibly good.
wangus12
AG
Mac Jones has looked perfectly fine for a rookie and I think he'll make a pretty dang good QB
Ag Tag
Didn't Drew Brees struggle as a nobody in his first several years in the NFL?
Bunk Moreland
Tua is 50/50 still but in a degrading situation in Miami and injury prone.

Hurts actually starting and winning some NFL games as a qb is an overachievement.

Jones looks very good early as a rookie on a team with **** receivers.

Not sure of the point of this thread.
NathanChristie
AG
Jalen and Tua are doing well in my fantasy league fwiw. Last couple of weeks anyway. Jones too last week.
DallasAg03
AG
I despise dunking on great college players that don't turn into great NFL players. Every QB on the thread was a great college QB, nobody forced the NFL to draft them.
Seven Costanza
AG
It's really difficult to become a good NFL QB.
Chippintuff
I can't claim to know much about football, but I do know that the Mannings are deeply connected to Ole Miss. I think they are letting Arch make his own decision, but I will be shocked if he does not go to Ole Miss. It is not likely he will come here regardless how good TAMU gets. Besides, Ole Miss is putting a really good team together themselves.
Whaler
AG
Playing quarterback in the NFL is the hardest position in sports. Many more qb's are going to struggle in the NFL than are going to excel, no matter where they go to college.
bigblackag12
AG
StrykerAg said:

Jameis?
Ponder?
Manuel?
Mond?

Outkicked the covereage?
rootube
AG
Chippintuff said:

I can't claim to know much about football, but I do know that the Mannings are deeply connected to Ole Miss. I think they are letting Arch make his own decision, but I will be shocked if he does not go to Ole Miss. It is not likely he will come here regardless how good TAMU gets. Besides, Ole Miss is putting a really good team together themselves.

Wasn't all this true when Peyton went to Tennessee?

Now picture Ole Miss when Corral graduates and Kiffin leaves for a better job.
schmellba99
AG
Peyton went to Tenn at a time when Ole Miss was going on probation and was an absolute garbage program.

Peyton alao had a rough first year in Indy and his second year was only a little better.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Garbage program on probation sounds like OM 5 out of every 10 years. Eli got to play for cutcliffe, who had been payton's QB coach.
Post removed:
by user
Muy
AG
Chippintuff said:

I had to wonder if Arch was at the Ole Miss / LSU game last weekend. Guess that Ole Miss was honoring Archie Manning, but had to think they went to the extreme of putting "Manning" in the end zone was more for recruiting purposes.

I'd be embarrassed if A&M changed it's end zone to a former players' name. We're the Aggies, not the Manziels or Millers.
bert harbinson
AG
They retired Eli's number.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Arch will play in the SEC, but IMHO it won't be at Ole Miss, nor will it be for the SEC interlopers joining in 2025.
Divining Rod
rumors of Tua's death are greatly exaggerated...

Jalen is doing better than many "experts" ever thought possible.

Mac Jones by most NE accounts is doing very well.

That's strike three. You're out.
budah
Post Dan Marino, being a QB in Miami has been a non-starter. Look back at Tannehill, not great stats while at Miami and playing hurt / out frequently. Move him to Tennessee and they were 1st in their Division last year before losing in the Wild Card round. If he were to go to a team with an ownership to put tools and an O-Line that could block, he may surprise you. Not a Tua or Miami fan but have seen the writing on the wall for that program for a long time
bulverdeaggie93
AG
never was impressed with Tua… thought he was a mistake high nfl pick… always had a noodle arm… was 100% a product of Bama players around him. I do think M Jones will be good and long term nfl player.
dannyv
AG
The Pats' loss to the Dolphins was the first game of Jones' career and he played well. They lost for a number of reasons (Jones' play not being among them), and ultimately because Harris fumbled on the Dolphins' 9 late in the 4th down by two. Weird to include him in here because he "lost to Tua" when he looks like a clear long-term solution for the Pats.
MooreTrucker
AG
DallasAg03 said:

I despise dunking on great college players that don't turn into great NFL players. Every QB on the thread was a great college QB, nobody forced the NFL to draft them.
Yep. The list of Heisman QBs who failed in the NFL is long and distinguished, including our very own JFF.
Scotty Appleton
By and large QB's who play on stacked/dominant college programs struggle in the NFL. They don't take enough hits, literally/figuratively until they are in an environment where it's mostly an even playing field and they aren't the best person on the field. Most have been able to coast from HS through college and now grown men are in their faces within 3 seconds.

Most NFL QB's that make it play on solid/good college teams where they elevated the team, but still got their butts kicked from time to time. As weird as it may sound, if you have designs on being a good NFL QB, one of the worst things to do is go play on a college team where you are only challenged 1-2 times a year.
TMoney2007
AG
Seven Costanza said:

It's really difficult to become a good NFL QB.
I also think that many teams are looking for a QB to be the panacea that will fix all their problems so they get taken as early picks...

In reality, less sexy positions like linemen need to be in place to keep your shiny new quarterback from getting broken in half. Very few quarterbacks can really shine behind ****ty offensive lines and everybody expects the first QB drafted every year to be that.
MooreTrucker
AG
I will never be not convinced that if Johnny had gone somewhere better than CLE and sat for a year or two behind an established QB like Mahomes did with Alex Smith, he'd still be playing now.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.