Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Mike Tomlin Responds to College Rumors

5,935 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by HerschelwoodHardhead
HoustonAg2106
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Hey, guys, I don't have time for that speculation," Tomlin said. "I mean, that's a joke to me. I got one of the best jobs in all of professional sports. Why would I have any interest in coaching college football?

"That will be the last time I address it. Not only today but moving forward. Never say never, but never. OK? Anybody else got any questions about any college jobs. There's not a booster with a big enough blank check."

Now that is how you shut down speculation!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32479362/pittsburgh-steelers-mike-tomlin-emphatically-ends-speculation-interest-college-football-openings
CowPieAndFries
Oops misread his quote.
Formerly CowPieAndFries
Alpha Texan
AG
For him to take a job like USC, that would be aa major demotion. So yeah, I get why he was insulted. It's a huge compliment for Jimbo to be "heir apparent" at LSU, especially after the media has hammered home what aa failure Jimbo has been at A&M lol.

Of course he reacted differently than Jimbo
Sq 17
If it is all about the $$$,
College seems like a better job
If you can get 6+ years
7 million/year guaranteed

Which NFL guys are making that much guaranteed ??

agwin12
AG
Tomlin is making $8M.
"A life lived for others is a life worthwhile" - Albert Einstein
Alex580
AG
Tomlin is making 8 mil a year working for one of the best sports franchises with great ownership that doesn't get rid coaches. Plus he doesn't have to deal with college kids and recruiting, I don't think he would ever leave the NFL by choice.
rootube
AG
Alpha Texan said:

For him to take a job like USC, that would be aa major demotion. So yeah, I get why he was insulted. It's a huge compliment for Jimbo to be "heir apparent" at LSU, especially after the media has hammered home what aa failure Jimbo has been at A&M lol.

Would it??? Similar salary you don't have to live in Pennsylvania and you have a massive competitive advantage over every single opponent. Seems like the Steelers are a step down from USC.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
I believe Tomlin is also the coach who once said "Once you've been to the Super Bowl, you realize there's only one bowl game that matters." Doesn't sound like a college guy at all.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Since 1969, the Pittsburgh Steelers have had only three head coaches; Chuck Noll 1969 -1991, Bill Cowher 1992-2006, and Mike Tomlin 2007-present. The Steelers have the best coaching stability in the NFL. Mike Tomlin is only 49 years old, and he will keep coaching the Steelers until he retires.
Alpha Texan
AG
rootube said:

Alpha Texan said:

Would it??? Similar salary you don't have to live in Pennsylvania and you have a massive competitive advantage over every single opponent. Seems like the Steelers are a step down from USC.
Yes. The NFL is a more elite platform than USC. It is a higher position.
HoustonAg2106
AG
rootube said:

Alpha Texan said:

This isnt Jacksonville or Miami we are talking about here, it's the freaking Pittsburgh Steelers....that is one of the best jobs in all of sports
PeekingDuck
AG
You are a silly person.
bigblackag12
AG
rootube said:

Alpha Texan said:

The Pittsburgh Steelers are a step down from USC?

Wicked Good Ag
rootube said:

Alpha Texan said:

It would!!
Similar salary you don't have to live in California and you have a massive competitive advantage over every single opponent. Seems like the Steelers are a stepup from USC.
FIFY
Class of 65
AG
Why would any coach would want to deal with 17 or 18 year olds?
Waterski02
AG
The Steelers=Stability.
It's an odd yet passionate fan base, hmmm.

I don't know what Tomlin makes, but I've personally set foot in Mr Rooney's office and shaken his hand and can say the Steelers are family. Fairly unique in this day and age. He's not leaving for a college job.
cevans_40
AG
rootube said:

Alpha Texan said:

Recruiting for 52 weeks a year vs working an NFL season.

I'll take the $2MM pay cut to stay in the NFL
whytho987654
Steelers are stable, but like the cowboys they aren't the dominant force they used to be, which is good cause I hate hardcore generational nfl fans of previous dominant franchises
halfastros81
AG
Pittsburgh is actually a pretty nice city! Admittedly the Wintertime is probably not all that much fun. The Steelers organization is also good. I have no dog in this hunt . Have never
Lived in Pittsburgh or LA but your'e wrong if you think USC HFC is a step up from Steelers HFC. Big step down. I'd guess taxes are actually lower in PA vs Cali as well.

Whoever is running USC athletics is running it into the ground it appears to me
Propane & Accessories
AG
I mean how many times has a college team poached an NFL head coach, not too often I think and if they do the coach is either A) About to be fired, B) On the Hot Seat or C) Bobby Petrino
W
AG
Tomlin has become one of those coaches where the reputation has now far exceeded the actual results.

he has coached all 15 seasons with a Hall of Fame quarterback.

but is only 8-8 in playoff games...and only 3-6 in the last 10 years
phatty26
Seriously California is a giant **** hole anchor on america anybody moving there has to make 10 times normal pay to cover all the bs they are enacting there. That is why they are moving to Texas Florida etc.
NoahAg
BAS65 said:

Why would any coach would want to deal with 17 or 18 year olds?
Not to mention: parents, boosters, NCAA, administration, recruiting rules, university rules, player conduct, the whole "student athlete" thing and making sure your players stay eligible.
In the NFL, a coach pretty much just has to make sure no one videos your player killing a hooker.
Let's go, Brandon!
TexAg15
AG
I think a lot of y'all are underestimating how big of a beat down recruiting has to be.
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2015
PacifistAg
AG
W said:

Tomlin has become one of those coaches where the reputation has now far exceeded the actual results.

Somewhat in his defense, 3 of his 8 playoff losses were to QB's named Brady or Manning. He does remind me, in a way, of Jeff Fisher in how the reputation seems to exceed results. He's had a HOF QB his whole time, but he's also had a QB who was, at best, maybe top 5 in the league at any time (Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers).
Little Rock Ag
AG
PacifistAg said:

W said:

Somewhat in his defense, 3 of his 8 playoff losses were to QB's named Brady or Manning. He does remind me, in a way, of Jeff Fisher in how the reputation seems to exceed results. He's had a HOF QB his whole time, but he's also had a QB who was, at best, maybe top 5 in the league at any time (Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers).
It doesn't really matter anyway, because the Steelers don't fire coaches. Tomlin knows he's in like Flynn.
The Collective
AG
Tomlin has one of the best gigs in sports. No way you even consider walking away from that.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I have heard it first hand from a former coach at both levels and they said that being an NFL coach is waaaaay better than being a college coach. In the NFL you get a significant period of time off each year and you do not have to recruit. Those two elements made it a no brainer for them.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
HerschelwoodHardhead
AG
PacifistAg said:

W said:

Also, he's been there 15 years and never had a losing season. I'd gladly take those results for my team (Texans). Though it's really hard to be a fan of the Texans these days, I haven't watched them play in a year cause its so bad to watch.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.