Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Are we not a top 5 coaching destination?

11,525 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teslag
aTmBonfire
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Assume for a minute that every coaching job is open and our head coach (whoever it may be at this particular hypothetical time) could go anywhere he chooses. Outside of personal reasons (wanting to be closer to family, coach his alma mater, etc.), what is it that others have that A&M doesn't?

We have:
Money
Facilities
Academics (some recruits actually do care about this)
access to top recruits
Alumni and AD that, relatively speaking, stays out of the coach's business
Are accommodating to the coach's requests and suggestions

What we don't have:
A winning tradition (which is what the coach is being paid to provide)

What am I missing? I don't understand why the talking heads automatically think that a successful coach here would want to leave the minute another job opens up.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
Texas A&M has everything needed to win many national titles. The fact that we haven't been more productive is more an enticement of the program than all that is available in Aggieland. The right coach which in my opinion we have will kill it here before it's all said and done. In this century Texas A$M is a top 5 job no question.
Alpha Texan
AG
I have us in the 6-10.

Your pros and cons are spot on, but coaches aren't primarily motivated by anything more than winning. A place that they believe they can win in is probably a top 2 interest, along with money. So while it's the one thing we lack, it means more than those others, IMO. When LSU can say that their last 3 coaches all got natties, that's really appealing (doesn't mean we're losing Jimbo).

IMO, no, we aren't a top 5 destination on our own. I like Bama, LSU, UGA, Ohio State, and Oregon more than us.

Oregon? You serious, Clark? Yes Oregon, because while it only has a bit more winning history than us in my lifetime, recruiting is now dominated by NIL. We have, in the last decade snuck into the 2nd tier coaching destinations with teams like UF, Mich, UCLA, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Auburn and USC. But while most those teams are trending down in my lifetime, we are trending up.

I give you that from the perspective of someone the same age as the players, I'm interested to see how different ages view this.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

What am I missing? I don't understand why the talking heads automatically think that a successful coach here would want to leave the minute another job opens up.
I don't think that's what the talking heads have been saying
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
i mean, we dont have a reputation for winning anything. National perception as a winner is pretty important. We jump into that category with a natty, but not before.
BrotherChad
AG
No
aTmBonfire
AG
During the South Carolina game they were talking about LSU being a top 5 program and about whether Jimbo should consider the job. Perhaps I misunderstood but I think it was the bald fat guy that said it was a top 5 destination and Jimbo should consider taking it. It got me wondering why any coach, Jimbo or otherwise, wold want to leave A&M for any other school.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
aTmBonfire said:

During the South Carolina game they were talking about LSU being a top 5 program and about whether Jimbo should consider the job. Perhaps I misunderstood but I think it was the bald fat guy that said it was a top 5 destination and Jimbo should consider taking it. It got me wondering why any coach, Jimbo or otherwise, wold want to leave A&M for any other school.
At this immediate moment I dont think LSU is a better job than A&M, but they've also had three consecutive coaches win a national title. A&M is a tougher job, no doubt about it.
BusterAg
AG
aTmBonfire said:

1) If the contracts were exactly the same, Jimbo would consider leaving A&M for LSU.

2) Very few programs would give a coach a contract as rich as Jimbo's. We are taking risks to get to be a top 5 program over the next decade. I like it.

3) That long term contract will help with recruiting. Kids like to play for Jimbo right now. They are pretty sure they will finish their college career with Jimbo. It's a great investment.

4) Anyone leaving a 10 year contract with Texas A&M for another school is BSC.
lb1lb2
AG
reading over the various lists, in my opinion UCLA has never been a top job. Good job yes, top tier for their conf yes but no way nationally.
BusterAg
AG
Alpha Texan said:

Oregon? You serious, Clark? Yes Oregon, because while it only has a bit more winning history than us in my lifetime, recruiting is now dominated by NIL. We have, in the last decade snuck into the 2nd tier coaching destinations with teams like UF, Mich, UCLA, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Auburn and USC. But while most those teams are trending down in my lifetime, we are trending up.
I think that NIL will ultimately be a huge advantage for Texas A&M. Our alum have money, and they love the school, and Texas is a huge, huge market. As long as we have those three things in place, we will always be in the upper echelon for NIL money.

