Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Antonio Johnson Getting Some Love

6,748 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Johnsy3
Johnsy3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

We can all agree this dude has kinda come out of nowhere and played his butt off. Nice to see the national media notice.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Either he or Edgerrin will be the spy on Corral when we play Ole Miss.
Alpha Texan
AG
TexAgs some days: Pro Football focus is just garbage. It's just sip propaganda and is extremely inaccurate.

Texags on other days: Wow pro football focus is an excellent source for football analysis and provides extremely accurate grading!

These people had Sark as a COTY candidate. Am I supposed to like them?
W
AG
you know...is it a coincidence that the A&M defense has been really good the last 2 years...

and is also starting/playing a bunch of out-of-state players?

Antonio, Tyree, McKinnley, Hansford, Cooper, White, Chappell, et al
Bill Superman
AG
What's not to love
AG
Kid will be an All American
maver1ck
AG
Definitely his breakout year, but not out of nowhere. AJ was a big time recruiting win over Bama, and he showed some flashes of this potential last year. The guy is a future first rounder no doubt.
taylorswift13
AG
He'll continue our streak of first round draft picks in 2023! A streak that begins next April lol
Johnsy3
AG
Alpha Texan said:

TexAgs some days: Pro Football focus is just garbage. It's just sip propaganda and is extremely inaccurate.

Texags on other days: Wow pro football focus is an excellent source for football analysis and provides extremely accurate grading!

These people had Sark as a COTY candidate. Am I supposed to like them?

The difference is this is data-based and the other BS is opinion-based. I literally spit out my tea when I saw that Sark was on their COTY list
MaroonStain
AG
taylorswift13 said:

He'll continue our streak of first round draft picks in 2023! A streak that begins next April lol

We had a short break to reload the cupboard.
The Agly Duckling
Gig 'em, Antonio!
BostonAg74
W said:

you know...is it a coincidence that the A&M defense has been really good the last 2 years...

Probably different situations for each player, but generally speaking, I've thought for many years that the biased and competitive nature of Texas based recruiting evaluators makes their evaluations suspect from time to time when in comes to in state talent, so some of those stars are awarded for reasons other than actual ability. I think when recruiting expands beyond the Texas borders, the four and five star evaluations are likely to be more accurate, and when all those players are finally on campus, the out of state recruits rise to the top because they were closer to the top to begin with. So no, I don't think it is coincidence that the best defensive players are from out of state. I think it is entirely predictable.
500,000ags
AG
I've always appreciated PFF. How do they support the horns?
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Also, 7 on 7 being so big in Texas has sucked a lot of talent from defense over to offense over the last 10+ years to where front 7 players are just hard to find in Texas especially at LB.
cavscout96
AG
BostonAg74 said:

W said:

Probably different situations for each player, but generally speaking, I've thought for many years that the biased and competitive nature of Texas based recruiting evaluators makes their evaluations suspect from time to time when in comes to in state talent, so some of those stars are awarded for reasons other than actual ability. I think when recruiting expands beyond the Texas borders, the four and five star evaluations are likely to be more accurate, and when all those players are finally on campus, the out of state recruits rise to the top because they were closer to the top to begin with. So no, I don't think it is coincidence that the best defensive players are from out of state. I think it is entirely predictable.
I'm sure the State of Texas has plenty of defensive talent. It's just not being developed because the BDF has been focused on offense for over a decade (maybe two). HS are running schemes that are built to score points and all of the best athletes are used on that side of the ball.

you may see a shift in TX HS defender production when our little brothers join the party. They willnot be consistently competitive fielding BDF defenses.
Agsuffering@bulaw
The rules of the game and existing schemes currently favor offense and passing. TXHS coaches deploy their assets effeciently.

Also, look at who gets paid the most professionally: QB, OT, Edge, WR, CB. It is not an accident that kids want to play those positions.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Johnsy3 said:

We can all agree this dude has kinda come out of nowhere and played his butt off. Nice to see the national media notice.
Not really out of nowhere - he was the #2 ranked safety in the 2020 recruiting class. We beat out Bama who fought until the end to try and get him.

Antonio is every bit of a 5 star talent, although was ranked just a hair under. He is playing really well, and it helps that he gets to be coached by Elko.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
AJ reminds me of Patrick Bates to any Aggie that is high praise.
mike073
AG
Antonio's sister, mom, grandma and great grandmother sat behind us at the Missouri game. Needless to say they were beyond thrilled at his interception.
Gig 'em Aggies!

ElephantRider
AG
Emilio Fantastico said:

Also, 7 on 7 being so big in Texas has sucked a lot of talent from defense over to offense over the last 10+ years to where front 7 players are just hard to find in Texas especially at LB.

There have been a lot of WRs come out of Texas recently that would have been LBs 15 years ago.
TAM85
Jackie turned QBs into LBs.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

Jackie turned QBs into LBs.

Good point. Today's athlete. Most QB we would want to move to LB can probably get an offer at okie lite or baylor.

IF he comes to play for us, he would probably want a year or 2 at QB before being made to switch. Before the portal, that might have been feasible for the right athlete.

I dont blame them. The prestige and money that QBs get is so much better than LBs.
Johnsy3
AG

Love this dude
NavyAg92
AG
Johnsy3 said:

He didn't come out of nowhere. A&M pursued him constantly from St. Louis, MO along with Doyle who is now gone. But those following A&M recruiting/football knew he was a stud and flashed each time he had an opportunity to play last year. He and Cooper are the two Jimbo mentioned at the end of last year that he needed to find a way to get them on the field this year. When M. Jones went down and the J. Jones experiment at NB didn't work during the Spring, it opened up the opportunity for Johnson to see the field and when George went down, Chappell made the best of the opportunity as well and will remain a starter for the future. Now Harmon is seeing more PT as well of late. If Moten hadn't got hurt, he might have made a run for quality PT as well. Kids a baller.

There's a good chance Johnson moves to safety to replace O'Neal next year. Gilbert would be the next man up at Safety after Richardson and Johnson. EY could play Safety as well as J. Jones.

Cooper is replacing Hansford next year. Wait until you see him play fulltime. Cats as fast as sh/t LBer and can hit like like a mf'er.
Johnsy3
AG
Quote:

When M. Jones went down and the J. Jones experiment at NB didn't work during the Spring, it opened up the opportunity for Johnson to see the field

This is what I meant by "kinda came out of nowhere"

I think he would be a great Leon replacement at S
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.