Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Would you trade Jimbo Fisher for ONE national championship?

5,477 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by NathanChristie
Little Rock Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sp, it's a dull day at work, and I was thinking about how much I'd give up for A&M to win just one football title in my lifetime. Choose either option A or B:

A. Win the national championship at the end of this season, BUT lose Jimbo to LSU

B. NOT win a title this season and keep Jimbo for the remainder of his career, with a possibility that he coaches us to a title (or two or three) in the future

(I know we could both not win a title AND lose Jimbo, but play along if you want to humor an old Ag)
akm91
AG
No brainer. It's B all day every day.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
BJM1781
AG
A. I'll take a guaranteed title since our last claimed 'national championship' happened pre-Pearl Harbor and Saban will still be around for awhile.
OKC~Ag
Yes, take a A, a sure thing...

10 years Jimbo @A&M guarantees nothing

But, a first NC means more is possible
Class of 65
AG
A WAITING 79 YEARS AND RUNNING OUT OF TIME
ironmanag
AG
No.

I would rather have a coach that knows what he is doing and could very well get us there on his own.
Unemployed
AG
A.

No doubt. 1939 is a long time ago.
greg.w.h
AG
Meh. Bad hypotheticals are bad. If Jimbo wins an NC we go all out to keep him. How does $20 million per year sound???
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Half this board would give their left nut for a national title. I'll help Jimbo pack.
Showstopper
AG
A. I'd trade almost anything for a title. If I were 20, maybe I think they are easy to get. They aren't. OU despite their hype has 1999 and that's it post-Switzer. The self-proclaimed "Joneses" have 2005 and that's it in the past 50 years. I'm the past 40 years USC only has 2004. Georgia hasn't won since Hershel Walker.

They are rare. If we get one, savor it. A lot of good Ags went to the ground without ever seeing one. Maybe we win several, that would be nice, but it is far from easy or guaranteed.
Alpha Texan
AG
Easy B for me.

I'd rather average 10 win seasons and be in a NY6 every year, which I think Jimbo can do, and have a chance at a natty than have a natty and take the chance that we end up in the endless hamster wheel of mediocre coaches like tu.

Another thing to consider with this hypothetical: if Jimbo isn't going to get us there, so you take that natty and give up Jimbo, Who are we going to get that's close to being as good as Jimbo? Nobody. You're taking one natty and going to a coach who only gets you 8 wins a year.

On the other hand, take the chance with Jimbo, because our next option will take us out of ranked relevance
Mac94
AG
Lol ... I think the persons age needs to be with the response. Have a feeling the older the poster the higher probability of an "A" answer.

Since I'm solidly in my 50's .... A, lol
nu awlins ag
AG
A all day and twice on Sunday. Nothing is a given in life and what Bama has done and to a lesser extent Clemson, NC's are hard to come by. When Saban does retire, Bama won't be the same.
ArmaLite
Wouldn't think twice. Pack your **** Jimbo.
Snap E Tom
I'd gamble for multiple titles with B.

Sure, we get one with A, but Jimbo at LSU would pretty much mean he's the new Saban and we won't have another chance for decades.
Snap E Tom
Mac94 said:

Lol ... I think the persons age needs to be with the response. Have a feeling the older the poster the higher probability of an "A" answer.

Definitely think you have a point. Solidly in my 40's, and I'll go with B.
Wisconsin_Ag
Since I'm pushing 70, definitely "A"
Ogre09
AG
A and promote Elko
WorkTogetherAgs
AG
Keep Jimbo for the remainder of his career.

Jimbo will win us multiple National Championships if this happens.

Mark it down.
Alpha Texan
AG
Mac94 said:

Yeah im 22 which probably contributes to me on board with B, about 160 wins over the next 15 years sounds good. I'm not sick of not having our natty yet.
KCup17
AG
Give me the National Title all day everyday.
aggiesherpa
AG
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush...or something like that.
rbcs_2
AG
I think I would choose Jimbo for the remainder of his career over 1 championship and back to the coaching carrousel.
ClearlyJustSomeAg
AG
While watching Aggie football has been more fun with Jimbo I think I'm going A. I'm 35, not sure where that falls in the 'olds.'
Ogre09
AG
aggiesherpa said:

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush...or something like that.

I've seen that one…
AgBQ-00
AG
We spent so long in the coaching desert that I would go with B and take the chance that he wins one or more.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Mid 50s here. Going with B. I absolutely don't want Jimbo in Coonass country doing there what he is doing here. He will win here, and just might win multiples here.
realestateguru
AG
I would trade my wife for one.
Rule#2
AG
realestateguru said:

I would trade my wife for one.

Prove it
realestateguru
AG
That would require a win first.
e=mc2
AG
A.

Then we go steal Dabo or Urban.
vet93
AG
B all day. I have had it with the endless cycle of mediocre coaches that can befall any program. Give me a coach that consistently puts us in the position to win it over a 10 year period gives a better long-term trajectory after his retirement and solidifies the program as an elite football program. Plus, I do not want Jimbo at LSU recruiting against us for 10+ years and fielding teams that will be title contenders each year. With this scenario it is all about both the positives of having Jimbo plus keeping him away from LSU.
LatinAggie1997
AG
B.

A is getting a full bottle of water during a marathon within the first 3 miles.

B is getting half full bottles of Gatorade every 2.6 miles.

B gives me the opportunity immediately and 8n the long term to accomplish my feat. One guarantees quick success but perhaps creates a 23 mile lull (79 yrs).
sixpakdad
My dad was a Fish in 1939 and told me about the tu game. The hidden receiver play was a classic
WhiteYaloo
Absolutely
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.