I honestly think that it was NIL that got tu and OU to give in and move into the SEC.
Alpha Texan
AG
BusterAg said:

Alpha Texan said:

I think that NIL will ultimately be a huge advantage for Texas A&M. Our alum have money, and they love the school, and Texas is a huge, huge market. As long as we have those three things in place, we will always be in the upper echelon for NIL money.

I honestly think that it was NIL that got tu and OU to give in and move into the SEC.
I agree. I'm interested to see how it all shakes out though. Outside of our former students and their families, A&M isn't in a huge market. We aren't in LA, Austin, New York or any of that, nor do we own the state the way LSU or Ohio State own theirs. Hopefully we can hit the Houston market hard. I think NIL will benefit us a lot, but I think it benefits Oregon more, and is why I see them as a top 5, moving forward,
Jon Cocktosin
AG
BusterAg said:

Alpha Texan said:

Ag Tag
BusterAg said:

aTmBonfire said:

1) If the contracts were exactly the same, Jimbo would consider leaving A&M for LSU.

2) Very few programs would give a coach a contract as rich as Jimbo's. We are taking risks to get to be a top 5 program over the next decade. I like it.

3) That long term contract will help with recruiting. Kids like to play for Jimbo right now. They are pretty sure they will finish their college career with Jimbo. It's a great investment.

4) Anyone leaving a 10 year contract with Texas A&M for another school is BSC.

No doubt, in order to entice Jimbo, LSU would have to provide a better contract than the one he has now.
cevans_40
AG
Alpha Texan said:

BusterAg said:

Alpha Texan said:

I agree. I'm interested to see how it all shakes out though. Outside of our former students and their families, A&M isn't in a huge market. We aren't in LA, Austin, New York or any of that, nor do we own the state the way LSU or Ohio State own theirs. Hopefully we can hit the Houston market hard. I think NIL will benefit us a lot, but I think it benefits Oregon more, and is why I see them as a top 5, moving forward,
Does not compute
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

Texas A&M has everything needed to win many national titles. The fact that we haven't been more productive is more an indictment of the program than all that is available in Aggieland. The right coach which in my opinion we have will kill it here before it's all said and done. In this century Texas A$M is a top 5 job no question.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
cevans_40 said:

Alpha Texan said:

BusterAg said:

Alpha Texan said:

Does not compute
Agree, but Oregon is almost synonymous with the largest athletic company in the world. If Nike wants to make a college football player the most famous athlete in america they could.

I dont buy them as a top 5, maybe not even top 10, coaching destination
Alpha Texan
AG
cevans_40 said:

Alpha Texan said:

BusterAg said:

Alpha Texan said:

Does not compute
Nike is a national market and Nike is Oregon Athletics. Phil Knight of Nike has started a lil side business solely dedicated to helping Oregon athletes to grow their brand for NIL, and with Nike, it's a national platform.
aTmBonfire
AG
It sounds like it is basically the perception of the ability to win at A&M is the biggest hurdle (at least in all your eyes). I hadn't really thought about how it might be easier for some schools to own their state in recruiting. I know Texas is big and has a lot of talent but there are something like 21 D1 schools in the state for recruits to choose from. So perhaps in that respect there is a bit of a challenge that some other destinations don't have. NIL $ may very well nullify that challenge though.

Here's to hoping the perception that it's too difficult to win here is soon put to bed!
Alpha Texan
AG
I agree. one of LSU's biggest advantages is being a southern state, loaded with HS talent, and being the only school in the state that matters. Everyone in LA is an LSU fan. Other states with lots of talent like Alabama or Mississippi have multiple relevant schools, or the biggest football states: Texas, Cali and Florida who have tons of talent but tons of schools.
whatthehey78
AG
Firm believer, Jackie Sherrill would have achieved that goal...had it not been for our demented brethren in Asstin.
Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself founded empires; but upon what foundation did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force! But Jesus Christ founded His upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him. - Napoleon Bonaparte
knoxtom
Teams that are clearly ahead of us as a coaching destination...

