Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

All you need to know about TxTech's program and AD Holcutt....

12,361 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Divining Rod
Divining Rod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Hocutt said a search committee will include Tech booster and regent Dusty Womble, who just made a $20 million donation to the athletic department earlier this month;

You pays your money and you takes your chances.... Step right up, sir, $20 million and we'll do what you want. If you dont like our new guy, next year we reserve the right to demand $25 million to tell us what to do.
StrykerAg
AG
Imagine having $20 million to spare and spending it on fking Texas TECH
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Sounds like a cartoon character. Maybe they'll hire back the pirate
Buford T. Justice
AG
I do not pay attention to Texas Tech, so I have no clue what the overall composition of their Board of Regents looks like, but I would presume that there is at least a small sampling of new found oil money.

Smart job preservation move by Kirby. I'm sure he's making $1M+.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
20ag07
More like $2M. Absurdly overrated AD for having 2 bad football hires in a row, and letting their basketball coach get away without even getting a meeting. That's a fireable run at almost any P5 school, at Tech it gets you a top 10 AD salary. Clearly Womble, who's paying his salary, likes him.
pbaitman
Look for Sonny Dikes or Jeff Traylor to get job, which either one would be solid hire, especially given it is Tech.
agent-maroon
AG
Opened this thread and realized that the wealthy tech donor is a long forgotten upper classman at my old high school. I'm sure it's him, because how many Dusty Wombles could there be out in West Texas? Don't know if he has the first clue about football, but I can tell you that he is very, very intelligent and his wealth surely reflects that fact. Apparently made his money in tech, not oil.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Stone44
AG
Watched the tech/Kansas State game this past weekend on TV. The crowd was pitiful. It looked like a high school game or baylor homecoming. WAC>big 12.
coastalAg
AG
Kirby has burned all of his built up goodwill. He is being bailed out of another bad football hire. Im not sure he has any choice but to capitulate to the highest bidding donors for the next coach.
ArmaLite
I really hope Traylor doesn't take this job.
agent-maroon
AG
20ag07 said:

More like $2M.
No, more like $30 million total. $20 million earlier this month for a football facility and a previous $10 million donation for a basketball practice facility.

The $20 million dollar gift from Womble is the largest of its kind in the school's athletics department history.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Builder93
AG
What is a Dusty Womble and how did it get so dusty?
20ag07
Was referring to Hocutt's salary, the statement immediately preceding it.
TXAG 05
AG
Builder93 said:

Probably from lack of use
agent-maroon
TexAg15
AG
Kliff was a great hire. Just didn't work out there, because maybe no one will after the pirate put a curse on them. Kliff can clearly coach.
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2015
MooreTrucker
AG
Builder93 said:

You've never been to Lubbock, have you?

As for money guys, there's a guy also on the BOR named Cody Campbell, new oil money with Double Eagle, and I hear his name a lot in terms of "he wants this guy (can't remember who) and was not happy when Wells was hired instead."

It may have been Traylor but I can't remember. Wasn't Dykes or Briles.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
You are delusional if you don't think the biggest of big $ Aggie boosters were not involved in the Jimbo hiring.....
rootube
AG
Divining Rod said:

Quote:

Hocutt said a search committee will include Tech booster and regent Dusty Womble, who just made a $20 million donation to the athletic department earlier this month;

You pays your money and you takes your chances.... Step right up, sir, $20 million and we'll do what you want. If you dont like our new guy, next year we reserve the right to demand $25 million to tell us what to do.

Want to bet it's a similar process at A&M but with more people and bigger numbers? Also we seem to be better at being discreet which is nice.
nu awlins ag
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Builder93 said:

As for money guys, there's a guy also on the BOR named Cody Campbell, new oil money with Double Eagle, and I hear his name a lot in terms of "he wants this guy (can't remember who) and was not happy when Wells was hired instead."

But there are Aggies making him the money!!! One doesn't choose to go to tceh…..
Repeat the Line
I cannot fathom being worth upwards of $100 million and choosing to live in Lubbuttocks.
MooreTrucker
AG
SEATAC Aggie said:

I cannot fathom being worth upwards of $100 million and choosing to live in Lubbuttocks.
Then you've never actually lived in Lubbock.
Buford T. Justice
AG
If I am Sonny Dykes, and I am not, there is no way that I would leave SMU for Tech, even with the established relationship. He could be the king at SMU and rebuilding over and over eventually gets old.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
MooreTrucker
AG
nu awlins ag said:

MooreTrucker said:

Builder93 said:

But there are Aggies making him the money!!! One doesn't choose to go to tceh…..
Which has nothing to do with this. And yeah, lots of people chose to go to Tceh.

Dana Holgerson is the name I couldn't remember. That's the guy Campbell wanted instead of Wells.
Spyderman
AG
Gotta be all the dust out there.
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
EllisCoAg
AG
Tceh new hire could be harder to come by that initial thought. With the new B12 landscape, will they even be considered a P5 conference in the future? and what coach would want to go there?
I wanna see our defense pissed off, not confused, maybe a little murder in their hearts Reload12, 11/4/11
Halconblack
AG
Womble was invested in a company I once worked with. Nice enough guy, but we had several conversations on sports and talking with him was no different than the banter on Texags. In fact, he and some other donors were pretty high on Wells after they first hired him. The point of my statement is that all of these donors are better served picking a good AD and letting them do their job. Just because you were successful in business doesn't mean that you are going to be good at selecting the leader of a D-1 Football Program.
v/r
W
AG
the last 8 seasons for Tech...2014 to 2021...is one of the worst stretches in Red Raiders history --- especially in conference play.

have to go back to 1979 to 1985 to find a stretch just as bad
OKC~Ag
Divining Rod said:

Quote:

dang, $20million gets a lot @tceh,,,It wouldn't get much at A&M or texas...
mortal
AG
AD Hocutt and his committee has some issues to overcome. Tceh not the most glamorous job. Recruiting tough. No NIL money. Poor attendance. Four head coaches in 12 years. Conference on shaky ground. Broadcast exposure and revenue taking a hit. New head coach will have to deal with these same issues when hiring coordinators and staff.

I suspect new coach and new staff will be up-and-comers seeking a job at a new level (staff to coordinator, coordinator to head coach, or small school HC stepping up to major program). And I fear they will just be using Tceh as a stepping stone.
greg.w.h
AG
People make funding and hiring decisions. The foundations and administrators lead consensus formation and fundraising.

Kirby was on a segment with Gabe and Loftin and the Womble gifts were mentioned as an awesome positive of support by Dusty.
Divining Rod
Jarrin' Jay said:

You are delusional if you don't think the biggest of big $ Aggie boosters were not involved in the Jimbo hiring.....

I absolutely don't think they were not involved, and I'm not delusional.
nu awlins ag
AG
MooreTrucker said:

nu awlins ag said:

MooreTrucker said:

Builder93 said:

Which has nothing to do with this. And yeah, lots of people chose to go to Tceh.

Dana Holgerson is the name I couldn't remember. That's the guy Campbell wanted instead of Wells.

Good grief dude, lighten up.
The Collective
AG
Traylor makes sense, but I'd think his star could be brighter if he just keeps at it a few more years.
Oyster DuPree
AG
Reginald Thistlebottom "Dusty" Womble III
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.