Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

NIL question

1,995 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Milwaukees Best Light
Meanmachine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is each school required to report all athletes that have NIL deals to the NCAA? I have not seen anything about how it is being tracked. I am predicting a very strong correlation between NIL deal amounts and recruiting rankings.
AggieJoker90
AG
I am predicting a strong correlation between big NIL deals and poor on field performance
Spencer Rattler (OU)
DJ Uiagaleli (Clemson)
The entire Miami football team
Alpha Texan
AG
I think this will ring true for the first few years, but in 3 years, there will be enough bad examples to keep most these guys in line.

Tons of athletes already get paid huge salaries at the professional level, and it's not an issue for almost all of those. Getting a max contract in the NFL rarely leads to terrible performances, because those guys are more mature. But until these players in college see what losing focus can do, yeah, gonna be a rough time.
dirkjones
AG
Most players with any possibility of playing at the next level are signed with marketing agents which basically is the new name for a sports agent in the college ranks. College sports is now just minor league sports. Money and cars being handed out like candy. Several new cars in our player parking lot too.
atm0812
AG
NFL contracts are also rarely guaranteed (except for QBs), so they have to continue to perform year after year. NBA and MLB contracts are guaranteed, and a few players clearly take advantage.

I'd wager after a couple years we actually see less of the big NIL deals as it becomes more clear that 18-20 year olds are not a good investment.
Alpha Texan
AG
atm0812 said:

NFL contracts are also rarely guaranteed (except for QBs), so they have to continue to perform year after year. NBA and MLB contracts are guaranteed, and a few players clearly take advantage.

I'd wager after a couple years we actually see less of the big NIL deals as it becomes more clear that 18-20 year olds are not a good investment.
That's true. What's a good solution that still involves players being able to earn money? Pay them based on performance? Just offer less? Shorter contracts, like only weeks?
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
atm0812 said:

I agree, we will eventually see fewer NIL contracts given for the legitimate purpose of mounting a successful advertising campaign. But, you have to separate businessmen from rich boosters.

Before NIL, I'm not sure wealthy boosters considered 'helping the program' to be an investment with a monetary ROI. As long as HS kids are hyped as the next savior of SomewhereU, there will be big NIL deals when they arrive on campus.
EclipseAg
AG
atm0812 said:

Yeah, and that even goes beyond their on-field performance. Will people buy something just because a college athlete is awkwardly promoting it on Instagram?

The LSU gymnast who has a million or so IG followers is popular because she is hot. Her feed is full of sponsored posts now, mostly for products that appeal to women. But that's not really what her followers want to see, is it?

She'll make a boatload of money now. But the novelty might wear off.

Not saying that rich boosters won't funnel money to top athletes. But these legitimate NIL marketing deals between brands and college athletes seem janky.
Panama Red
AG
AggieJoker90 said:

I am predicting a strong correlation between big NIL deals and poor on field performance
Spencer Rattler (OU)
DJ Uiagaleli (Clemson)
Now do Matt Corral and Bryce Young.
Alpha Texan
AG
Panama Red said:

AggieJoker90 said:

Spencer Rattler (OU)
DJ Uiagaleli (Clemson)
Now do Matt Corral and Bryce Young.
It's not gonna be the case for all young guys. Some will handle it, some won't. It will certainly benefit NFL teams on draft day, though, as another measure of maturity.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Alpha Texan said:

atm0812 said:

That's true. What's a good solution that still involves players being able to earn money? Pay them based on performance? Just offer less? Shorter contracts, like only weeks?

An idiot kid gets a big check, buys a fancy car, then has a couple bad weeks on the field will now be wondering how he is going to make that next car payment. I guess they are in school to get an education. They will dang sure get one quick. Not saying I have the answers, but short contracts being the norm is setting some of these kids up for a fall.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.