Alabama
Ohio State
Michigan
Texas
Oklahoma
Georgia
Florida
Notre Dame

Teams that are right there with us

LSU
Auburn
USCal
Oregon
Stanford
Clemson

So we are right around 10. Sure is better than it was 10 years ago.

It would help if there was still a living person from the last time we won it all. It would also help if College Station wasn't College Station or if we had some famous supporters.
The Agly Duckling
I understand many will have different views:

Among other factors, I look at the following:

1. Power 5 (or 4, coming up, perhaps)
2. Athletic Budget Revenue
3. Commitment to football (large portion of the AD budget)
4. Large fan base and huge stadium/Lots of support plus raucous environment
5. Proximity to rich recruiting areas,within a reasonable drive time
6. How much in-state competition have you for recruits in that area
7. Current state of facilities relative to main recruiting competition

To my assessment, the top programs are, in no particular order (15):

Texas A&M
sip
OU
S. Cal
Ohio St.
Michigan
Notre Dame
LSU
Bama
Auburn (I consider them equal to Bama in potential. If Bryant and Saban coached there instead . . .)
Florida
Florida State
Miami
Georgia
Penn St.

Very, very close, are (4):
Tennessee
Clemson
South Carolina (basically the same as Clemson except a little more $$ now and different coaches)
Arkansas

The order of anybody's top schools would be mostly opinion. Many people would weight them based upon past success even if the circumstances are completely different now.

I say we and Bama are both top 15 jobs.

I consider LSU slightly above both because the Tigers are the only Power 5 school in that talent-rich state, which has proven to be a huge advantage.

Nebraska's too far away for a ton of recruits, IMO.

That said, get a great coach that kicks ass, pay to keep him and his staff as long as possible and you'll be able to recruit nationally, as has been done by S. Cal, Nebraska, Ohio St., Bama, Michigan, Oregon, FSU, UF, etc.

Hell, we're starting to now, as well!
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
If Texas is clearly ahead of us why do they consistently have terrible coaches? They havent made a hire since brown that wasnt trying to capitalize on and emulate the success we were having.

Texas has fallen behind us with Jimbo and the SEC, and LSU is ahead of us.
90ags
Definition of top 5 is subjective and applied inconsistently.

LSU considered top 5 as it owns the state and recruits itself as the only program in the state and still produces more NFL athletes on a per capita basis (helped via pressure of local cajun mafia and bagmen). They have 3 NC under 3 different regimes (and 2 were awful HCs, but had good asst. coaches and right lightning in the bottle; Les Miles totally lucky to grab a NC).

Until A&M wins some NCs, will be difficult to consider it top 5 (although money and facilities are up there, many of the larger schools are comparative - Mich, tOSU, Bama, sips, etc...arms race is alive and well).

Do agree that Oregon is the new darkhorse on the horizon as they'll add more NIL prospects than anyone due to Nike connection (didn't we already lose a WR to them this year?).

Waiting to see what is A&M's NIL machine as being a guest on Texags with a sponsor isn't going to be the selling point to land the 5 stars consistently (vs. others).
______________________________________________________ Play for the name on the front of your jersey, not the back...
ironmanag
AG
To many people assume the titles are what make a job.

Not true at all

t.u. is not a top 10 because the intereference and expectations are unrealistic. Hence why they have not been able to attract a Jimbo or Dabo.

Coaches choose jobs based on support, money, recuiting, and autonomy.

dimwitchad that says we are not. Well who got Jimbo? A&M, t.u., or LSU?

knoxtom
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

If Texas is clearly ahead of us why do they consistently have terrible coaches? They havent made a hire since brown that wasnt trying to capitalize on and emulate the success we were having.

Duuuurrrrrr,

Maybe the Texas AD and alumni make bad decisions?

The only advantage we had was the SEC v Big12 and now we crapped that away. If Texas isn't more desirable than us then why did the SEC completely blow off our objections and allow them in. The SEC showed us who they wanted all along and didn't care one single little bit if we complained. "You don't like it A&M, then get out, otherwise shut up, bend over, and take it."

Sorry if the truth hurts, but the SEC showed us EXACTLY what we are, their bitXX

Recent Championship - Texas
Academics - Texas
Exposure - both are in the SEC now
City - Austin
Facilities - I guess us
History - Texas
Famous Alumni - Texas
NIL money - Texas
Alpha Texan
AG
knoxtom said:

Teams that are clearly ahead of us as a coaching destination...

Alabama
Ohio State
Michigan
Texas
Oklahoma
Georgia
Florida
Notre Dame

Teams that are right there with us

LSU
Auburn
USCal
Oregon
Stanford
Clemson

So we are right around 10. Sure is better than it was 10 years ago.

It would help if there was still a living person from the last time we won it all. It would also help if College Station wasn't College Station or if we had some famous supporters.
What makes Texas. Michigan, or Florida better than us? The only thing we lack to be top 5 is a history of winning but In the memory of 95% of active players, we are more successful than all 3 of those.

If you rate it by "What have the 70 year olds seen," then sure, but if you rate it by the memory of guys actually playing ball, we are more accomplished than those 3.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
knoxtom said:

Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

Duuuurrrrrr,

Maybe the Texas AD and alumni make bad decisions?

The only advantage we had was the SEC v Big12 and now we crapped that away. If Texas isn't more desirable than us then why did the SEC completely blow off our objections and allow them in. The SEC showed us who they wanted all along and didn't care one single little bit if we complained. "You don't like it A&M, then get out, otherwise shut up, bend over, and take it."

Sorry if the truth hurts, but the SEC showed us EXACTLY what we are, their bitXX

Recent Championship - Texas
Academics - Texas
City - Austin
Facilities - I guess us
History - Texas
Famous Alumni - Texas
NIL money - Texas
Youre saying its a better coaching destination, but good coaches dont want to go there even though its wonderful? Good take. If they make a slam dunk hire to take them into the SEC maybe, but it seems like they can only attract C level coaching talent.

They didnt "make bad decisions", they got who would come. So did we. Its pretty clear who has more pull right now.
Alpha Texan
AG
knoxtom said:

Recent Championship - Texas (dude I'm the same age as the players and I don't remember that game)
Academics - Texas (depends on your major)
City - Austin(austin is better until you visit it and see how San Fransisco-like it's trending)
Facilities - I guess us (Find me a list that says Texas has better facilities. We are usually rated 2nd, behind Oregon. There is no "i guess"
History - Texas (Again, in the memory of active players and recruits, it's us)
Famous Alumni - Texas (see below)
NIL money - Texas (see below)
As for those last 2, Texas is in a tailspin with regard to relationship between the people who love the school and its tradition and can pay players and the players who are on a super woke trend and don't even want to stay on the field for the school fight song. That's not how it happened at A&M. There were political disagreements among athlete's and boosters, but we all came together on gameday as the team and the 12th man.

The source of money in Austin doesn't love the destination of the money, so they're less likely to pay.

Also, let's add in maybe the most important one...
Coaching- Us. And it's not close.
Tamu_mgm
AG
A&M is a top 5, at worst top 10 destination job.
rootube
AG
Do coaches leave here to go on to bigger jobs? In my lifetime the answer is no. So you can rank them however you like, but you have to put us above Bama, and FSU at a minimum because someone very recently chose Texas A&M over them.
Showstopper
Divining Rod
everything changes- there used to be several boxes a&m didnt check. those boxes have diminished. once we have another NC and a conference c-ship or 2 in the SEC, we will have less empty boxes than most any program in the country (and MORE positive boxes)

I'm fine if this takes another 2,3,4 years- but it's happening.
greg.w.h
AG
We had historical natural limitations, over-expectations, and traditional under-funding that we occasionally tried to heal by spending more on coaching. We have cured all of that as long as we keep investing.

I think it comes with time at this point. Plan to overpay Jimbo a lot.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.